996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Car smells really bad after drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:00 PM
KwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of light
Car smells really bad after drive

sorry for 2 threads so close, but i noticed that after i drive my car it smells REALLY bad, same thing after my friends drive it so i dont think it's my driving. it smells like something's burning almost, is this normal? the smell is really noticeable after i step out of the car.

thanks again guys
jon

Old 05-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
if it is new..there is cosmoline that needs to burn off...if it is not new then you might want to check for any leaks cuz it could be pentosin and that would not be good

Old 05-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
The burning smells like... clutch? antifreeze? oil? More info is needed.

And nevermind. Damn it Chuck!!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:27 PM
KwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
if it is new..there is cosmoline that needs to burn off...if it is not new then you might want to check for any leaks cuz it could be pentosin and that would not be good
Originally Posted by Gramicci101

thanks for the replies guys, i really have no clue what the smell is, (i'm not very engine savvy) but the car is used 65k Miles mk1 1999. i wish there was a way i could record the smell to post it lol, maybe in a few years lol

Old 05-30-2009, 07:27 PM
CMiYC is infamous around these parts
Without a description of the smell it is tough to say. A quick check is to make sure none of your tires are flat.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:28 PM

hey just wndering what would cause the clutch to smell? i would think its my driving since i'm new to stick, but even after my friends who are good at stick drive it it still smells after..

Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 PM
CMiYC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid
thanks for the replies guys, i really have no clue what the smell is, (i'm not very engine savvy)
You could stop at an indie shop (or even an auto parts store) and ask someone more knowledgeable to describe the smell.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid
hey just wndering what would cause the clutch to smell? i would think its my driving since i'm new to stick, but even after my friends who are good at stick drive it it still smells after..
A clutch will smell and possibly smoke when it's burnt. And it smells BURNT. This means it's A) worn out and needs replaced, or B) someone abused it. If you slip the clutch for an excessively long time, or if you sidestep it on a hard launch, it will smell burnt.

If it's worn out, an easy way to test is to shift to fifth instead of second and floor it. If the engine bogs and the revs don't climb much, your clutch is good. If the revs rise and you don't really go anywhere, your clutch is shot and needs to go.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by CMiYC
You could stop at an indie shop (or even an auto parts store) and ask someone more knowledgeable to describe the smell.
yeah i plan on doing that if the smell is still there on monday

A clutch will smell and possibly smoke when it's burnt. And it smells BURNT. This means it's A) worn out and needs replaced, or B) someone abused it. If you slip the clutch for an excessively long time, or if you sidestep it on a hard launch, it will smell burnt.

If it's worn out, an easy way to test is to shift to fifth instead of second and floor it. If the engine bogs and the revs don't climb much, your clutch is good. If the revs rise and you don't really go anywhere, your clutch is shot and needs to go.
thanks for the advice man the smell is actually starting to get lighter, could be my imagination.. but i hope it is!

Old 05-31-2009, 04:29 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
I know what it could be...

go and look at your spare tire. sometimes the battery overflows and drips on the spare tire. That smell is that battery acid eating the rubber.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by John Romano
I know what it could be...

go and look at your spare tire. sometimes the battery overflows and drips on the spare tire. That smell is that battery acid eating the rubber.
oh it's actually coming from the rear of the car

Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Usermanual is infamous around these partsUsermanual is infamous around these parts
I have a similar smell from mine, definitely not clutch for me. Clutch smell is rank. I've only got 24k on my 2000 but it's still there. I assume it's under-body coating or something because I have no leaks and it's been pretty well inspected. Hope you get a solution but I wouldn't freak out until you have it inspected.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:31 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
maybe your friends smell bad

Old 06-01-2009, 06:35 AM
pszikla is infamous around these parts
Most likely smell is the hot coolant that is dripping out of your coolant overflow tank that is cracked.
Pete

Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pszikla
Most likely smell is the hot coolant that is dripping out of your coolant overflow tank that is cracked.
Pete
That was my second guess

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car smells really bad after drive