996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

water coming thru my dash!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:45 PM
waydeki is infamous around these parts
water coming thru my dash!

i just took my 99 cab thru a car wash and the air dryer pushed water into the driver foot well from behind the dash. i wet vac'd the carpet and looked under the hood but didn't see any water or obvious damage behind those removable plastic panels. any recomendations what to do next?

Old 05-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by waydeki
i just took my 99 cab thru a car wash and the air dryer pushed water into the driver foot well from behind the dash. i wet vac'd the carpet and looked under the hood but didn't see any water or obvious damage behind those removable plastic panels. any recomendations what to do next?

steering wheel colum......thats my guess... somtime i can feel cold air coming from around there

Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Those air dryers and high pressures sprayers can force water into places that water wouldnt normally get into.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:17 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
You probably need your cowl drains cleaned. There is a TSB out there on it. If it's coming into the cabin, they might be disconnected.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:21 PM
waydeki is infamous around these parts
i found a loose rubber seal left of the steering column. it's a grommet style fit. it was totally loose and appears to be where the water came thru. some leaves came in with the water. there are a lot of relays and harnesses right in that area, so i'm glad it doesnt appear to have caused any damage.

so drains will clog and send the water to the next best route? nice.

that's what i get for being too lazy to properly hand wash the car.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
i found a loose rubber seal left of the steering column. it's a grommet style fit. it was totally loose and appears to be where the water came thru. some leaves came in with the water. there are a lot of relays and harnesses right in that area, so i'm glad it doesnt appear to have caused any damage.

that's good u found it I should check to see if that's where that air comes from

Old 05-04-2009, 01:11 AM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of

Ah good, glad you found the issue. Yeah, I'd still check the cowl drains to make sure, but it sounds like water came through the seal and not the drains

Old 05-04-2009, 06:22 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
No more auto car washes!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:34 PM
^ seriously. Until you've buffed out swirl marks yourself, you don't know how much damage those automatic car washes do! going over the car twice with a random orbital with 2 strengths of polish reminds me why I never use them on cars I care about.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
You should see what they do to the inside lip of your left side wheels...

Old 05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Porsche917
You should see what they do to the inside lip of your left side wheels...
ouch, that sucks.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
From my understanding, it isn't advisable to take a Porsche cab through a carwash due to possible top damage.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
Me, I use a hose and most of the day.