996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

painting ground effects

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:42 AM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
painting ground effects

I'm thinking of painting the black ground effects to match the body of the car. I've seen this done on many of the cars shown on the forum. whats the best way to do it? remove and hit them with a rattle can, or go to the friendly neighborhood body shop. matching the artic silver doesnt seem to be a problem.

I recall that Boochuk did this I believe, and that Ben's ground effects also match the body. anyone who's done this have a suggestion?

cheers,

Last edited by judgejon; 04-05-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
What is a ground effect?

Old 04-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
I think "ground effect" is another word for body kit. Maybe he is talking about a lower add on lip spoiler?? I think they usally come in factory matte black.Kryolon makes that plastic paint i heard was very well.Probably better off with the spray can incase you scrape it up you dont have to keep going to the body shop to get it repainted

Old 04-05-2009, 10:07 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Yeah, the front lip could probably be painted with krylon fusion.. If you mean skirts and bumpers, I would have them professionally done, spray paint would look bad

Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
lol judgejon, i have been seriously thinking the same thing... It does look really good and makes it look like a Skirt Kit...

Old 04-06-2009, 02:31 AM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
These are OLD pics of the ride but you get the idea. did this when i first got the car.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Jayfunk did you have any issues with Chipping and all?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 PM
CosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the rough
I thought of doing that too, but am concerned about rock chips, especially the front.
I think painting them actually gives the illusion that the car is closer to the ground.
The black plastic moldings blend with the road surface, hence creating more space/clearance between your car and the ground.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
judgejon - haven't done it yet, but i'm doing it. I've been told to pop off the pieces myself and have a local paint shop just match it. Have a possible contact that can do them for me. It shouldn't be that hard. I'm going to get my clutch replaced this weekend, so I'll be sure to ask the mechanic how to pop them off and just get them painted and over with.......I agree, it'll give the car a lower look.

All C4S's should do this.....

Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Zookie
Jayfunk did you have any issues with Chipping and all?
Sup Zookie!

not at all. i mean, of course the front lip will get the most damage cuz of rocks and driveways but that cant be avoided. as long as the body shop you go to knows what they are doing, should be all A-OK. i would just take all the molding (sides, rear, front lip) and drop them off. be done in a few days or hell a day if you know them well

Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
good stuff from all... thanks. the pics were great...any more out there?

Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 PM
blackgti1350 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JayFunk
These are OLD pics of the ride but you get the idea. did this when i first got the car.

that looks sick. that wasnt your stock lip in the front was it?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys!

no, thats the turbo front lip. I had the stock C4S lip but didnt want to paint it (have seen it done and dont think it looks good painted). Got lucky and picked up this lip for 50 bucks so it was a no brainer.

my car now sports this:

Old 04-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Doc_Porsche is infamous around these partsDoc_Porsche is infamous around these parts
very nice JayFunk....... what are you riding on? slow mo or still shot pls.....

Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Jay, the car looks great. you have one of my very most favorite front ends. I think Ben Choi runs that same front lip as well. $50? Unbelievable. Looks very cool....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: painting ground effects