996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

IMS Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:29 AM
150shot is infamous around these parts
Wow great info here. Thanks for posting the progress!

Old 12-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Hazard is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kirky
never thought it got cold in Dallas
Ha! Yes, when you're used to 90-100's and like it, then yes, 30 or lower is miserable! I have no problem people calling me a whimp when it comes to cold. Ha!

I've definitely got the engine bug, so definitely not apposed to helping people out with theirs.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
Your engine was starved for oil, and you only had damage to the main bearings? Are those cams untouched? They look fine in the pictures, I'm just a bit surprised...

Old 12-26-2009, 10:33 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
How many special P tools do you need to assemble the motor, and what's the cost of acquiring them?

Old 12-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Well, I had scarring on the crankshaft, so sent that off to get repaired (only one place in the US does it) and upgraded. One camshaft had to have the same treatment. I replaced all the main and piston bearings, upgraded some internal engine parts, as well as the complete IMS upgrade, not just the bearing.

I needed to buy Porsche tools: 9599, 9634, 9612, 9608, and 9602. Yes, they're quite expensive (over a $k), but you need them to put everything together and set the timing!

Duralube rocks! Definitely saved the engine!

Old 12-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by RenegadeSRT
Where is this idea coming from that there is only one place in the US who will repair your crankshaft? I know of 2 just on the east coast that can do it.....and that's all they do is crank work.
Well then I'm mistaken. After a lot of research, it seems that there was just one that does Porsche 996 cranks. It involves a special process. There are several that will say they do, but in reality, they're just sending it to the same guy.

If you know of more, then congratulations!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
did you have the crank welded n then polished or just polished n used a larger size of main bearing?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:16 PM
It had to be welded, polished, magnafluxed, and then hardened. There aren't oversized bearings available for the 996 crankshaft, that's why no one can do the work.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM
freezing14 is infamous around these parts
hi guys , same thing here big end failure , the big burning question is who does rebuild the cranks, i can find used one too but i would think that rebuilding is cheaper

Old 12-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by freezing14
hi guys , same thing here big end failure , the big burning question is who does rebuild the cranks, i can find used one too but i would think that rebuilding is cheaper
I had it done in several different places, the one I'd recommend now is Beck's European in AZ, the price is reasonable, let them know Luke Edson sent you.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Matis Racing oil pan

I would HIGHLY recommend anyone tracking a 996 to purchase the Mantis Sport Oil Sump Extension Kit. The fact that they have a cover that keeps the oil in the pan as you take hard corners is a crucial aspect that no one else has!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM

cool , it seems the community here is also very active and friendly
I am new to the watercooled world , but not to porsche , i had a 914, a 914-6, a 70 911T and i am now working on a 1968 911S soft window targa

form the air cooled experience , i can see that the wter cooled have the same basic design for assembly and timing ( with some variation)

forund a site that had a picture of all the special tools , so you dont have to shell out all that cash for stuff your never going to use again , there was a dozen of video showing how , was done on a 986 but i am sure its the same ,, whoever designed the water cooled worked at porched when the made the air cooled stuff

just bought a 996 with a crank failure ( but i knew it was dead ) so it was a lot cheaper , just need to go pick it up and take the sucker apart,

Old 12-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by freezing14

just bought a 996 with a crank failure ( but i knew it was dead ) so it was a lot cheaper , just need to go pick it up and take the sucker apart,
Yep, it's not too big of a deal if you're just putting it back together with stock parts. The way you bring on failures is if you do a bunch of modifications for performance, as then the weaknesses of the design of the 3.4 engine starts coming to the forefront. I've thrown rods three different times at the track, so it can be an expensive learning process if you start upgrading the car's performance. Sticking to stock engine and drive characteristics (no slicks, upgraded suspension, etc.) is a safe bet though, and nothing to worry about. Just upgrade the IMS, and you're good to go!

If you get the bug though, it can be quite rewarding! I now have a Turbo S/GT3 killer that is amazing to drive!

Last edited by Hazard; 12-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:01 PM
big end

i have heard a lot of contradicting info on what is reusable and whats not

the engine still runs but it has a vibration , and after removing the tranny , the crank seems loose

assuming the cranks is rebuildable ( worste case get a used one )
i heard that the Rods are single use , , on air cooled they just remachine them to make them round again ( can i do that or not )
can i reuse the same rods( without machining ) if they did not get damaged
would do bearings for the whoel thing
i assume the screws must be changed
i would upgrade the IMS
put new chains
since the cylinder are not damaged , do i just put the same piston and rings or new rings
would have the heads redone ( grind valve and seat , check guide and resurface )

i am not looking to race but rebuild o have a fun daily driver ( for the summer as i have snow on the ground already )

i would apreciate the opinion of an expert on that

Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 PM
It sounds like you have had an oil starvation issue, and the main bearings got affected.

As long as you don't have an intermix problem (water in the oil), just get the crankshaft repaired, replace all your main and rod bearings, full IMS shaft upgrade (LN Engineering) while you're at it, gasket set, and don't reuse your head bolts.

Purists would have you replace everything, but in my opinion, just replacing the above works perfectly for driving it around. If you're going to track it, then yes, I'd replace a bunch more, but for the street and no force induction, I don't see any reason why you can't reuse everything else. - Do NOT machine the rods, or hone the cylinders!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IMS Failure