996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

car too stiff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Duckhead is infamous around these parts
car too stiff

I just bought an '02 C2 and the car doesn't feel right. It has been lowered slightlly and has 225/40/18 P Zero Rossos in the front and 285/30/18 same in back. Don't know if sway bars were changed. The ride is very severe and brutal around the city. Can I get it back to a reasonably comfortable ride?

Old 06-04-2009, 03:29 AM
KwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of light
well porsches are stiff to begin with, i'm on stock suspension and when i go over speed bumps it feel almost the same as when i went over speed bumps in my clk with h and r coilovers.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:39 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Did you use the stock struts when you put the lowering spring in?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:49 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
If it was lowered just by changing the springs, the ride will be more harsh. Consider going to a coil over set up and you will get the lowered look and more OE-like ride.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
When I bought mine I felt there was something wrong at first. You get use to it quickly and may even find yourself wanting it more stiff. If your suspension has been upgraded you could always go back to stock. It won't ride like a Lexus, but will be softer.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I'll have to take it in to a shop and find out exactly what had been changed by a previous owner and go from there. But maybe Deckman is right - it was just day 1 and maybe I need more seat time to get used to it.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 AM
JonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to behold
I had a similar feeling with my 2003 C4S after purchasing. Kind of jarring, like the shocks had lost their dampening effect. I changed to PSS10s, and even at a stiff setting were less jarring than the stock. Really like them, but not an inexpensive approach. Perhaps my stock shocks were worn, but I did not want to replace them and find that the ride was the same.

Also, many consider using slightly lower the tire pressure, say 32 psi Front and 40 PSI Rear.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM
92tsiawd is infamous around these parts
Low tire pressure can cause stifff rides

Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 AM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
I had lowered springs on stock (non-M030) shocks. Very jarring ride on my DD. Switched to US M030 and ride still jarring but better than lowered ride. After 110k miles on the car I purchased ROW M030 set up and will replace in the next couple of weeks. Others have said this was a good DD compromise and relatively inexpensive. Cost is around $1100 for new shocks, springs, sways. I decided to go all the way and purchase every piece on the strut and shocks to replace, total ~$1700. That way I have all new stuff and can pre-assemble it so easy swap out.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Congrats on the high mileage attainment. Any major issues along the way?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 AM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
I guess that is based upon your definition of "major issues". I have no RMS, IMS type issues. I have spent about $8k in various repairs in the 2 years I have owned it. If I can't do the work or I don't have time I take it to the dealer (~$120/ hour). They recently replaced water pump, steering rack (~$600, $1200). Barely a drop of oil coming out of the engine. I replace oil every 5-7k miles. Never had to add a drop to maintain level. I do have a Tiptronic so maybe I am babying the car. I replaced the stereo and speakers (piece of @#$$, custom mounts and woofers). My original wood trim is disintegrating so I am going to replace most of the vinyl with leather and alcantara (by myself). So some of my money was spent on tinkering with the car. Still, this is the only car I have kept past 1 year and I still get a joy out of driving it.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks everyone. I've contacted the local Porsche club and they steered me towards a few respected shops that can assess what I have on the car. I have driven the car a lot over the last 2 days and I must admit I am starting to get used to it but I want to make sure the car is set up properly, regardless. What an amazing car all around.

Last edited by Duckhead; 06-05-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
adnanm3 is infamous around these parts
you def will get use to it