996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Sharky996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
I wouldn't stick it on the light. I've been running resistors for my front leds for a while and they get extremely hot. I suggest you run a longer wire and attach it to some metal just in case.
I did think about that before I stuck it on the light. My reasoning was that the resistors shouldn't get any hotter than actual bulbs themselves, which are housed in the light cluster anyway, in close proximity to the opposite side of the same area that I placed the resistors. I am under the impression that the housings, while they could still melt under high heat, should be able to take the heat generated from bulbs, etc.

However, I could be wrong about this. Do you guys know if the resistors would put out more heat than the bulbs would?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 PM
orangec2 is infamous around these parts
I was worried about the heat too. That is why I mounted my on the metal section back by the pigtail. That way I had an air gap for the heat to dissipate.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Tupe is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

I have to say, those look really sharp!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
A+ Lights

Old 03-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Vipercliff is infamous around these parts
I received the lights today. After connecting them, the only lights that work are the blinkers, however they blink fast. Aside from the blinkers I have no other lights? Please advice.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Sharky996 is infamous around these parts
That's strange. Your reverse and fogs use the same bulbs as before, there are no LEDs for those, so they should work as before 0regardless of having change the light assembly to the new one.

The LEDs connected should now have replaced only the brake/main light dual filament bulb, and the signal bulb.

Given that you have the signals working, but blinking fast, means you will need the resistors.

As for the brake/main light LEDs, you should check the connection again to see if you have inserted the dual filament style bulb base from the new light (it has the base but no bulb) to the car's bulb connector.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:40 PM
I have three blown fuses. I'll change them out and try again.

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Reverse lights

Ok. Changed fuses. I now have brake and blinker lights, However I don't have reverse lights. has anyone came across this one?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 04:57 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
Trade

i have smoke/red combination..anyone have the all clear version and want to trade?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:54 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Vipercliff
Ok. Changed fuses. I now have brake and blinker lights, However I don't have reverse lights. has anyone came across this one?

Thanks
The reverse lights aren't LEDs. The LED tails uses the exact same bulb & sockets the OEM tails use. If they worked before with the OEMs, they should work now with the LED tails. Something else may be wrong there....fuse, burned-out bulbs, wiring, corrosion in sockets, etc......

Old 03-26-2010, 07:13 PM
What fuse for revers light?

Does anyone know what fuse on the fuse panel goes to the reverse lights on a 99/996?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Frög is infamous around these parts
Ok, I saw a 996 today with rice clear taillights.. Man, someone brought shame to this car, I was embarrassed to own one.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:03 AM
dynemd is infamous around these parts
Fuse to Backup Lights B5 (second row from the top, 5th fuse from the left)
7.5 amp. LINK CLICK

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2010, 07:24 AM
bavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jstrat85
some pics of red and clear on my car. will post more pics later.

WOW, that looks great! Amazing how such a subtle change really improves the look of the 996 rear end. Very modern looking:-)

Old 03-28-2010, 08:25 AM
airedale is infamous around these parts
Led all around.

Hello all,

I just received my new led tail lights in the mail. I was suprised there is no oem type pig tail on the new tail lights. Must I reuse the pigtail from the stock assembly? If so, is this reversible???

Do the new leds need to use some of the old oem parts?

For that money $500.00+-, I thought these tail lights would be 'plug and play'.

After reading the last 14 pages I am more confused than before.

Has anyone done a step-by step? With photos, diagrams, and schematics?

Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights