996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
sounds like an impedance mismatch.... the abs/psm is triggered when it thinks you have a blown brake bulb.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
whats up guys? i installed my tail lights today and they look out of this world!!!! no Hyperblink no nothing. my car is a 1999 with litronics that didnt come with the car. i put them in my self. they look so good! only one question? when you open you fog lights for the rear arent both of them supposed to light up? mine only ones does??

Old 04-25-2009, 08:03 PM
witman77 is infamous around these parts
Smile Hyper-Flash Solution for the New 996 LED Tail Lights

Because the new LEDs in the new 996 tail-lights do not consume as much power as standard bulbs, they do not draw an equal amount of current as standard bulbs. This lowered current draw causes the car's computer to "think" the bulb is burned-out, which triggers a "hyper-flash" mode designed to notify the driver a bulb replacement is needed.

To trick the car's computer you will need high wattage resistors 20-50 watts. NOTE: Do not use the small, low wattage electronic resistors as they will be overloaded and possibly melt.

To fix your Turn Signal Flashing problem: To start, you will need 2 Resistors. The resistor's values depend on how many led bulbs are used to replace each idvidual bulb. For example, if you only installed 2 bulbs (see pic below - each bulb consists of multiple, small LEDs) one bulb per tail-light on each side, then you would need (2) 6-8ohm resistors between 20-50watts. Note: I do not yet have a set of the new 996 tail-lights to test the the LED's current draw for each location. Regardless, this information should remain applicable and fix the hyper-flash issue.

The brake lights are not working correctly and/or the PSM/Brake dash light is illuminated: The PSM & Brake in-dash, indicator lights are inter-related. Once the following process is complete, these lights should turn-off as your computer will no longer have a reason to trigger them on. You will likely need to complete the same resistor mod. However, you may want to use a slightly higher wattage resistor, because the brake lights have a semi-continous current draw versus interval flashing.

Here is a general use diagram to follow for installing your resistors:

Old 04-25-2009, 08:04 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jstrat85
whats up guys? i installed my tail lights today and they look out of this world!!!! no Hyperblink no nothing. my car is a 1999 with litronics that didnt come with the car. i put them in my self. they look so good! only one question? when you open you fog lights for the rear arent both of them supposed to light up? mine only ones does??
Glad to hear they work for you. Rear fog light only illuminates on driver's side. Been that way a long time.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:56 PM
paul w. is infamous around these parts
jstrat85..can you please post a pic of the tail lights without putting them on or pushing on the brake. I would like to see what they look like. Thanks for the help..very much appreciated!!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Glad to hear they work for you. Rear fog light only illuminates on driver's side. Been that way a long time.
i thought that too. thanks i will post pics asap but my photobucket account is being gay!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by paul w.
jstrat85..can you please post a pic of the tail lights without putting them on or pushing on the brake. I would like to see what they look like. Thanks for the help..very much appreciated!!!!
will do buddy.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:08 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by paul w.
Post 56 in this thread shows pictures. Post 80 in this thread refers you to original thread with lots of pictures. Can't do all the work for you.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Stingray2006 has a spectacular aura aboutStingray2006 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Post 56 in this thread shows pictures. Post 80 in this thread refers you to original thread with lots of pictures. Can't do all the work for you.

I think, Paul wants to see clear-red combination on the car, which photos I would also like to see

Kras

Old 04-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Banned
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
it's easy to get both fogs light up.

I have done it in my 996 and looks great.

Just add a bulb to the other side,

in my case , i wired it to the existing 12+ once lights are on, therefore bypassing fog switch. i used LED bulbs so they are not super bright.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Installed my lights today they look great no problems at all with hyperblinking or lights on the dash coming up. I got the black/smoke my car is a 99 C2CAB with aftermarket HID'S in headlights and fog lights. Will post some pics later took some daytime pics going to wait till it gets dark out to take some more.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by yellowbmr
I have done it in my 996 and looks great.

Just add a bulb to the other side,

in my case , i wired it to the existing 12+ once lights are on, therefore bypassing fog switch. i used LED bulbs so they are not super bright.
i insatlled a bulb in there but it still doesnt work?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned
some pics of red and clear on my car. will post more pics later.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:31 PM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
Looks amazing

Old 04-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Jam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jstrat85
i insatlled a bulb in there but it still doesnt work?
You have to wire it to the other fog light.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights