996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Awesome Jorge Glad to hear you can finally enjoy the the lights !

Joe

Old 04-29-2009, 07:08 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zdr2k
update.

normal flash rate with EP35 EP36 Led flsher from spectrumLED.com. Also installed side light LEDs with 194 SMT Tower IIs from same company.

everything flashes normal now.

the eagle has landed.
What "vintage" is your 996?

Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
1999 C2 -i think it's a early model (98).

hope that helps.

jorge

Old 04-30-2009, 05:22 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Looks like the lights work on 996 Mk1 (with maybe some help with a new flasher) but not on the 996 Mk2 because of the PSM/ABS issues.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:35 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Looks like the lights work on 996 Mk1 (with maybe some help with a new flasher) but not on the 996 Mk2 because of the PSM/ABS issues.
yep. looks that way. I still believe it is a load issue. Replacing just the bulbs with LEDs will most likely have the same effect and the fix is to install load resistors (cheap).

Someone commented at work that the lights look 997ish from slight distance.......

Anyway, good luck.

jorge

Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Mine is a 99 c2 Cab. Everything works fine and went in perfect. Jorge is saying he has a 99 as well and had issues with hyperblinking, if that's the case it may not be a mk1 mk2 issue, which is very strange

Old 05-02-2009, 06:58 AM
witman77 is infamous around these parts
I have a 2000 model C4 Cab. PSM and ABS lights lit-up immediately and stayed on after installing LED T-Lights, until I used this simple fix: Take the GRAY wire from the "unused" passenger, side rear fog light and attach/splice it to the BLACK wire, which runs between the T-Light's connector and the Black plastic base plug (this base/plug contains the tail/brake LED connector). At this point, the GRAY wire should be attached to the BLACK wire near the main connector; there should be plenty enough length to allow the rear fog light plug to reach its correct position (red bottom half, closest position to the engine compartment). Next use a P21 bulb (I used the U.S. equivalent: Sylvania, made in Germany #7506 LL) and plug it into the fog light base/plug - Note: The P21 bulb is the actual bulb recommended in the 996 Owner Manual; it is the 25watt version (don't use the P21/5watt). Now, with the bulb in the base, wrap a thin layer (You still want it to fit in the hole/slot) of aluminum foil around the bulb. This is to block the light from emitting from this otherwise unused position -- don't worry, once inserted the shiny aluminun foil matches the silver reflective background. I completed project last night, and it works perfectly! It's easy, cheap and completely reversible. Also an option, if you wanted to do the same mod to the driver side and forgo the fog light option, don't cover either bulb with foil and you would have a highly visible, SUPER bright brake light. Lastly if you don't want to use the above bulb, as a resistor, method, place an actual 25 watt resistor (I couldn't find one at 10pm) between the black and brown wires that attach to the Turn/Brake plug/base located at the T-Light's connector. Time to drive and show-off my new LED Tail Lights...finally!

Last edited by witman77; 05-02-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added U.S. Bulb equivalent
Old 05-02-2009, 09:45 AM
excellent. rep points for you!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:41 AM
witman77 is infamous around these parts
Cool Added Bulb issue w/ Simple Solution

Originally Posted by witman77
I have a 2000 model C4 Cab. PSM and ABS lights lit-up immediately and stayed on after installing LED T-Lights, until I used this simple fix: Take the GRAY wire from the "unused" passenger, side rear fog light and attach/splice it to the BLACK wire, which runs between the T-Light's connector and the Black plastic base plug (this base/plug contains the tail/brake LED connector). At this point, the GRAY wire should be attached to the BLACK wire near the main connector; there should be plenty enough length to allow the rear fog light plug to reach its correct position (red bottom half, closest position to the engine compartment). Next use a P21 bulb (I used the U.S. equivalent: Sylvania, made in Germany #7506 LL) and plug it into the fog light base/plug - Note: The P21 bulb is the actual bulb recommended in the 996 Owner Manual; it is the 25watt version (don't use the P21/5watt). Now, with the bulb in the base, wrap a thin layer (You still want it to fit in the hole/slot) of aluminum foil around the bulb. This is to block the light from emitting from this otherwise unused position -- don't worry, once inserted the shiny aluminun foil matches the silver reflective background. I completed project last night, and it works perfectly! It's easy, cheap and completely reversible. Also an option, if you wanted to do the same mod to the driver side and forgo the fog light option, don't cover either bulb with foil and you would have a highly visible, SUPER bright brake light. Lastly if you don't want to use the above bulb, as a resistor, method, place an actual 25 watt resistor (I couldn't find one at 10pm) between the black and brown wires that attach to the Turn/Brake plug/base located at the T-Light's connector. Time to drive and show-off my new LED Tail Lights...finally!
As mentioned, I created my own resistor using a bulb and foil. Despite using the required wattage bulb, the thin layer of foil apparently caused heat to build-up causing the bulb to go bad. So, I followed through with the last above mentioned option by using an actual resistor. Believe it or not, I found a JamStrait brand 25 watt 6 ohm resistor at, of all places, AutoZone. The $9 resistor (two come in the box but I only needed/used one on psngr side t-light) snaps right onto the 2 wires (see above quote for method, wire colors) NO soldering needed. VERY easy fix.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 AM
yellow7 is infamous around these parts
Do they still have more of those smoke led tail lights left ?

Old 05-31-2009, 11:04 AM
LoucasDJ5 is infamous around these parts
So are there any wideboday/turbo led tail light solutions out there? or anything at least in development that people know of?!?

Old 10-07-2009, 03:50 PM
VinceT is infamous around these parts
I put a set of LED tail lights in my 2001 966 had trouble with the cruise control not working. Took it to the dealer found the tail lights disable the cruise. Put old lights back in the cruise works. Need to do something to make them work to the resistance in the LED lights any Ideas
Finally got it with two resistors in the brake light circuit. Work fine now..

Last edited by VinceT; 11-02-2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: problem solved
Old 11-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
I just bought a 2004 996 C4S and it has two Pressure cracks on the top of both tail lights. Do these come for this model and would this be the answer to my problem.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:09 PM
sims159914 is infamous around these parts
nice

Old 11-01-2009, 07:57 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
look good, and clean.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights