996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Which brake pads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Rthomson is infamous around these partsRthomson is infamous around these parts
Which brake pads?

Hey all,
I'm thinking of replacing the brake pads and brake fluid on my 2001 C2 Cab. The pedal takes significant "foot" pressure to stop in a panic situation and I have major messy brake dust even from 1 evening out. I've never been able to get the abs to work but I assume it does... I have the big red brembo brake calipers. I don't track the car although like many of you, I enjoy very spirited driving. Which pads would you guys recommend for better brake performance and less dust. Also, I'm learning there are several different kinds of brake fluid. I usually do my own work but is bleeding the brakes a DIY porject? Will the brake fluid ruin the finish on my red calipers? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
If you're not tracking it then stick with stock pads. I would look into why it takes "significant foot pressure" to stop your car first. Not to mention performance pads are really expensive and they squeal. A lot. I have pagid yellows on my car. They cost an arm and a leg compared to the stock pads and they squeal like a school bus. They do stop quite well when they're heated up. I do the occasional track days so performance pads for me were not an option as I kept overheating the stock brake system to the point of failure.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Rthomson
Hey all,
I'm thinking of replacing the brake pads and brake fluid on my 2001 C2 Cab. The pedal takes significant "foot" pressure to stop in a panic situation and I have major messy brake dust even from 1 evening out. I've never been able to get the abs to work but I assume it does... I have the big red brembo brake calipers. I don't track the car although like many of you, I enjoy very spirited driving. Which pads would you guys recommend for better brake performance and less dust. Also, I'm learning there are several different kinds of brake fluid. I usually do my own work but is bleeding the brakes a DIY porject? Will the brake fluid ruin the finish on my red calipers? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Stock pads actually work great for your application. And they're cheap.

For your brake fluid - get a Motive Power Bleeder and use ATE gold then ATE blue. You'll do a complete flush with one, then the other - the color difference makes it easy to see when you're done.

When you change applications, post up again and we'll set you straight.

-td

Old 05-22-2009, 05:52 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
I think you should first spend the $30 and get the GT3 brake duct, heat is brake's worse enemy and that's a cheap alternative that actually works.

Otherwise I hear these factory sport pads are a good compromise between street and track pads.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...6BrakesCarrera

You should do brake fluid flush every 2 years I'd do it every year or more if you track often.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ekam
I think you should first spend the $30 and get the GT3 brake duct, heat is brake's worse enemy and that's a cheap alternative that actually works.

Otherwise I hear these factory sport pads are a good compromise between street and track pads.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...6BrakesCarrera

You should do brake fluid flush every 2 years I'd do it every year or more if you track often.
Heat is not his problem. The ducts aren't going to help for street duty. There is no way he is generating enough heat from even spirited street driving to necessitate upgraded ducts. I have the GT3 ducts. They're only about 5% larger than the stock ducts with a slightly more aggressive shape. The only reason I did it was because I was having heat problems at the track. Not to mention he doesn't track his car. The real deal ducts are the cup ducts. However. they're $300ish for the pair and are huge. Not a good street option as they'll probably get tore up on speed bumps, etc..

In this case it sounds as simple as using stock pads with upgraded fluids and a good flushing will take care of this. Brake dust is something that you'll just have to deal with. This is a performance car with performance pads (even the stock ones). Unfortunately that's a by-product you'll just have to live with. Some people suggest removing and waxing the wheels to prevent the dust from sticking. I've never done it but it makes sense.