996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Modification Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
CTS168 is infamous around these parts
Modification Options

Purchased 03 996 Cab, what is the best modification to start with?
Tuning or Suspension?
Should I keep 18" wheels or move up to 19" wheels?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Suspension and braking comes before HP... rule of all performance motor works.

A

Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 AM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
19" wheels then suspension (coilovers).

Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
18" wheels perfrom better and have a better ride. 19" wheels are pure cosmetics. Go for the suspension. Then tuning

Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Kirk is infamous around these partsKirk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dharn55
18" wheels perfrom better and have a better ride. 19" wheels are pure cosmetics. Go for the suspension. Then tuning
+1 I've got 18's on my Boxster S and couldn't be happier. Personally I think they look fine. I've got 19's on my C4S and they're a bit harsh, especially when they slam over bad sections of the road. I don't think they look that much better than the 18's, but give up too much in the ride.

Kirk

Old 06-30-2009, 10:41 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by CTS168
Purchased 03 996 Cab, what is the best modification to start with?
Tuning or Suspension?
Should I keep 18" wheels or move up to 19" wheels?
Modifiication for what? Purpose? Daily Driver? Concours? Weekend Touring? Track duty? Etc. etc.

Would help to know what you are doing before we give you advice on what to "upgrade."

-td

Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dharn55
+1. a good set of 18s and tires. For suspension, ROW, X74 or for a more track minded car, coilovers.

jorge

Old 06-30-2009, 04:05 PM
erubin is infamous around these parts
+1 suspension suspension suspension

Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Can you explain ROW & X74 for me. No familiar with the terms.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Weekend Touring & Track Duty

Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Weekend Touring & Track Duty
IF you are going to the track, you will probably want to do the upgrades once and not in stages. For the serious track junky that isn't going to convert their car to total track usage, PSS9/10 are very popular. These are one way adjustable. Some folks have gone even more aggressive with KW, JRZ, Moton remote reservoir, but this is not a typical compromise solution. M030 is between stock and PSS9, but closer to stock.

You will want to upgrade sway bars at the same time. GT3 adjustable with the new Tarett front sway bar mounts are the rage. HR is also workable for track duty.

For extra camber, you will want GT3 control arms and/or upper monoball mounts. Hardcore guys replace anything plastic.

Lightweight wheels will decrease unsprung weight, as will 2 piece brake rotors with aluminum hats. Unfortunately, the only real solution here for the 996 is PFC dimpled. You could upgrade your entire brake system if you were trying to put bigger rotors/calipers. 997 GT3 brake scoops will help as well. Flush with Motul 600 and you should be fine.

You will want to get the 3rd radiator in front as well if you track in the summer. And you might consider adapting the GT3 internal brake ducting to keep your rotors cool.

Don't forget the X51 oil pan or in the alternative deep sump with extended pickup. You could also get an additional oil scavenge pump to be on the safe side

Then GT3 Euro seats, GMG or Tequipment roll bar, 6 point harnesses and a diet.

Somewhere in there, get a more aggressive alignment and some sticky rubber.

I may have forgot something, but this should get you close.

Time spent = hours and hours.
Money spent = dollars and dollars and more dollars.
Result = smiles and more smiles.

-td

[edit: and put $15,000 aside for when your engine grenades

also what part of south Texas you at? There are a bunch of folks in the Houston area]

Last edited by himself; 07-01-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Great feedback "himself"

#1 PSS9 or PSS10 and what about the H&R version of PSS10?
(were do you get M030 and are they factory parts?)
My plans are DE and becoming track junky only.

#2 I like the sway bar idea as well. Were do I purchase the GT3 (adjustable w/ teratt)?

#3 I have been shopping around for new wheels lots of options out there.
(ex. TechArt, Chamption Motorsport, & others)
Nobody provides weight specs to compare, it would be helpful in making decision
unless they all weight the same which i doubt.

#4 Doesn't the 03 996 have a 3rd radiator in the middle or is that something else?
Is it a transmision radiator?

#5 On the sticker rubber, looking at Michelin PS2 or General Tire UHP Tires
(are you familiar with Generals? ~ great specs, pricing and nice aggressive tread @ TireTrack 8.7 rated)

#6 I agree about the TMS (Time, Money & Smiles)

#7 Corpus Christi

Old 07-02-2009, 10:33 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
Can you explain ROW & X74 for me. No familiar with the terms.

from the carnewal.com web site

ROW030

P96 Euro Sport Suspension PackageThis kit comes with all the parts needed for this conversion:
Shocks for front and rear, the four springs, bigger stabilizer bars and bushings .
For all P96 C2 or C4, with the standard suspension.
Lowers the cars 20mm in the front and 10mm in the rear.
Sets are available for 3.4L and 3.6L versions of the P96.
All parts are new, oem and come with warranty .

X74

P96 "X74"Lowered Sport Suspension for C2 carsFactory X74 retrofit that lowers the P96 40mm in the front and 30mm in the rear.
The kit comes with completey pre-assembled struts for front and rear that makes the installation faster and very straightforward.
The kit comes with reinforcement parts and includes bigger stabilizers for the front and rear with bushings.

I have ROW030 on mine.

good luck

jorge

Old 07-02-2009, 12:10 PM
bjarne996 is infamous around these parts
Great feedback "himself"

Nobody provides weight specs to compare, it would be helpful in making decision
unless they all weight the same which i doubt.
Start at: http://www.944racing.de/
then choose "Felgengwichte" under INFORMATIONEN on the bottom left side.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:39 PM
#1 PSS9 or PSS10 and what about the H&R version of PSS10?
(were do you get M030 and are they factory parts?)
My plans are DE and becoming track junky only.
I'm not aware of a separate HR version of the PSS10. PSS9/10 are made by Bilstein and are car specific. You can add on HR springs, but this will upset the design. HR sway bars are OK.

#2 I like the sway bar idea as well. Were do I purchase the GT3 (adjustable w/ teratt)?
GT3 sway bars are all adjustable. They are available at a lot of places (Suncoast, Sunset, Pelican, TRG, Tarett, etc). Do a search here or on google to find the best price. Tarett sells the bars and links as a package www.tarett.com.

Nobody provides weight specs to compare, it would be helpful in making decision unless they all weight the same which i doubt.
Everybody is different here. I've seen BBS, Fikse, Champion etc on the track. Personally, I have one set of GT3 wheels and 2 sets of aftermarket Turbo Twists.

#4 Doesn't the 03 996 have a 3rd radiator in the middle or is that something else?
You might if someone added it on. But, I don't think it was standard on any year C2 standard except the 04 anniversary edition. C2 Tiptronics DO have it though. And maybe the X51 option gets one, but I don't have X51, so I don't know.

#5 On the sticker rubber, looking at Michelin PS2 or General Tire UHP Tires (are you familiar with Generals? ~ great specs, pricing and nice aggressive tread @ TireTrack 8.7 rated)
Heh, I moved away from street tires long ago. I mostly use R-comp tires [e.g., Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, Toyo R-888 (RA1), Hoosier R6, Nitto NT-01, BF Goodrich R1, etc] or full-on slicks [Hoosier, Dunlop, Yokohama].

If you get the track bug, make your way up to DFW sometime. We have a few tracks to run!

-td