996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Those with SmartTops...how are you liking it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Those with SmartTops...how are you liking it?

A few questions if you don't mind

1) Has there been any problems/issues with the SmartTop module?
2) How long have you had it (either months/miles)
3) Any funny quirks/bugs in the system?
4) How hard was the install? I've read it only take 15-20 mins?
5) Where did you buy it from?

Thanks in advance for your input

Edwin

Old 06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
A few questions if you don't mind
I'd be happy to reply...
1) Has there been any problems/issues with the SmartTop module?
Actually I did have a problem with the first module....never figured it out (whether connection or electronics, but Stephan sent me a brand new one quite quickly...0 problems since then.
2) How long have you had it (either months/miles)
>4 years
3) Any funny quirks/bugs in the system?
No, works great
4) How hard was the install? I've read it only take 15-20 mins?
Very easy...DIY instructions available from wilhelmy web site. Took me 7.4 minutes....LOL. Do make sure you use the velcro support strap!

5) Where did you buy it from?
In a group buy directly from wilhelmy (I think they still give discounts for renntech members?)

Old 06-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Wross,

You're the man. Thank you! any other experiences?

Edwin

Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 PM
GoodSpeed is infamous around these parts
Mine is three years old.
10 minutes installation.
Absolutely no problems.
Bought it directly from Wilhelmy.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Basic Sponsor
Thanks Goodspeed. I went to the wilhemy web site and saw another product "RemoteTop". It seems like the remotetop can open/close convertible top with the touch of a button but has but a lot more features than the SmartTop. It seems logical to get the RemoteTop no?

Edwin

Last edited by PrecisionPorsch; 06-19-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Thanks Goodspeed. I went to the wilhemy web site and saw another product "RemoteTop". It seems like the remotetop can open/close convertible top with the touch of a button but has but a lot more features than the SmartTop. It seems logical to get the RemoteTop no?

Edwin
If you search you will find there have been more issues with remotetop....perhaps these have been rectified. I saw no reason in moving the top with the engine not on (battery drain), so it was not necessary for me. The remotetop is perhaps more customizable, but besides the audible chirp (which may not work on all cars), I'm not sure what additional features you speak of? I also have the smarttop in my benz...LOL

Old 06-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by wross996TT
If you search you will find there have been more issues with remotetop....perhaps these have been rectified. I saw no reason in moving the top with the engine not on (battery drain), so it was not necessary for me. The remotetop is perhaps more customizable, but besides the audible chirp (which may not work on all cars), I'm not sure what additional features you speak of? I also have the smarttop in my benz...LOL
Wross,

Unless I'm i mistaken, the SmartTop just gives you the ability to one-touch open/close the top while the car is in motion.

The Remote Top allows you to do the following:

Product features:
  • Operate the soft-top and windows with your original factory-supplied remote-key, no reprogramming of the key or the car necessary. Selectable One-Touch operation which will, once started, complete the soft-top cycle automatically by itself.

• Operate the sunroof (coupe) and windows with your original factory-supplied remote-key, no reprogramming of the key or the car necessary. Selectable One-Touch operation which will, once started, complete the cycle automatically by itself.

• Selectable "Lock-In" feature locks the doors once you start the vehicle or start moving. In contrast to the original Porsche Lock-In feature which can only be enabled or disabled at the dealership, the remoteTOP lets you decide if you want that feature, and even better, if you have it enabled, the remoteTOP will also UNLOCK the doors when you switch the engine off. A detail the Porsche engineers seemingly forgot.

• Selectable "Always-Arm" Mode, which will enable the passenger cabin ultra-sound motion detector alarm when the top is OPEN.

• Comfort window control allows you to use the electric windows after you turn the ignition off. Also enables window control after you unlocked your car with the remote controller. This allows you to walk up to your car, unlock it, sit inside and IMMEDIATELY use the power-windows, no need to put the key into ignition first.

• Bonus Feature: Audible feedback ("chirps") using the alarm horn when locking/unlocking the car by remote. (For technical reasons this feature is not guaranteed to work on all models / model years).

• User programmable: All features can be individually enabled or disabled. Some also allow different personal preferences to be set. All settings are retained even if the car battery is disconnected.

Seems like the RemoteTop has more fun features

Edwin

Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
i would like it if it was like 150-200......300 seems alot for something like that

im considering it though,....

Old 06-19-2009, 02:41 PM
sfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to all
I have had two of these,

One on a boxster, and one on my 996. Install was less than a beer long, and worked flawlessly the first time! Occasionally you will find one on eBay, or a group buy if you look around.

Great product, well worth the dough.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:53 PM
E. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura about
Just got the Remote Top installed and the comfort/convenience makes this a no brainer mod- love to be able to have the top going down as I walk up to the car as opposed to opening the door, holding the top down button down etc.

The Group Buy that I participated in is still open for orders til 6/30, anyone interested shoot me a PM for details.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Fiercsm is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E. coli
Just got the Remote Top installed and the comfort/convenience makes this a no brainer mod- love to be able to have the top going down as I walk up to the car as opposed to opening the door, holding the top down button down etc.

The Group Buy that I participated in is still open for orders til 6/30, anyone interested shoot me a PM for details.

Hi,

Don't have enough posts to send PM, so please can you drop me an email at edwarddyu@aol.com with details on the group buy? Thanks, much appreciated. I am a fellow owner in the OC!

Thanks,

Edward

Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 AM
WDC 911 is infamous around these parts
+1 but this is the 5th year for me. I have the SmartTop and RemoteTop.

Originally Posted by GoodSpeed
Mine is three years old.
10 minutes installation.
Absolutely no problems.
Bought it directly from Wilhelmy.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Beans is infamous around these parts
Hello
I also don't have enough posts to send PM, so please can you drop me an email at wgb826@aol.com with details on the group buy? Thanks, Im really liking the smart top.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:48 AM
schumacher is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E. coli

Interested in the remote top still available?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Wheelman is infamous around these parts
I have both for about 2 years now and love them. I currently have issues with the RemoteTop. Seems to work on and off or works or a couple of seconds then freezes.

Smart Top is one of the top mods I've done on the car. The ability to close the top while driving if rain pours or is on the horizon is a great option to have! No problems or issues with that!