996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cat delete pipes...question about CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
TdiRacing is infamous around these parts
Cat delete pipes...question about CEL

I was looking at those delete pipes and wondering how to keep the CEL from coming on? I know on other cars, you can set the second o2 sensor out of the flow a bit to show a deviation so the light does not come on. I know people have said that a tune can keep it off, but I am wondering how the cars run with this kind of stuff done? I would prefer some high flow cats, but not in the funds right now so looking at some other options...

Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
I have heard that if you put the ROW program on the car it will not throw a CEL because they do not have cats, and so they dont have that last sensor.
Just what I heard though, can't confirm it.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 PM
gsieck is infamous around these parts
Contact the guys at Fabspeed (www.fabspeed.com) they can set you up with some plugs for teh sensors to keep your CEL from coming on. BTW, it doesn't matter if the CEL comes on--the car should run fine.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:59 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
CA smog will fail.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
The advice above is all sound. You won't pass CA smog with the C.E.L. on, and the extensions should work for awhile, depending how much you drive... inevitably the light will most likely come on after driving with this setup for a long time, but again this doesn't neccissarily mean anything is wrong. Your best bet if you want to completely delete the cats is to run a tune from someone like Todd over at EVOMS. Not only will this let the car's computer know that you are flowing more air and everything is in the norm, but it will also let your car know what to do with that added air and make the most of it, ultimately producing more power - most noteably in the mid-range. One of the best mods you can do for the stock N/A cars is the combination of some sort of exhaust system to flow more air, an intake (either BMC type drop-in filter or true cold-air intake system like a V-Flow) in order to get more air into the motor and some sort of ECU flash to let the car know what to do with all the added air-flow. If you can package these together I think you'll be surprised not only by the sound the car now makes, but also the added go! - Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 AM
TdiRacing is infamous around these parts
Will start with some mufflers, then decide on the cat's or delete pipes and then get the car tuned for what I will end up using. Thanks everyone for the info. I am still learning ...