996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:31 AM
Sharky996 is infamous around these parts
Just got mine, doing the install

Hi Guys,

I just got my set in the mail a few hours ago.

I'm just about to do the install. Figured most of the plug connections out, but I have to ask, why are we not connecting the parking light?

What is the reason? And, what happens if I do?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sharky996
Hi Guys,

I'm just about to do the install. Figured most of the plug connections out, but I have to ask, why are we not connecting the parking light?

Thanks!

the reg brake lights plug, light up to parking light...so no need to plug it in..

Old 11-11-2009, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by Omarcoolguy
the reg brake lights plug, light up to parking light...so no need to plug it in..
Are you saying that when the brakes are applied, the parking light section is also lit by default?

What if I would like to have the parking light function? Is this not possible?

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:43 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
You will have all the functions as before. Even the side parking lights are on.

Will blow fuse if you connect. You should leave it disconnected.....and protect from ground with tape our something like that.

jorge

Old 11-16-2009, 09:46 AM
That's good to know! That if I connect it a fuse will blow! Thanks.

I won't connect it then. But, then, if I wanted to use the park lights, I can't anymore, right? Since they are not connected?

I'm a little confused when you said that I will have all functions still. Could you clarify what you meant?

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
sorry for not being clear. The parking lights work as normal without the small connector connected. There are LEDs that light up the side parking lights, guess it's done internally.

G/L

jorge

Post some pics up when installed

Old 12-04-2009, 10:32 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
I'm giving these LED tails a lot of thought. Sometimes, reading this thread makes me think it is not worth it. But looking at the pics, specially the smoked ones, sometimes makes me think that it is worth a shot.

Having a Jeep Wrangler with LED tails (very OEM looking, actually), I've experienced occasional hyperblinking on the passenger side while the lights are on but sometimes, it is normal, therefore, it is quite inconsistent.

My P-car is a '99 Mk.1 996 which falls into the higher success rate, based on the results of this thread. I don't know if Edwin of Precision Porsche is still selling this stuff, but looking at ebay sellers, price ranges from $450 to $650. I really don't know if all these came from the same factory or if there are any differences at all. Would those with these LED lights post here where they got their LED tails from? Which vendor or which ebay seller? Maybe we can see a pattern somewhere on which source has the highest success rate?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:44 PM
orangec2 is infamous around these parts
jr966,
I got my led's from precision Porsche. I have a 2000 C2 mk1, and have not had any problems with them at all. I like them so much that I got the led 3rd brake lights which I like as well. Once I installed them, I had to install some load resistors because my cruise control did not work. But after I got the resistors in, thanks to a earlier post everything works fine. The led's on ebay looks to be the same as what Precision has, check the shipping on them to see if they are better deal.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
I got mine from precision as well. 99 c2 cab plugged in and worked right away. No hyper blinking. They update the car a lot.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:59 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Sharky996
Hi Guys,

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Omarcoolguy
Originally Posted by zdr2k
You will have all the functions as before. Even the side parking lights are on.

Will blow fuse if you connect. You should leave it disconnected.....and protect from ground with tape our something like that.

jorge
Originally Posted by zdr2k
sorry for not being clear. The parking lights work as normal without the small connector connected. There are LEDs that light up the side parking lights, guess it's done internally.

G/L

jorge

Post some pics up when installed
I got my LED smoked tails in. Trying to figure out the connections. When you guys mentioned "parking lights", I would assume you meant "rear sidemarker lights"? There is a small wire on the side that looks to be a 194-type bulb connector for the rear sidemarkers. So, DO NOT connect this wire? And the rear sidemarkers will light up anyway without connecting this wire? Am I getting this correctly?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Here's a pic of one of my LED tails.

1. Do not connect 194-type socket for LED sidemarkers?
2. Turn signal terminal goes to turn signal socket.
3. Brake/Park terminal goes to brake/park socket.
4. Reverse bulb/socket goes iinto reverse slot.
5. Rear fogs? I didn't really check if our US-spec cars are equipped with this. But if not equipped, what did you guys do with this socket? Got a socket and wired up a rear fog light on the driver's side and a dummy socket on the passenger side?
6. What did you guys do on those huge openings on the brake/park and signal lights to prevent moisture from entering?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
everything plugs in normal ...except dont plug the little corner ones in...good job buying these , it will finish the look of ur car

Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
cant wait to see them on your car! how do you like the short shifter?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all

Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by jstrat85
cant wait to see them on your car! how do you like the short shifter?
i haven't installed it yet. still waiting for the agency linkage to come in (which is any time soon) so it can be done in one shot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights