996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Lowering my car...Springs???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:04 PM
joed996 is infamous around these parts
Lowering my car...Springs???

Looking at Gemballa springs but I believe there made by H&R.
I 'm also looking into champion springs and need some feedback.
Has anyone heard of anything positive or negative about champion springs, H&R, or Gemballa?? Name:  rim1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  141.8 KB

Old 05-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Former Vendor
KrafTechnik is infamous around these partsKrafTechnik is infamous around these parts
We have had a lot of success with H&R springs. They are a solid upgrade over the factory setup and one of the more popular choices for aftermarket springs. I am sure the Gemballa setup is a solid choice but I worry about overpaying for a name when you can get the same performance and ride stance with H&R.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:40 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
At the time of my last order Gemballa springs were in-fact H&R's. I've heard they used Eibachs as well for a period but you can feel pretty safe with either of these manufacturers. I'd save the coin and go for the H&R's if you've already made up your mind about skipping coil-overs all together. Remember though, unless you do it yourself the labor charge will be similar (disassemble/reassemble each corner and alignment) for coil-overs vs. springs so the savings may or may not be worth it in the end. Either way be sure to post up some before and after pictures for us when you've finished the project!

Old 05-24-2009, 10:13 PM
jasebird is infamous around these parts
Just installed the champion motorsport springs on my 02 C2 and am very impressed with the stance and overall ride quality. I think they are made by H&R but to their specs, anyway I like them.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:52 PM
ske
ske is infamous around these parts
jasebird, which shocks did you go with when you lowered the car?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 PM
alpinam5 is infamous around these parts
jasebird:

I was thinking of using the champions too. But the car they showed me here in Palm Beach was way to low for my taste. The wheels were well inside the wheel wells. However, I've seen pictures of lowered cars by H&R and they don't look like that.?? Can you describe how low they dropped your car ? Pictures would be nice ....

Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
these are H&R springs only...i like the drop and ride

Old 05-26-2009, 02:20 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Love my H&R springs w/ stock shocks. No issues for over 10K miles.....

Old 05-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Nice cars Omar and Boochook !!!!!!!

I think H&R have two types of springs ????? Sport and something else ?? Which ones, you guys used in your rides ?? And one more question, if I may: How is the ride ? firmer, bouncier... and the handling ?

Old 05-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by alpinam5
Nice cars Omar and Boochook !!!!!!!

I think H&R have two types of springs ????? Sport and something else ?? Which ones, you guys used in your rides ?? And one more question, if I may: How is the ride ? firmer, bouncier... and the handling ?
I think there was only one kind for mine ,it's more firmer , and tighter around turns , I'm satisfied , I don't drive my car much maybe 350mi month , but I do plan on getting coilovers soon

Old 05-27-2009, 03:47 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
we had H&R's installed in our '99 996 a year ago and we've had no issues or problems. it dropped the car approx 1.5-2 inches and we would definately do it again. I personally don't notice much change in the ride. maybe a tad more stiff

we will more than likely be doing the same to my boxster in the future. once it's done, i'll have more of an idea of the changes that i feel since the boxster is my DD and autox car and the 996 isn't. =)

Last edited by BoxsterGirlie01; 05-27-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: ps
Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
if not going the coilover route, these are options.

ROW P96 Euro Sport Suspension Package ~$1300. lowers car 10-20mm, with different shocks, sway bars.....included.

X74 is another choice, much more expensive and firmer comparable to coilovers. Lowers car 30-40mm.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Pardon, my ignorance. What's ROW P96, and the 10/20 mm is how much it lowers the car front/rear, or an average ?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Guys:

How much is the total cost for the job ? Champion wants to charge me $1,000 + taxes for their springs, labor and new alignment. However, they warn me that the alignment will not be perfect and that I will go thru my tires faster than with the stock set-up. ???

Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Houston996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by alpinam5
Pardon, my ignorance. What's ROW P96, and the 10/20 mm is how much it lowers the car front/rear, or an average ?

The ROW M030kit by porsche. It lowers the car 20MM in the front and 10MM in the rear. I just ordered the kit to replace my lowering springs (lowering springs were installed a few weeks ago and were too much for my taste).

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...=996Suspension

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering my car...Springs???