996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jr1966
i haven't installed it yet. still waiting for the agency linkage to come in (which is any time soon) so it can be done in one shot.
i see

Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Okay, LED tails installed by my indy (together with other stuff including the B&M SSK with Agency linkage but that is for another thread). Will get the car back later this afternoon.

No fitment issues. No hyperblinking with lights on, but I was prepared though with the LED flasher recommended on this post. Next thing to find out is if cruise control works.

As soon as everything is done, I will put up a new thread on these recently installed mods on my car with pics.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Sharky996 is infamous around these parts
I've also installed these lights on my MY98 996 and there is no fast blinker issue. Park lights also working as advertised. As for the cruise control, I was not aware of any issue till I read the previous post. I'll check it this evening to see if my cruise control has been affected.

What should I do if it is affected?

Old 02-27-2010, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by VinceT
I put a set of LED tail lights in my 2001 966 had trouble with the cruise control not working. Took it to the dealer found the tail lights disable the cruise. Put old lights back in the cruise works. Need to do something to make them work to the resistance in the LED lights any Ideas
Finally got it with two resistors in the brake light circuit. Work fine now..
My cruise doesn't work either. What resistances/wattage did you use and where in the circuit did you place the resistors?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:03 AM
orangec2 is infamous around these parts
I got my resistors here, and it has the connection instructions as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50W-6...Q5fAccessories

Old 02-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by orangec2
I got my resistors here, and it has the connection instructions as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50W-6...Q5fAccessories
Do I need a pair for the blinkers and a pair for the brake lights? The reason I ask is because I don't seem to have any hyper-flashing of the signals and the brake LEDs work fine, so I am wondering which set (turns or brakes) that are causing the cruise control to malfunction, or both? Which did it for you?

Thaks for the help and information!

Old 02-27-2010, 06:13 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by zdr2k
update.

normal flash rate with EP35 EP36 Led flsher from spectrumLED.com. Also installed side light LEDs with 194 SMT Tower IIs from same company.

everything flashes normal now.

the eagle has landed.
Did you have any issues with your cruise control? If you did, did your LED flashers solve the issue? I haven't checked my cruise control yet but I do have in possession a pair of these LED flashers that you used. If I find out my cruise control doesn't work, just wondering if the LED flashers would work as they also act like or is similar to the resistors that others had used to solve the cruise issue. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM
I just got a pair of resistors for the brake lights. I did not have the hyperflashing problem either. I did install LED 3rd brake lights as well as the LED taillights, I noticed that their was some voltage bleed through, because when the lights were turned off you could see that the LED's were dimly lit. Also, my cruise control light would come on when I first turned the key to the "On" position along with all the other lights on the bottom of the instrument cluster and went out just like normal. But when I tried turning on the cruise control after the car was running it would not come on. I read in other posts that you need to have some resistance in the circuit, just like the old incandescent bulds did for you to engage the cruise control. I installed one (1) resistor on the brake like circuit on each of the tail lights. This cured the problem of the voltage bleed through, "No more dimly lit 3rd brake light or marker lights on the tail lights" as well giving me back my cruis control.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Here is a bad picture that I took with my phone.
The resister is connected to the black and brown wires for the brake light.

Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
They look great!

Now if I could only find a set for my C4S...

Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Checked the cruise. Doesn't work. I wonder if the LED flasher would work rather than the resistors. It is the EP35 EP36 cause I already have them.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 PM
I tried the LED flasher first. Didn't have the hyper flashing with the stock flasher relay or the LED flasher relay. I was hoping it would do the trick too. But ended up putting in the resistors. Not hard at all, just have to unscrew the retaining screw that holds the tail light assembly in place and splice two wires. They come with the wire splice connectors. Didn't want to drill any holes to mount the resistors so I used industrial strength double sided tape. Been holding them in place for 4 months without a problem. No evidence of heat degradation either.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Roffa is infamous around these parts
Nice lights. I might consider doing something like this myself. I'm still afraid smoked lights on my black car will be a little too black...

Old 03-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Roffa
Nice lights. I might consider doing something like this myself. I'm still afraid smoked lights on my black car will be a little too black...
Actually, it won't look that black because of the chrome reflectors behind the smoked lenses. Otherwise, you can always go with the clear ones. I mean clear/red, not the all clear which is all over ebay now.

However, I will be posting up pics of my car's rear end soon and you can check those out and see if they will be too black for you.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by orangec2
I tried the LED flasher first. Didn't have the hyper flashing with the stock flasher relay or the LED flasher relay. I was hoping it would do the trick too. But ended up putting in the resistors. Not hard at all, just have to unscrew the retaining screw that holds the tail light assembly in place and splice two wires. They come with the wire splice connectors. Didn't want to drill any holes to mount the resistors so I used industrial strength double sided tape. Been holding them in place for 4 months without a problem. No evidence of heat degradation either.
Thanks! This is helpful! Resistors ordered and on their way!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights