996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cb Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:06 PM
PierceZ is infamous around these parts
Wow lots of responses I'm guessing the simple answer would be no, but it sounds like it been done. I wasn't aware u'd need a big antenna. The reason I asked is because my brother (drives an M5) brought it up that it might be real useful on our roadtrips because we always take multiple cars. Cellphones communication while driving is such a pain in the *** and honestly I think a bit dangerous. Thanks for all the responses!

Old 07-31-2009, 03:39 PM
erubin is infamous around these parts
Better off buying a set of Motorola hand held FRS radios. They have a 5-15 mile range depending on model, are small, and are fully self contained. I use them when I snowboard with the kids in Jackson.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 PM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
Originally Posted by erubin
Better off buying a set of Motorola hand held FRS radios. They have a 5-15 mile range depending on model, are small, and are fully self contained. I use them when I snowboard with the kids in Jackson.

I don't really know if I bought an FRS set of radios, but whatever Motorola thingy I bought, the package said they could do 7 miles. In reality, it worked about 1/4 mile at best. And they weren't cheap. So watch out for overstated range.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
plan-b is infamous around these parts
GMRS radios have better range. Still not the advertised range but better than FRS. As long as the two cars stay within visual range of each other, they should work. I've done several multi-car road trips with them and they're awesome. Definitely more reliable than mobile phones when in fringe areas.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:27 PM
PassWithCare is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by plan-b
GMRS radios have better range. Still not the advertised range but better than FRS. As long as the two cars stay within visual range of each other, they should work. I've done several multi-car road trips with them and they're awesome. Definitely more reliable than mobile phones when in fringe areas.
I completely agree. A buddy of mine in his own 996 (me in mine) did a 1500 mile 'road trip' in about 56 hours (same trip I got my ticket on. yeah, we both got cited). We used a set of GMRS walkie talkies to keep in touch. The range isn't great but the convenience made up for it. Simple push of the button comments.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Just use a hand held scanner and listen in for the Smokey reports.....