996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
I've been looking high and low for led tail light for my C4S...still looking!
In the mean time I had to do something, so I blacked them out.
I have to say I love it!

Makes the car look wider and meaner.
Cheap but a lot of work.

Cheers,

Sid.

Attached Images      
Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Looks good man ! Mean as hell

Old 03-06-2010, 06:08 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
I've been looking high and low for led tail light for my C4S...still looking!
In the mean time I had to do something, so I blacked them out.
I have to say I love it!

Makes the car look wider and meaner.
Cheap but a lot of work.

Cheers,

Sid.
Did you use Lamin-X to smoke the tails?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:49 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Okay, just a pic update on my smoked LED tails. And just to keep all pics and info in one thread, I decided not to make a new thread on this.

The smoked LED tails doesn't look as smoked as the LED 3rd brake lights. Sometimes, they doesn't look smoked at all (until a set of non-smoked is there for a comparison). However, on some angles and specially on any angles from afar and also at night, the smoked is very obvious. The closer you get, the less smoked these look. Sometimes, I'm thinking if I should use light-smoked LaminX to make them look a bit darker a bit, but I think it is better to leave them the way they are, otherwise, they're gonna look too dark from afar.

First, here is a side-by-side comparo of the OEM and LED, with OEM on top.

And here they are on my dirty car.

Last edited by jr1966; 03-06-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry if this was already covered but anyone care to comment on the quality of the plastic on the aftermarket LED tails? I know some of the ones I've had for other cars were on the fragile and brittle side.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Hey jr1966,
I have to say i really like those led taillight!
it looks very clean, crisp and mean at the same time.

For that matter it's the same as the rest of the mods you did on your ride, don't even get me going on those rims!
holy crap, wow, forget about it!

Man those look good!

What are they, where did you get them and how much?

regarding your headlight masks, I've seen more than a few before I bought mine, you're right there's a lot of crappy after-market ones out there.
That's why I ended up going with Techart masks...at $850,- they are expensive (especially compared to jobbers) but for this one it really makes a big difference in the fit and quality (they're very thin).

Just make sure the paint shop doesn't bake them because they turn into curly fries!

Oh yeah to answer a question posted to me here, the blackout on my taillights are not film I did it with VHT nite shade spay and Dupond acrylic clear coat, lots of it!

Cheers,

Sid.

Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Hey jr1966,
I have to say i really like those led taillight!
it looks very clean, crisp and mean at the same time.

For that matter it's the same as the rest of the mods you did on your ride, don't even get me going on those rims!
holy crap, wow, forget about it!

Man those look good!

What are they, where did you get them and how much?

regarding your headlight masks, I've seen more than a few before I bought mine, you're right there's a lot of crappy after-market ones out there.
That's why I ended up going with Techart masks...at $850,- they are expensive (especially compared to jobbers) but for this one it really makes a big difference in the fit and quality (they're very thin).

Just make sure the paint shop doesn't bake them because they turn into curly fries!

Oh yeah to answer a question posted to me here, the blackout on my taillights are not film I did it with VHT nite shade spay and Dupond acrylic clear coat, lots of it!

Cheers,

Sid.
Thanks for the comp, Sid. You're ride is very nice as well. So I see that you got that bumper from Wicked? Fiberglass, isn't it? How's the quality? I love that bumper but it is very pricey if you add in all the little things like the grilles and the LEDs.

I believe you're asking about the rims? They're OZ Ultraleggera HLTs. Got them from Tire Rack. They're around $2k/set, as I recall.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Sorry if this was already covered but anyone care to comment on the quality of the plastic on the aftermarket LED tails? I know some of the ones I've had for other cars were on the fragile and brittle side.
Quality is typical aftermarket quality that I've had in my other cars, which is pretty good. I've never had any brittle ones though.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by jr1966
Thanks for the comp, Sid. You're ride is very nice as well. So I see that you got that bumper from Wicked? Fiberglass, isn't it? How's the quality? I love that bumper but it is very pricey if you add in all the little things like the grilles and the LEDs.

I believe you're asking about the rims? They're OZ Ultraleggera HLTs. Got them from Tire Rack. They're around $2k/set, as I recall.
Thanks JR, I just gave a cost breakdown of the bumper on your headlight thread.
I'm afraid there's more costs attached to this bumper...but damn it looks good!

Cheers!

Sid.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Sharky996 is infamous around these parts
Cruise Control fixed!

Just completed the resistor mod and it fixed the cruise control! Thanks guys.

Attached are some pics of the DIY.

I bought Two 6 ohm 50W resistors from the electronics store at $3.50 each. A metre of 18AWG wire for $0.50 and Four T-connectors at $0.25 cents each. Add some heavy duty double sided tape and heat shrink tubing I had on hand, and soldering work, the total bill came up to only $8.50.

Attached Images     
Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 AM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
I wouldn't stick it on the light. I've been running resistors for my front leds for a while and they get extremely hot. I suggest you run a longer wire and attach it to some metal just in case.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
I wouldn't stick it on the light. I've been running resistors for my front leds for a while and they get extremely hot. I suggest you run a longer wire and attach it to some metal just in case.
i was going to say the same thing right now!!! these get very hot!!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Geschwindigkeit is infamous around these parts
I'm very interested in the LED's, but, after reading all the compromises you guys have had to make, I think I'll wait for the plug n' play version (if they ever come available).

Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Smile

Originally Posted by Geschwindigkeit
I'm very interested in the LED's, but, after reading all the compromises you guys have had to make, I think I'll wait for the plug n' play version (if they ever come available).
I think the plug n' play version LED's over time will become available its only a question of when exactly.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Geschwindigkeit
But this is plug-n-play. There were just a couple of minor issues.....hyperblinking and cruise control........that can be solved using the resistors which is an easy fix. The only thing the manufacturer needs to do is to put built-in resistors. If these are made in a garage by an enthusiast, our issues will all be heard. However, as they are a factory, I doubt anyone reads our threads and I also doubt they will do so for the remaining of a minority of which market had already been partially saturated by the earlier versions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights