996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 AM
orangec2 is infamous around these parts
Here is a link to some installation instructions:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...houghts-7.html

Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Airdale,
Also make sure that you "DO NOT" plug in the small side marker lights. They look just like the oem connectors. I was told by Tony at Precision and others on this forum that have done the install that you don't need to plug them in to get the side marker lights to work. And it is true. I just taped mine off and coverered the hole that they plug into to. You don't want them to bounce around and short things out. I saw a post earlier mention that if you do plug them in it will blow fuses.
I hope this helps. IMO they really look nice. Have had several comments that they make the car look newer.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Sharky996 is infamous around these parts
They are plug n play. Unplug all the bulb holders from the original lights, remove the signal and brake bulbs from their holders, keeing the reverse and brake bulbs in their holders. Re-insert the reverse and brake bulbs and their holders into the new light cluster, connect the LED signal and brake bayonet bases fromt he new light to their respective holders (that you took bulbs out of) and plug these into the new lights.

Ignore the park light connectors on the new lights. Your park lights will still work as the park light power source piggybacks on the main/brake lights anyway.

Done!

Check for hyper blink and cruise control function (if you have cruise). Add resistors if you have either of these issues.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:20 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by airedale
Hello all,

I just received my new led tail lights in the mail. I was suprised there is no oem type pig tail on the new tail lights. Must I reuse the pigtail from the stock assembly? If so, is this reversible???

Do the new leds need to use some of the old oem parts?

For that money $500.00+-, I thought these tail lights would be 'plug and play'.

After reading the last 14 pages I am more confused than before.

Has anyone done a step-by step? With photos, diagrams, and schematics?

Thanks.
Yes, it is p-n-p. You use the oem pigtail. All you need to do is figure out which one goes to which. The location of the rear fogs and reverse are completely different from oem. The one with the single contact goes to the signal lights. The one with the double-contact goes to the brake/park light. Do not connect the 194-type connectors for the sidemarkers, as everyone had mentioned. The sidemarkers are going to work and the connection is done internally. I just don't know why they have to make it confusing by leaving a connector in there and no instructions are even provided to not connect them. Just get the resistors you see elsewhere in this thread to make sure that your cruise works and you don't get hyperblinking. You can get either or both.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 PM
airedale is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the replies.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM
valmeida is infamous around these parts
Does anyone have a picture with clear led's installed in your porsche.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:04 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by valmeida
Does anyone have a picture with clear led's installed in your porsche.
now i think that's a bit ricey, don't you think?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
I couldn't imagine clear looking anything but bad. Think of the last car you've seen with clear tail lights... It's an old fad that even the acura guys are shying away from.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:56 PM
That is why i ask to see a picture .

Old 03-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I tried having the oem light smoked and hated them.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:11 PM
philooo is infamous around these parts
does anyone sell something to retrofit the 997.2 tail lights. I love those but evidently ti would require some a little body work.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:04 PM
airedale is infamous around these parts
Night mare LED taillights

Hello,

This LED taillight has turned into a night mare for me.

First I blew the two side-marker fuses. Disconnected that mess and put bulbs back into the original sockets. (Maybe that's wrong.) Will take those lamps out, first thing.

I replaced the 7.5 amp fuses for the side markers , but the brake lights do not light up now.

Or the center light.

And the TIP is stuck in park.

That's the bad part, Can't get the car to go into gear. Maybe it needs a light or some feedback from the brake light pedal switch for the tip to move out of park and into drive?

Fuses for brake lights look OK. Same circuit as cruise control.

Also when I try moving the shifter with the engine running it lights up the PSM and abs dash lights.

Unless something just happened to break in the steering /shifter locking device, I am stumped.

Ideas?

I am ready to just go back to stock. If I still can.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:14 PM
You do not need to plug in the small side marker bulbs at all.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Hello,

This LED taillight has turned into a night mare for me.

First I blew the two side-marker fuses. Disconnected that mess and put bulbs back into the original sockets. (Maybe that's wrong.) Will take those lamps out, first thing.

I replaced the 7.5 amp fuses for the side markers , but the brake lights do not light up now.

Or the center light.

And the TIP is stuck in park.

That's the bad part, Can't get the car to go into gear. Maybe it needs a light or some feedback from the brake light pedal switch for the tip to move out of park and into drive?

Fuses for brake lights look OK. Same circuit as cruise control.

Also when I try moving the shifter with the engine running it lights up the PSM and abs dash lights.

Unless something just happened to break in the steering /shifter locking device, I am stumped.

Ideas?

I am ready to just go back to stock. If I still can.

Thanks.
Posts here had mentioned a lot of times never to connect those sidemarkers as the connections had been done internally. Try putting the stock lights back on and see if everything goes back to normal.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...32-post28.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights