996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Wheelman is infamous around these parts
Did you get the clear ones or smoked. So far, 2 smoked ones, mine and zdr2k, have a fast blinking rate. Keep us posted..I wonder if it is just the smoked ones with a defect or both?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
[QUOTE=Wheelman;2353829]Is there a certain relay or voltage that will fit or is it one size fits all

I would take ur relay out and take it with u to make sure it's the right size

Old 04-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
J let us know if you have the same fast flashing problem mine should be in this week........

Old 04-21-2009, 06:14 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Wheelman
Did you get the clear ones or smoked. So far, 2 smoked ones, mine and zdr2k, have a fast blinking rate. Keep us posted..I wonder if it is just the smoked ones with a defect or both?
Did we ever hear from the guy in California that was used as a test car for an install (somewhere about page 5 in the original multipage thread). I would have thought if there was a fast flash problem it would have surfaced then. IIRC, he installed smoked lights.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Here's one of the posts I was looking for - no problems reported by OrangeC2 and lots of previous posters asked about potential LED problems -
Quote:
I see the legal disclaimer but does these lights trigger something on the computer error message or something? What electrical issues could arise? Is there anyone running this on their car already, any issues? Anybody is welcome to chime in.

I am interested but I want to see the red/clear before I decide which one to get. So I'm waiting to pull the trigger until I see both red/smoked or red/clear.

The disclaimer is just the standard verbage I've seen on aftermarket lights. OrangeC2 tried these on and no error message was found (since it plugs into the stock harness, I dont' see how it can mess things up). Just a extra tidbit of info, the manufacturer of these lights also make others LED tailights for other cars so they are not new in this market. No one is running these in their cars as the lights haven't hit the market yet.

No problem, I will post pics once the shipment comes in.

Edwin

Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Update:

We installed a set on our car last night (litronic) and everything worked fine. I'll have an video up soon.

Edwin

Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Update:

We installed a set on our car last night (litronic) and everything worked fine. I'll have an video up soon.

Edwin
With the range of 996's spanning 1999 to 2004, have you been able to determine if the problems are related to any particular vintage - Mk1, Mk2, etc.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
my car is at the shop so i cant install my lights. i might get it back on wensday so when i get my car back i will install asap!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
With the range of 996's spanning 1999 to 2004, have you been able to determine if the problems are related to any particular vintage - Mk1, Mk2, etc.
Good idea...please post the year of your car and what problems you're having

We have a 99 C2 and it worked fine

Edwin

Old 04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey Edwin,
can you post like a diagram of where each stock harness will connect to? Did you connect the smoked lights or clear? Is there a difference in the years as far as connectors and if they will hyperblink compared to others? Did it blink normal with the lights off and with the lights on? Even my hazard lights were hyperblinking.

Last edited by Wheelman; 04-22-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Doug996InKC is infamous around these partsDoug996InKC is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Driver-Side Sits Lower Than Stock

Attached is a photo of the connections I made for the driver-side light. The fitment wasn't very good. The light sits lower than factory, which means there's a gap at the top. I'll work on the passenger side and if they both sit too low, I may return them to Edwin. If only the driver sits low, I may ask for a replacement driver-side. I've only tested parking lights, not blinkers.

Photos attached -- Red/Smoked.

UPDATE: SEE POST #61 BY "zdr2k". THERE SHOULD NOT BE A GAP BETWEEN THE TWO PEGS SHOWN IN THE THIRD PHOTO BELOW.

Attached Images    

Last edited by Doug996InKC; 04-22-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the diagram, I hope you post the passenger side when you get it done. TIA..

Do you have Litronic lights? Fitment is not close to perfect but I love the look of the lights.

I'm gonna go buy a grommet today, some guide pegs for the black rubber guides that are too short, and look for an LED flasher.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
Hey Edwin,
can you post like a diagram of where each stock harness will connect to? Did you connect the smoked lights or clear? Is there a difference in the years as far as connectors and if they will hyperblink compared to others? Did it blink normal with the lights off and with the lights on? Even my hazard lights were hyperblinking.
I will take a pic of it. we connected the red/smoked and we have asked the porsche dealership if there were any differences in the mk1 and mk2s and they said no. Everything blinked normal with lights on/off/flash/hazards. Maybe I can check it out this week?

Originally Posted by Doug996InKC
Attached is a photo of the connections I made for the driver-side light. The fitment wasn't very good. The light sits lower than factory, which means there's a gap at the top. I'll work on the passenger side and if they both sit too low, I may return them to Edwin. If only the driver sits low, I may ask for a replacement driver-side. I've only tested parking lights, not blinkers.

Doug, thanks for the photos. How does yours blink? hyperblink like everyone else? If you want to return, that is fine and please let me know but for those who want to return, please make sure to not make any modifications to the lights so we can either return them back to the manufacturer or sell them on ebay with disclaimers about the hyperblinking.

Thanks for the diagram, I hope you post the passenger side when you get it done. TIA..

Do you have Litronic lights? Fitment is not close to perfect but I love the look of the lights.

I'm gonna go buy a grommet today, some guide pegs for the black rubber guides that are too short, and look for an LED flasher.
I believe washers would work too if you can't find a rubber grommet

Edwin

Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Doug996InKC

Doug,

I looked again and the set on our car looks to fit perfect. Can you post a pic closer that shows where it's off? Refund is not a problem if you are not 100% satisfied. Has anyone else out there have the same issue?

Thanks

Edwin

Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Doug996InKC is infamous around these partsDoug996InKC is infamous around these parts
Cool Top Gap Zoomed

Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Doug,

I looked again and the set on our car looks to fit perfect. Can you post a pic closer that shows where it's off? Refund is not a problem if you are not 100% satisfied. Has anyone else out there have the same issue?

Thanks

Edwin
Edwin, here are two more photos. Will find out tonight how the passenger side fits. Comforting to know you're standing behind the products! Thanks! (Will report back on blinking patterns tomorrow -- Thursday, Apr. 23, 2009)

Attached Images   

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights