996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

springs/sways advice..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:15 PM
EB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the rough
springs/sways advice..?

I have an 02' c2 with stock suspension. I do a few track days a year and put 25k a year on the car as a dd so I don't want anything extreme. I would like to lower the car for looks first, performance second. I have ruled out coilovers they are way more than what I need. Also, I ran out of parts to sell to fund mods so cost is more of an issue. (have to buy the old lady a retarded expensive couch also... ohhhhh the mods that could buy! dare me to suggest bean bags?)

I would like to do sway(s) first. Do people usually replace both or one? I'm not looking to. necessarily increase or decrease understeer/oversteer, more stiffen and flatten in corners. I am not too interested in ones which require drop links (strange noises would drive me nuts) or a bunch of adjustability. I would rather some plug and play like h+r, eibach, or row m030. There are too many choices with different thicknesses. I could use specific suggestions on make/size based on the application as I have no idea the difference 1mm can make on those things.

Springs: The row m030 sounds great, but 10/20mm sounds like it would be barely noticeable. l'm looking for a more noticeable drop like 1". People have suggested eibach or h+r springs with oem shocks but some say the shocks will probably bottom out and sustain damage. Can anyone with personal experience comment?

thanks in advance and yes I already did a search for you search police

Old 04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
I'm glad you brought this up because it has NEVER been discussed.

Search is your friend...

Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
EB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for that brilliant informative response which helps me not at all. I created the post looking for unbiased, experienced, responses from real people (not someone trying to make money off their product or people talking out their a$$ about ones they have never used).

Responses from experienced people who are willing to help are welcome. Perhaps comments which don't help me (or any future "searchers") would be better for facebook, etc..

Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by EB847
Thanks for that brilliant informative response which helps me not at all. I created the post looking for unbiased, experienced, responses from real people (not someone trying to make money off their product or people talking out their a$$ about ones they have never used).

Responses from experienced people who are willing to help are welcome. Perhaps comments which don't help me (or any future "searchers") would be better for facebook, etc..
I have a lot of experience. I must have made a dozen or more posts on this topic, from highly technical to just helpful. Feel free to search for my name and "sway" "suspension" "pss9" "alignment" "HR" ROW M030" or basically anything you want related to your topic.

MCM's point was not being snide, just pointing out to you that those of us that have posted answers to this many times are UNLIKELY to do it again when the information is already there for the finding.

Just an FYI.

-td

Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 PM
OMGGGGGGGGGG as stated in the original post, i did searches. obviously they didn't produce the answers i'm seeking. those who want to post about how they are tired of posting can simply choose not to respond.

i have gone out of my way to help people on this forum with topics which surely had been covered. I have faith someone will return the favor with some simple, quick advice saving both time and patience.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
I would like to do sway(s) first. Do people usually replace both or one?
Almost always both.

I'm not looking to necessarily increase or decrease understeer/oversteer, more stiffen and flatten in corners.
These are actually related. What is you application? Street? Track? Both?

I am not too interested in ones which require drop links (strange noises would drive me nuts) or a bunch of adjustability.
All sway bars require drop links. Not all make noise, depends on the link and the sway bar.

I would rather some plug and play like h+r, eibach, or row m030.
Virtually all sway bars designed for narrow body 996s will plug and play.

There are too many choices with different thicknesses. I could use specific suggestions on make/size based on the application as I have no idea the difference 1mm can make on those things.
What do you want to achieve?

I posted relevant info in a thread on sway bar stiffness not long ago. A search will turn it up. I discuss a few different size bars, described how changing thickness affects stiffness, and how you determine stiffness change based on changing bar sizes.

Springs: The row m030 sounds great, but 10/20mm sounds like it would be barely noticeable. l'm looking for a more noticeable drop like 1".
ROW M030 is more than just springs, it is a whole suspension. Do you need a new suspension or just height reduction? BTW, 20mm is actually almost a full inch (.78").

People have suggested eibach or h+r springs with oem shocks but some say the shocks will probably bottom out and sustain damage. Can anyone with personal experience comment?
All dampers have a designed shock travel distance with internal bump stops. When you lower the car via springs you reduce free shock travel. I posted a long thread on this also, including shock travel distances, ride height, and droop.

thanks in advance and yes I already did a search for you search police
As I mentioned previously, your questions have actually been answered before (either by me or others). Sorry, I'm just not going to repost long discussions when the info is already there.

OMGGGGGGGGGG as stated in the original post, i did searches. obviously they didn't produce the answers i'm seeking.
There is a difference between the answers not being there, and not being able to find them...

I will give you some help this time, but seriously, use better key words in your searches.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-my-996-a.html
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ss9-setup.html

-td

Last edited by himself; 04-17-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
I'll cliffs this for you EB:

Sways - GT3 in the rear, solid H&R in the front. I am running this set up and thus have actual experience with it and love it. I'm not sure what more info you want that wasn't mentioned in the thread Tom posted.
Edit - more info on sways...ignore post 6 and 15 https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-row-m030.html. Here are my thoughts on the above set up https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ll-smiles.html Actual use which is what you were looking for correct?
Suspension - PSS9's - this one post should cover it - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/2287001-post4.html

Look, we pretty much talk about four things here: wheels, body kits, brakes and suspension set ups. Is there something in those posts you need more info on because those two links (short of going to rennlist) are the suspension bible (again thanks Tom)

Last edited by MCM97; 04-18-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: I used the search function
Old 04-17-2009, 11:54 PM

I just reread this and wow...sorry you got so bent out of shape by my response. However, I think if you read the threads posted above if you had searched you wouldn't have posted this because you come off as pissy and half ****ed. Nowhere in any part of those threads was anyone trying to sell something and I believe given your original post all your questions were answered. People are willing to help on here but you have to be willing to help yourself first. Just think next time before you post...and of course use search!!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:00 AM
thanks for the response.

25k dd street and few track days a year.

i know the row m030 is a whole suspension. it is 20mm front, but only 10mm in rear. i want apprx 1" f/r i was suggesting just the m030 sways alone.

regarding the drop links, i must have been looking at ones that utilize the oem ones?

what i need is "you should get this, this, and this" taking into consideration my vehicle type and what i'm using it for"

reading posts which focus on one topic like sways for example doesn't tell me what to buy. if you can find a post which provides specific part suggestions for an 02c2, dd with 3 track days a year, with upgrading springs and sways only for looks and moderate cornering improvement without making the ride too unbearable, please forward!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:07 AM

reading posts which focus on one topic like sways for example doesn't tell me what to buy. if you can find a post which provides specific part suggestions for an 02c2, dd with 3 track days a year, with upgrading springs and sways only for looks and moderate cornering improvement without making the ride too unbearable, please forward!
there are easily 10,000 suspension combinations you can run on these cars. Unfortuantly what you are probably going to have to do is take a piece of each thread and piece together your answer. Everyone's situation and goals are totally different and what you are looking for is very specific. I highly doubt someone is going to be exactly in your shoes and be able to exactly know what to suggest. However, if you go back through older threads first again you might be able to take a little bit of knowledge and experience from himselfs post and my posts and others posts and piece together a route to go.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:23 AM
thanks for the suggestions. instead of trying to figure out suspension mods, i should go buy a gt3 and be done with it.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:25 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
been there done that....
I settled on Bilstein PSS9s although I would go PSS10s now and H&R front and rear swaybars. A4 Wheel corner balance and I could not be happier.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

I tried the H&R spring route the first time, but it just did not feel completely right for me.

I have now installed JIC Cross CO's and H&R sways. I went with the 7/10 springs on the JIC's and they are great.

Complete adjustability on height and dampening.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:16 AM
thanks for the suggestions. instead of trying to figure out suspension mods, i should go buy a gt3 and be done with it.
/thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Brando
I tried the H&R spring route the first time, but it just did not feel completely right for me.
thx. what about them felt wrong?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: springs/sways advice..?