996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Psm/abs error message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:22 AM
yellow7 is infamous around these parts
Psm/abs error message

I'm a new porsche owner and have a 2002 Porsche 996. I just got the car when I run it a little hard, I get a PSM/ABS ERROR Message on the screen. Any one experience this ? I'm hoping its not a major issue as I purchased the car as-is. Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yellow7
I'm a new porsche owner and have a 2002 Porsche 996. I just got the car when I run it a little hard, I get a PSM/ABS ERROR Message on the screen. Any one experience this ? I'm hoping its not a major issue as I purchased the car as-is. Thanks
Mine ignited ABS & PSM lights under hard accaleration. Last week I replaced the K&N filter installed by PO with OEM filter and cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner spray. No more warnings.

The procedure is quite simple, DIY if you have at least some experience of working with cars. If there's an old OEM filter, replace and clean the MAF, the same applies also to K&N, replace with an OEM.... If done by yourself, the cost is around $50,-.
But if this doesn't help then the MAF sensor itself is faulty. Replacing can be done again by yourself, but the price of one is from $300,- ( e-bay ) up. Just buy the correct one!
Searching the http://www.renntech.org ( with correct words, like ABS+PSM+MAF ) gives you further information.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
I'd agree on the dirty MAS with this one.

I changed out a brake light switch to correct this issue with my 01 abs/psm. ($23.00 part at the local dealer) However, I could trigger the fault in the driveway without the car rolling.