996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Looking At Buying My First Porsche - Need Information To Help With Choosing A Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Slapshot is infamous around these partsSlapshot is infamous around these parts
And of course, while glancing at the online listings tonight, just to torture myself, I suppose, not one, but two "perfect" cars that I would already be negotiating to buy, appear for sale now that I'm unable to do anything about it. I spent the last six weeks looking for just the right car, had not yet found it, but NOW they show up!

If, and that's a big "if" rates somehow turn around and drop back to what they were, or at least close, I have decided that the car I will buy must either be a mint, very low mileage (under 15k) 2004 Anniversary model, or a 2005 C2s. Granted, I'm not sure I can pull off a C2s, financially, but just maybe, if I go on an all ramen noodle diet for 24 months or so, it might be possible. It might be worth it.

John

Last edited by Slapshot; 06-16-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Buy mine, you would not be dissappointed

Old 06-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by c2mojo
Buy mine, you would not be dissappointed

Unfortunately, can't do anything until mortgage interest rates drop back to somehwere close to where they were last week. And if they don't, and keep rising, it's hopeless.

John

Old 06-20-2009, 07:30 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
John, I am very sorry to hear about the news - I was really looking forward to you joining the owner's club. I'm sure things will get back in order and you will find yourself behind the wheel soon! Best of luck to you.

my black on black, low mileage, CPO'd, aerokitted, $102k+MSRP C4S is still available at a steal if anyone is interested. I will be willing to let it sell for a bit less if I dont have to incur additional ebay, autotrader, etc listing fees.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Well, the latest news is that I've decided to do whatever I can, within reason, to resurrect my plans to buy a 911. I now think I can overcome the hit the big interest jump caused, but find myself with a couple more things to decide on.

A significant number of members here in the forum, and also, whom I have spoken with in the local Porsche club have strongly recommended that my best option is to go with a 997 series. The justification for that seems to be focused on the many technology upgrades that were made in the 997 series, and also, the avoidance of the dreaded IMS engine failure.

The issue for me is, of course, significantly greater cost. In a perfect world, I would choose a 2005 C2s above anything else. However, excellent, low mileage versions of those can't be had for less than slightly under $50k, at best.

My other ideal alternative is the 40th anniversary 2004 model. Having the wider body, the X51 package, and some of the other options from that would be great, and also much more affordable. However, there is still the 996 series IMS concern.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on the above, and whether I could feel safe with a 40th Anniversary model.

The other thing I am struggling with is that, say I found a perfect car with very low miles, in mint condition, that checks out perfectly, aside from the tax I would have to pay upon licensing it (6% here in Michigan), the thought that I will also need to immediately drop another $2500.00 or so, for an extended warranty really kicks the total cost up to another entire level. Add in a 997 model, and the thing is virtually through the roof, given my finances.

As noted above, I am really trying to make every effort to work things out, as I simply do not want to pass on my one chance to own a great automobile while I still can. I see 911's on the road try to conatin my drooling, and cannot bear the thought of never owning one.

Any thoughts, input or advice is immensely appreciated.

John

Old 06-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh, and just in case anyone new happens upon this thread, and only reads my latest comments, I do indeed realize this is a 996 forum, and I am asking about 996 vs 997, but people here have been so tremendously helpful, and honest, I had no concern asking for, and receiving additional advice, even regarding that dilemma.

John

Old 07-01-2009, 10:16 PM
More good news. There was a sudden, very significant rate drop on Tuesday, that allowed me to lock in at a point that can make the refinancing, that will also free up money for the Porsche, happen.

Now I just need to sell my beautiful 1999, almost mint condition, M3, complete the new mortgage, find the right 911, and buy it. Of course, the "perfect' car has just recently become available for sale, but there is no way all of the above can happen in time to buy it.

John

Old 07-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Into Eternity is infamous around these parts
congrats on the good turn of events, I will be going through this in some time soon to come and am researching all these threads for info. I was looking at the C2 first as well as it is the lighter, nimbler, simple car but I own a car like that now and am now leaning to the C4S as the turbos are a bit pricey with decent milage. just have to resist the trade in for 997. Good luck on your search and purchase, can you see the light shining yet?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:47 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
John,

Buy mine, I'll make you a hell of a deal on it.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
John,

Buy mine, I'll make you a hell of a deal on it.
Sounds like you have a beautiful car, but I'm locked in on going with a 40th Anniversary model.

And, honestly, for a number of reasons, I can't consider a car with more than say, 15k miles.

John