996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Looking For a C4S - 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 PM
dano_S is infamous around these parts
Looking For a C4S - 996

Hey guys, i usually just lurk here and check out everyones toys..but I'm finally to the point financially that I think i'm going to pull the trigger on a car. Here's my question for any of you that live in California, how hard is it to license a car from out of state? If i open up my buying area, I could most definitely get a better deal on price.

Any help rules. Thanks guys.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
What You Need to Know Before Buying a Vehicle from Out-of-State

The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here.
Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold to California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. 50-State or California certified vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.
What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.
Exceptions

As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:
  • Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
  • Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
  • Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
  • Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.
Check the Label

To find out whether a car or truck is California Certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the headset or frame. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new federally certified vehicle in California if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in your last state of military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence of your vehicle's previous registration and that you were a resident of the other state when you acquired the vehicle.
Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country

California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly and in some cases impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards. For example, vehicles manufactured to be sold in Europe (gray market vehicles) less than two years old are not legal for registration or use in California.
For More Information Regarding...
  • California residency and vehicle importation laws and requirements, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Technical Compliance Section at (916) 657-6795, or go to Buying an Out of State Vehicle.
  • The California Smog check program, contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) at (800) 952-5210.
  • California smog laws, gray market vehicles, and 49-state vehicles, contact the California Air Resources Board (ARB) at (800) 242-4450, by email at helpline@arb.ca.gov, or visit ARB online.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:26 PM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
Chuck has it right on. My car was first registered in Kentucky, came into CA with no problem. Good luck, and good hunting.... I enjoy my C4S every day. jl

Old 04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
so as long as the smog certification is 50 state certified...I shouldn't have any trouble huh? JudgeJon, what am going to be looking at as far as registration fees?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:31 PM
depends on the year, but count on several hundred dollars....

Old 04-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm looking 2002 - 2004, and from what i can find...it would be worth the savings to pay the extra registration...does that make sense to you too?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
judgejon, did you have to go to a referee for a visual inspection or just a regular smog station? If there is a visual you could have a problem if the car has been modified

Old 04-30-2009, 05:06 PM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dano_S
Hey guys, i usually just lurk here and check out everyones toys..but I'm finally to the point financially that I think i'm going to pull the trigger on a car. Here's my question for any of you that live in California, how hard is it to license a car from out of state? If i open up my buying area, I could most definitely get a better deal on price.

Any help rules. Thanks guys.
Bear in mind that, in addition to smog/licensing, you do have to pay CA state sales tax--unless you register it in the state in which it was purchased (which requires an in-state address).

Old 04-30-2009, 05:20 PM
right. I know I'm going to have to pay that. But you know how it is...I have to go the most economical route these days.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:04 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
^ just make sure you don't double pay sales tax. a friend bought a car from out of state and he paid tax there and the dealership told him it'd cover tax when he got home... and it didn't.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:07 PM
fotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dano_S
so as long as the smog certification is 50 state certified...I shouldn't have any trouble huh? JudgeJon, what am going to be looking at as far as registration fees?
You will have to pay CA sales tax of 9.25% (was 8.25% before April 1st) of the declared sales price on the Release Form.

The Vehicle Registration Fee (VLF) that you pay annually is going to increase (temporarly) to 1.15% of the sale price starting May 19th, 2009. It is 0.65% now.
This is in an effort to fill the $42B deficit that the state of CA is into...

Enjoy hunting! I would stay away from a car coming for states where there is snow (and therefore salted roads, bad for corrosion). Stay focused to Florida or California if you can.

PPI is a must. History of ALL service records is a must too. Ideally one owner car... (but you know that already)

I was in your shoes a year ago and it took me almost 3 months to find the right one. Good luck... Don't jump on an impulse. Check everything before you pay and take it home.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Great info...I really appreciate it. I understand everything except a PPI, not sure what that is?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:53 PM
perucho is a jewel in the roughperucho is a jewel in the roughperucho is a jewel in the rough
pre-purchase inspection

Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
oh yes, of course. Thanks

Old 05-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
judgejon, did you have to go to a referee for a visual inspection or just a regular smog station? If there is a visual you could have a problem if the car has been modified
Chuck, neither one. I bought my C4S from a consignment dealer. Previous owner had registered the car with a smog check on its initial CA registration. I registered through the dealer with no problem. jl

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking For a C4S - 996