996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Getting LWFW, Cats, and New Clutch...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 AM
DucatiS4R is infamous around these parts
Getting LWFW, Cats, and New Clutch...

So my car is either leaking or burning oil. Either way, the transmission has to come out. I have a warranty, so al of this is free. However, my shop offered to install a new clutch/lwft with no labor costs!

I told the shop that I am concerned about clutch chatter. They recommended a high quality billet LWFW with a turbo clutch. I guess the sprung aspect of the turbo clutch will effectively reduce or eliminate chatter? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Also, we believe my cats are bad. I have PSE (996 C4S). Has anyone run 100/200 cel cats on this system or cat eliminating pipes? If so, thoughts on performance and sound? I am not exactly sure what the "button" exactly does, as I have heard there is no performance difference. Would like to know EXACTLY what it does Thank you

,Mike

Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Mike it's a great mod... This page basically explains it and has a video:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=151

However you will get some transmission noise known as "sizzle" and also some "chatter" as they call it when at idle with the clutch pedal depressed and out of gear. My RS does that from the factory with the LWF so I don't mind but don't expect it to be noise free.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:31 AM
gsieck is infamous around these parts
I have the LWFW in my 1999 996 and the billet clutch. There is a little chatter...not really that noticeable...but the engine spool up and down is a huge difference. Well worth it IMHO.

On the cats, I have the Fabspeed 200 cell cats. They give you a nice increase in sound and the butt dyno says an increase in HP. If you go without cats, you will need to get four 02 sensor plugs to keep your CEL from going on. I think you may also have some problems with emmissions testing, depending upon where you live.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
Mike it's a great mod... This page basically explains it and has a video:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=151

However you will get some transmission noise known as "sizzle" and also some "chatter" as they call it when at idle with the clutch pedal depressed and out of gear. My RS does that from the factory with the LWF so I don't mind but don't expect it to be noise free.
Thanks for the late night fast response! That link is very helpful. My shop is mainly focused on racing. They race some AMAZING Porsches. I entirely trust the owner, and he has been very conservative with HP gain estimates so far. For this reasons, I was extremely surprised to hear him say that the new LWFW could feel like an additional 40HP when accelerating??? IF that is close to true, in combination with cat delete/100cel cats, my car would be much faster. I currently have FVD ECU, Intake (K&N filter).

I have the LWFW in my 1999 996 and the billet clutch. There is a little chatter...not really that noticeable...but the engine spool up and down is a huge difference. Well worth it IMHO.

On the cats, I have the Fabspeed 200 cell cats. They give you a nice increase in sound and the butt dyno says an increase in HP. If you go without cats, you will need to get four 02 sensor plugs to keep your CEL from going on. I think you may also have some problems with emmissions testing, depending upon where you live.

Good luck!
Great to hear! The car is registered in Florida so I think I might be fine with emissions? Do you recommend I do race cats or cat delete pipes?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:55 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DucatiS4R
Thanks for the late night fast response! That link is very helpful. My shop is mainly focused on racing. They race some AMAZING Porsches. I entirely trust the owner, and he has been very conservative with HP gain estimates so far. For this reasons, I was extremely surprised to hear him say that the new LWFW could feel like an additional 40HP when accelerating??? IF that is close to true, in combination with cat delete/100cel cats, my car would be much faster. I currently have FVD ECU, Intake (K&N filter).
My pleasure and I've always had single mass flywheels on the NA Porsches I've owned. We do them all the time. The best way to look at it (and realistic) is that you will get better acceleration especially in lower gears. The RS vs the GT3 for example... 0-60 is .2-.3 seconds different.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Kirk is infamous around these partsKirk is infamous around these parts
Great to hear! The car is registered in Florida so I think I might be fine with emissions? Do you recommend I do race cats or cat delete pipes?

Regardless of where you live and what kind of emissions testing your state might have, it's still a violation of federal EPA regulations to completely remove the cats. However, one of my cars is cat-less and has been for the last six years that I've owned it. It's only an issue if you get caught....

Kirk

Old 06-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Are the performance gains from having no cats THAT great over high flow cats?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:52 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
The cat deletes makes the car sound like ***.... Don't do it.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 PM
mfletch is infamous around these parts
Mike, I just did the LWFW (Aasco) and spring centered clutch (Spec stage 2+) on my Porsche. I also did a custom set of high flow cats near the same time. I am very happy with the modifications. Today was the first day that I got to take the car out and really romp on it. The LWFW is amazing. The car accelerates like a sport bike. Double clutching is much more fun. The LWFW makes the Porsche more of a sports car, and less of a grand touring car. During normal driving, the additional noise is not vey noticeable. At idle, in neutral, with the a/c on, it is pretty loud....outside the car. Inside the car, with the windows up or down, you will rarely hear it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Like Alex said, if it is good enough for a GT3 RS, it's good enough for me. Good luck. I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by mfletch; 06-28-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:58 AM
chsu74 is infamous around these parts
I spent time in a GT3RS with LWFW and would definately getting this mod when my clutch needs replacing.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by mfletch
Mike, I just did the LWFW (Aasco) and spring centered clutch (Spec stage 2+) on my Porsche. I also did a custom set of high flow cats near the same time. I am very happy with the modifications. Today was the first day that I got to take the car out and realy romp on it. The LWFW is amazing. The car accelerates like a sport bike. Double clutching is much more fun. The LWFW makes the Porsche more of a sports car, and less of a grand touring car. During normal driving, the additional noise is not vey noticeable. At idle, in neutral, with the a/c on, it is pretty loud....outside the car. Inside the car, with the windows up or down, you will rarely hear it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Like Alex said, if it is good enough for a GT3 RS, it's good enough for me. Good luck. I hope you enjoy it.
Wow. Seems like thats the clear choice then. I drop my car off this week. Cant wait to get it back. Thank you for the advice.

The only decision I have left to make is high flow cats vs. no cats.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:50 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Wow. Seems like thats the clear choice then. I drop my car off this week. Cant wait to get it back. Thank you for the advice.

The only decision I have left to make is high flow cats vs. no cats.
Before you do this mod, I would recommend spending some time in a car with a LWFW and make sure you can live with the extra noise. The amount of noise each clutch/flywheel combo makes is variable, as is the perception of noise by drivers. Make sure you can live with it before you buy it.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:52 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
My pleasure and I've always had single mass flywheels on the NA Porsches I've owned.
Alex, I've seen a few of your posts regarding LWFW on NA engines...any comments about them in turbos?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:32 PM
TdiRacing is infamous around these parts
If you use a set of cat delete pipes, how do you keep the CEL light from coming on? I have heard of spacers where you put the second O2 sensor out of the flow a bit to see the deviation and all is good? Not idea on a 996 if that works as well?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:40 PM
You can flash your ECU to go catless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting LWFW, Cats, and New Clutch...