996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Pioneer AVIC-N1 Navigation System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 06:04 AM
MedMan is infamous around these parts
Pioneer AVIC-N1 Navigation System

I am thinking about getting one of these navigation systems put into my 2003 911 C2. Does anyone have any experience/comments on this nav system.

Thanks

Old 10-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Spuds is infamous around these parts
I was thinking of the same thing. Any input or experiences would be appreciated.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:30 AM
luting_chen is infamous around these parts
i have the previous model 7550 (forgot the series... or 7500...haha)
and i absolutely love it... n1 is similar but enhanced in a way that the nav is built it... and u get to monitor the car as well...
get it ^_^... n1 can only be better than my current unit...haha... which i considered excellent already

Old 10-12-2004, 08:48 AM
mffarrell is infamous around these parts
It won't work with the MOST system. I have a MY2003 and I ended up using a Magellan 700 portable.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:56 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I also have the magellan. It is mounted permanently and it works pretty well. I think alpine makes a nice one with a touch screen.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:39 AM
mffarrell is infamous around these parts
neil.schneider

Can you explain how you mounted your Magellan in your p-car?

I have the window mount, but it looks cheesey.

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2004, 11:54 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
I chose the Kenwood touchscreen system...More intuitive navigation, and I liked the fact that it was not a flip up screen....here are some pics of my install in my 99 C4....

Last edited by newport996; 10-12-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:30 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
my friend just put a pioneer AVIC-N1 in his x-5. it works well and is cheaper than most other comparable units. but it doesn't have an extra unit for the DVD based nav. so you can't really play any music, when the nav is in used. you have to get a 6cd changer to avoid this problem...

Old 10-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Banned
renntech36 is infamous around these partsrenntech36 is infamous around these parts
I had one before, along with almost every NAV system out on the market, and it to me bar none was the greatest. You could play music and movies on the system, and have NAV running at the same time. Simply you had to put the directions into the system, let it calculate, then slip the NAV disc out and put in the disc of choice.

Also, I liked the AVIC N1 because of the vehicle dynamics. Not only would the NAV run off satellite, but it would also work with vehicle dynamics. Basically, you could drive this car under a tunnel for 500 miles or more, and it would not skip a beat! If the satellite wouldnt pick up, it would just use your vehicle speed to determine where you were on the road. Also, you could monitor G Forces and maintain your tachometer, voltage, and MPH on the touch screen.

If you decide not to do AVIC-N1, i would highly suggest also the Eclipse AVN-2454. I had one of these in my Cayenne until I upgraded to a C. Turbo. This unit was very easy to use, double DIN, and had a CD/DVD slot and a NAV slot. It was very trick. Check it out on their site www.eclipseweb.com

Old 10-12-2004, 05:31 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Looked at both the Pioneer and the eclipse.....the Kenwood NAV system is the closest to a factory system. Better Nav...Many Pioneer owners have complained about the Nav system, plus this thing has another couple pair of audio ins, and video ins, plus video outs for more monitors in your car if you want....The cool thing about the Kenwood is it playsDVDs/MP3s/WMA's/CD's and has 2 sets of Aux ins/ and is Sirius Compatible, just buy the antenna and module ($100) and you control it right form your screen. I love making DVD MP3 disks...So I can put 4 GB worth of MP3's on a DVD and the deck will read it and it's folders along with titles and Artist and other info scrolling along the bottom of the screen. 3 DVD's and my ENTIRE music collection is in the car. Like having an iPod, without a seperate unit attached. But if I did wanna use an iPod, there is a module to control the iPod from the touchscreen, and have all it's title and song info on your head unit. Has a seperate NAV drive...You never have to touch it...and it doesn't interfere with the playback of audio or video...It was easy for me...I was at a store with all of them there and all connected to NAV systems, so I was able to try them all out...The Kenwood won hands down....

Old 10-12-2004, 08:16 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Re: neil.schneider

Originally posted by mffarrell
Can you explain how you mounted your Magellan in your p-car?

I have the window mount, but it looks cheesey.

Thanks!
It was mounted to the right of my console on a bracket. It is well within reach and easy to see as it is tilted up and to the left. Let me know if you want a picture. After seeing that Kenwood unit I almost would want to change.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Hey Newport996,

What happened with the audio? Was it a complete change over with a new sound system or did you somehow integrate the bose? And what about cost? If you did a complete system than it must have been some bucks.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
I went with the Kenwood. Very happy with this system.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
What about all the trip computer stuff... does that work as it does on the stock nav?

Old 10-12-2004, 09:37 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Britt - i dont think any of the Porsche Programs work with aftermarket parts

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-N1 Navigation System