996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Does your 996 stereo suck?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The head unit and the 6 disc CD are actually the strongest parts fot he OEM system. Replacing the head unit is a waste of money until the other components are replaced. The weakest part is the speakers, whether standard, HiFi or bose, they are all crap. I started with the speakers, Focal 100KP's in the dash, with the crossovers in the trunk, Focal 100 slim lines in the rear and Focal 5WS in the doors (I had the HiFi option with door speakers). Just this made an increible difference. Then I added a JL Audio E6450 amp, 6 channels. system sounds great now, still using the stock head unit and the 6 disc player. I would hold my system up to any system with an upgraded head and the stock speakers, the best head unit in the world will sound bad through bad speakers, and the OEM are worthless.

There are lots of threads on upgrades here, on Rennlist and on Renntech. Do some searches.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:25 AM
mj31 is infamous around these partsmj31 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dharn55
The head unit and the 6 disc CD are actually the strongest parts fot he OEM system. Replacing the head unit is a waste of money until the other components are replaced. The weakest part is the speakers, whether standard, HiFi or bose, they are all crap. I started with the speakers, Focal 100KP's in the dash, with the crossovers in the trunk, Focal 100 slim lines in the rear and Focal 5WS in the doors (I had the HiFi option with door speakers). Just this made an increible difference. Then I added a JL Audio E6450 amp, 6 channels. system sounds great now, still using the stock head unit and the 6 disc player. I would hold my system up to any system with an upgraded head and the stock speakers, the best head unit in the world will sound bad through bad speakers, and the OEM are worthless.

There are lots of threads on upgrades here, on Rennlist and on Renntech. Do some searches.
Thanks Im reading some threads now. It seems I can do something that will sound good for around $700

Old 05-31-2009, 02:17 PM
qcraftsman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mj31
Thanks Im reading some threads now. It seems I can do something that will sound good for around $700
Yes you can for around $700. I did mine for around $550 and that got me 4 brand new Boston Acoustics speakers and a amplified sub with 8" inch subs. It has made a huge difference in my sound. Love it. If you install yourself then your looking at less than $600 for my set up.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Rthomson is infamous around these partsRthomson is infamous around these parts
Did yiou put the JL Audio E6450 amp in yourself?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:15 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
I didn't like the sound of mine, so installed a PSE so I didn't have to listen to it.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:46 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Funny to me that a 75k when new car would have the biggest POS stereo system I have ever heard also.....it is absolute junk.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Houston996 is infamous around these parts
Have the bose option in my cab and the sound is absolutely terrible. Even when listening to CD's the volume fluctuates without even touching the sound

Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Mathemagician is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Houston996
Have the bose option in my cab and the sound is absolutely terrible. Even when listening to CD's the volume fluctuates without even touching the sound
Could this be the speed-sensitive volume feature? If so, you can lessen the effect or disable this feature entirely.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Houston996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mathemagician
Could this be the speed-sensitive volume feature? If so, you can lessen the effect or disable this feature entirely.
How do i do this?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM
TMAC is infamous around these parts
I have an 01 with the HIFI so my replacement hasn't been too bad. I replaced my HU with an Alpine W505 and I am working on the speakers, sub and amps next. I am an audio guy though, some people see no point in our cars but I have to have a loud car.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
To whoever used the 6 channel JL audio amp.... How much did you get it for and did you run all new speaker wires to the map or did you splice into the existing wires in the car?

Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 PM
KwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of light
i noticed that the sound quality on the radio is better than the ones for my cd, when i get to the later tracks my cd starts making static... so weird..

Old 06-01-2009, 03:51 PM
paulsoo217 is infamous around these parts
Maybe I have bad taste in audios, but I'm very happy and impressed with my factory Bose system. I have an amp in the front boot on the firewall.
The two rectangular holes on the rear deck are cool to look at and you can feel air coming out as the bass hits. Treble is quite clear, the only thing I believe they can improve would be the mid range.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:26 PM
TMAC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HxCforlife
To whoever used the 6 channel JL audio amp.... How much did you get it for and did you run all new speaker wires to the map or did you splice into the existing wires in the car?
I am using either two seperate amps or one new amp JL Audio still hasn't released.
Either way JL Audio makes excellent product that you can't go wrong with.
This is their only 6 channel amp
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=481

They did however make a 500/5 amp which is 5 channel.

I would still recommend waiting for this if you plan to replace all your speakers and add a sub. It should be relased this month.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Are you putting in all new speaker wires??? how much you think for that 6chan amp?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does your 996 stereo suck?