996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

gas gauge is never at full :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 AM
ufranko996 is infamous around these parts
if u don't want to hold it upside down, you can also pull on the rubber thing upwards like how you fill up a gas can after it starts to click off. thats what i do.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 PM
xquizitcustoms is a jewel in the roughxquizitcustoms is a jewel in the roughxquizitcustoms is a jewel in the roughxquizitcustoms is a jewel in the rough
So funny, in NJ you can't pump your own gas. At the gas station that I normally go to only one of the pumps fills up the tank to the Max, if that pump is taken I end up with 3/4 tank...let's see their reaction when I tell them to place it upside down.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:39 AM
hockeychamp is infamous around these parts
anyone overfill a tank with the nozzle upside down or does it still click off at full?

Old 12-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
Darn, just spent a ton on my 2004 C4S trying to fix this. Had them do the TSB (on my dime) which loosened the hoses in the gas tank and removed the flap at the bottom on the fill up pipe. Then had to replace the charcoal filter can because I overfilled trying to get the gas in and filled it up with gas. After all this it did no good, still only fills to 3/4. Will try the upside down method and kick myself each time for spending so much without any result.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:57 PM
fotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud of
Upside down is the way to go, it still clicks when full as expected...

Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
I filled up mine last night with close to 17 gal and I just got less than half on the gauge that went up slowly to half. First time it happened as I always fill up only at 2 stations and previously they were always at full.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Zmonsta is infamous around these parts
I have 99 with same problem, only owned it for the past 1.5 months. I had some luck with upside down pump (intermittent though) no guarantees and does not always work. Usually I fill up when the light comes on and ends up putting in about 13.5 gallons after 250 miles or so. Does this sound right to others? I think I can live with gauge reading almost full...

Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Bavarias_Finest is infamous around these parts
This won't come as new information to most, but also trying filling up in the morning and evening when temperatures are colder. Fuel in the tank, and the gas station is condensed, so you are making sure you are getting bang for your buck.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Arin is a splendid one to beholdArin is a splendid one to beholdArin is a splendid one to beholdArin is a splendid one to beholdArin is a splendid one to beholdArin is a splendid one to beholdArin is a splendid one to behold
I had the same problem, but I started using the upside down method and it went away. I have to say that this was the most annoying problem I've had on a car. I'm one of those guys that likes to have a full tank all the time.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:08 PM
EastBay is infamous around these parts
I followed the advice of running the tank all the way to empty a few times and the gauge goes to full every time now

Old 12-17-2009, 10:33 PM
eaniemeanie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bavarias_Finest
This won't come as new information to most, but also trying filling up in the morning and evening when temperatures are colder. Fuel in the tank, and the gas station is condensed, so you are making sure you are getting bang for your buck.
You would get the same amount of additional gas by finding the lowest elevation gas station in you town.....meaning you ain't getting a measurable difference between 7am filling versus 2pm filling. The gas is in the ground where fluctuations in temperatures are minimal.

However I do have the answer about the not filling up.....

The first cars off the line of Porsches were to be sent to Australia and the tanks were magnetically charged to accommodate the southern hemisphere. But this was right before the 1998 Australian Water Front Dispute...

1998_Australian_waterfront_dispute

The Australian waterfront dispute of 1998 was a severe and protracted industrial relations dispute, primarily between the Maritime Union of Australia (MUA) and Patrick Corporation, a stevedoring and transportation company led by chief executive officer Chris Corrigan. Patrick Corporation had the support of the Howard Government, particularly the then Workplace Relations Minister Peter Reith. The dispute, which became the most contentious industrial relations dispute in Australia for many years, centred around attempts by Patrick and the Federal Government to improve efficiency on Australia's wharves, primarily by reducing worker entitlements and the power of the MUA. It also acted as a litmus test for the workings of the government's "new industrial relations" system.
In turn the cars were then shipped to the US without changing out the SHPFT's (Southern Hemisphere Polarized Fuel Tanks) Part number 996-01-1AUS

So the only way you can fill the tank is by, well, turning the pump handle upside down.....

Look it up.....

Old 12-17-2009, 11:13 PM
fotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eaniemeanie

In turn the cars were then shipped to the US without changing out the SHPFT's (Southern Hemisphere Polarized Fuel Tanks) Part number 996-01-1AUS

So the only way you can fill the tank is by, well, turning the pump handle upside down.....

Look it up.....
Simply Brilliant! I love it man!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
I find this so annoying, I've had 2 MK1 996's, and both had the same issue...

Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
Oh what a wonderful feeling!!! After spending a ton of money and all kinds of time trying to fix it, I just turned the nozzle upside down and it filled up with no problem. It is such a pleasure seeing the needle on full. Everyone, thank you for the advice - It works!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 AM
rs2k2k is infamous around these parts
thanks for the tip

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: gas gauge is never at full :(