996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Painted Wheels??? Waste of $$$???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
Painted Wheels??? Waste of $$$???

Looking to get my wheels painted to add some life to my 4S. My wife and I just had our first baby, so I didn't want to drop $$$ on new wheels and tires. Fortunately the 911 isn't being traded in for a mini-van, so I'm looking to do something without breaking the bank . Or should I just leave them alone? Thanks..

Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Nice wheels, I actually like them how they are.

If you wanted a change, you may be able to paint the inside, "swooped" parts of the blades a slightly darker grey.. and I mean slightly.

This would give a deeper effect to the wheel without making it look too harsh. Otherwise I say leave it.

I have 997 C2S Lobster Fork wheels on my Mk1 996 Aero and I like them the factory silver they came in...

Cheers
Aaron

Old 08-10-2009, 05:01 PM
nsaigh is infamous around these parts
Another option for changing the appearance of your wheels would be to powder coat them. The previous owner of my 996 had a set of GT3 wheels powder coated black. Very durable finish and looks great.

I was surprised to see how affordable the process was. According to the receipt, it cost ~$260 for all four wheels and the lug bolts.

-N

Old 08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
I agree.... wheels are nice as is.

I've seen that style with the flat part (the 5 skinny flat spot of the spokes) & the center and center caps painted black with a ring of black around outside and looked pretty good.
Just trying to give another option.

hmmm. how else could you blow some dough.... titanium lugs?

congrats on the kid.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
There is a member on here with your exact same car with the same wheels and he painted them a flat black and they came out really good do a search on here and you should find it. His member name might be Brando or something i dont recall........

Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
If you can find an affordable way to lower the car, you will definitely like the sportier look a lot more than a wheel color change. It will change the car completely for the better in the looks department.

I was just looking at an older pic of my car when I just added BBS LM wheels on stock ride height, and I threw up a little in my mouth at the 4x4 look.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:07 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i think it looks great the way it is, i'm really not a fan of painted wheels

how about a performance mod ?

Old 08-10-2009, 05:14 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
I say paint them the same color as the car. It gives the car a custom look without breaking the bank. Maybe a little darker than stock paint would look smooth.
One problem, painted wheels show the dirt more than silver aluminum so you'll be washing them more.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned
kensill has a spectacular aura aboutkensill has a spectacular aura about
If your getting rid of leave it stock, you can get more money a lot of the time. gl

Old 08-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

I have the standard hollow turbo twist, not the sport techno..........that I use for track/DE wheels.

But I did paint them satin black and it is holding up great.

Ordered the stripes off ebay. They are pre curved and easy to apply.

Best would be to have the powder coated, but you can do a good job yourself if you take your time and do the prep work.

Our cars are Twins....so you can see how it would look.

Originally Posted by HxCforlife
There is a member on here with your exact same car with the same wheels and he painted them a flat black and they came out really good do a search on here and you should find it. His member name might be Brando or something i dont recall........

Last edited by Brando; 08-10-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
Most guys with a new baby are looking to sell their P-cars. Your's looks good as is.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:31 PM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
Brando, that looks amazing! Night a day difference on the wheels for not a lot of money.

But it must be lowered, right?

Originally Posted by Brando
I have the standard hollow turbo twist, not the sport techno..........that I use for track/DE wheels.

Best would be to have the powder coated, but you can do a good job yourself if you take your time and do the prep work.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
[quote=ice350;2495770]I say paint them the same color as the car......

+1

Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 AM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
Nice setup!!

Originally Posted by Brando

I really like what you did with your wheels and the red stripes. Looks reallly great! Thanks again..

Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
looks good as is. it could use some lowering....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painted Wheels??? Waste of $$$???