996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

springs/sways advice..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 AM
EB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing
been there done that....
I settled on Bilstein PSS9s although I would go PSS10s now and H&R front and rear swaybars. A4 Wheel corner balance and I could not be happier.
thx. what model/size sways did you end up with?

what exactly is a 4 wheel corner balance anyway?

Old 04-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Originally Posted by EB847
thx. what about them felt wrong?
Felt over sprung and under dampened.

If I hit a dip in the middle of a fast sweeper, the car kinda "floated" for a sec or two.

I replaced the stock shocks with Bilstein Sports, and it felt great......but without the ability to adjust the dampening, not as good as the JIC's.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 AM
EB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Brando
Felt over sprung and under dampened.

If I hit a dip in the middle of a fast sweeper, the car kinda "floated" for a sec or two.

I replaced the stock shocks with Bilstein Sports, and it felt great......but without the ability to adjust the dampening, not as good as the JIC's.
very helpful. thanks!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:01 PM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
I am in a similar situation EB. As a matter of fact MC and himself have referrenced one of my threads. Even though I read a lot of the threads I still felt I had a little different question than the answers I was seeing. Plus I wanted to see if there was any new input. I would not bother putting lowering springs as the previous owner of my car did. Lowered the car on stock suspension and pretty much wasted the shocks of which they were not designed for. MC indicated that he just changed the sways but that wouldn't achieve the lowering you want. No suspension that I have found comes fully complete except for the Porsche X74. This is a truly bolt in application. With Bilstein PSS9 or 10 or H&R... you will need to reuse or replace the top bearing mount and some other pieces. I am looking at buying all of those pieces plus the ROW M030 and it is ~ $2000 total. I think the Cross suspension may be complete as it includes pillow ball mounts but are quite a bit more expensive.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
TC - swing by and drive my car sometime. I'm sure Himself would let you do the same. That should give you a good idea of two options

Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by TexasChuck
I am in a similar situation EB. As a matter of fact MC and himself have referrenced one of my threads. Even though I read a lot of the threads I still felt I had a little different question than the answers I was seeing. Plus I wanted to see if there was any new input. I would not bother putting lowering springs as the previous owner of my car did. Lowered the car on stock suspension and pretty much wasted the shocks of which they were not designed for. MC indicated that he just changed the sways but that wouldn't achieve the lowering you want. No suspension that I have found comes fully complete except for the Porsche X74. This is a truly bolt in application. With Bilstein PSS9 or 10 or H&R... you will need to reuse or replace the top bearing mount and some other pieces. I am looking at buying all of those pieces plus the ROW M030 and it is ~ $2000 total. I think the Cross suspension may be complete as it includes pillow ball mounts but are quite a bit more expensive.
thanks chuck! very hepful and well said. i read all of the same posts twice or more and still am unsure of what (if anything) to do which was the reason for this post. perhaps living with the ride height and just replacing the sways is the best.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Not quite sure why you guys are so worried about reusing the upper mounts. If you can get the suspension out, it's really easy to take apart the springs/shocks. You do end up reusing the rubber pads above and below the spring and the upper spring perch/mount. but, I'm not sure what the issue is... those parts are expensive and there isn't much that wears out in them.

I just put the ROW M030 on my car and I'm thrilled with the performance. It just barely lowered the car, but it handles a ton better without riding much differently.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 AM
ryanbutcher is infamous around these parts
Himself (and others) gave me some really good info on this a while back, that's my C4 post up there ^ (another thanks to them, first off..)

Anyhow, I know you said you didnt want to go with coilovers but for what it's worth the PSS9/PSS10 setups are really great for the best of both worlds.

I used Pss9 with TRG front/rear sways and went with a Euro GT3RS align - absolutely positively couldnt be happier. It's an entirely different car. Springs may be all you want, but you can do the above setup for <2k installed if you take your time getting parts from club members etc etc.

It'll put new life in that car of yours - I guarantee it! Also, I know you mentioned alot have had problems with noises etc.. Get a good installer and this wont be an issue, at least it hasnt been for me.. There are allot of posts out there that cover the fixes for that too.. Best of luck in your tweakin'