996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Roll Bar w/ Backseats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Breakthru is infamous around these parts
Roll Bar w/ Backseats?

Here's my dilemma. I'd like to get a roll bar, but i need to have my backseats for a car seat. My 2 year old son loves my car too much not to ride in it so there must be some way I can run the cross bar on days he's not in it and just remove it when I need to have a car seat in the back.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Breakthru
Here's my dilemma. I'd like to get a roll bar, but i need to have my backseats for a car seat. My 2 year old son loves my car too much not to ride in it so there must be some way I can run the cross bar on days he's not in it and just remove it when I need to have a car seat in the back.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing?
Swapping a Tequipment or GMG rollbar [or probably any other bar] in and out will drive you bonkers. The seats have to come out, everything gets covered, the rollbar gently inserted/forced into car, then you have to fight with the bolts. And fight some more. Then curse and fight some more. AND, If you strip one of the mounts, you are completely SOL. Not to mention, the first time you crack your windshield doing it, you'll never want swap it out again. Getting the rollbar out is a bit easier [no fighting with bolts], but you might still crack your windshield. IMO, those things need to be installed for the long haul.

If you are putting the rollbar in for harnesses, you will probably be running fixed back seats. And, fixed back seats (racing seats or Euro GT3 seats) will make it very hard to get a baby into the back - and more importantly OUT in an emergency.

If you are not using racing seats and harnesses, you might be OK without a roll bar on the track - although with it would be safer.

In the alternative, you might contemplate a harness bar. Those are easy to get in/out and will work with racing seats and harnesses.

-td

Old 08-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
there is a 996 tequipment bar that has no diagonals for sale in the classifieds...allows access to rear seat but no provision for harness mounts..you will need a separate harness bar or use stock seats/belts...DO NOT...use a racing seat and harness without roll protection...that is an unnecessary risk of your life...

Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
there is a 996 tequipment bar that has no diagonals for sale in the classifieds...allows access to rear seat but no provision for harness mounts..you will need a separate harness bar or use stock seats/belts...DO NOT...use a racing seat and harness without roll protection...that is an unnecessary risk of your life...
Chuck,

He needs to access the rear seats to put his 2-year old son in the back. I don't think sliding a baby through the rollbar opening is a good option

-td

Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 AM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
Originally Posted by himself
Chuck,

He needs to access the rear seats to put his 2-year old son in the back. I don't think sliding a baby through the rollbar opening is a good option

-td
at age 2, there's no sliding babies, you just tell them to figure their own way back there.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the roll bar I was talking about is made for the C2,C4, tt to allow access to the rear seat...there are no diagonal bars so the opening to the rear seats is nearly as big as it is without the bar in there at all

Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 AM
carsareart is infamous around these parts
I have wondered if I could use this bar too and retain the back seats for limited use. subscribed

Old 08-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
the roll bar I was talking about is made for the C2,C4, tt to allow access to the rear seat...there are no diagonal bars so the opening to the rear seats is nearly as big as it is without the bar in there at all
Hey Chuck- are you talking about the Tequipment version without the diagonals?

Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

I think so.

But if you want to use that roll bar and you want to install full harness's, you would need a seperate harness bar.....and there goes your rear seat access and kinda defeats the objective.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Administrator

yes, and a used one just sold for $200 in the classifieds...as stated you will need a separate harness bar but I believe that there are removable ones made to work with the Tquip bar so you can still have full access to the rear seats when needed...check Suncoast, Cdoc, DAS and Autopower for tquip and other bars and harness bars

Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 PM
mfletch is infamous around these parts
I have the Tequipment bar installed in the back of my 996. My two teenage boys (both over 5'10") can fit back there for (very) short rides. Be sure to pad it in the areas where a little head can come into contact with it. I can no longer fold my back seats down, which is no great loss.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the insight everyone, this is super helpful!

mfletch- The question is will I be able to squeeze a car seat back there?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
i have a roll cage and i took my back seats out!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:50 PM
mfletch is infamous around these parts
It has been a few years since I have put a car seat in a car. I would be surprised if it cleared the side bars.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:29 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Bumping this old thread just curious how it all ended. Car seat fit with the bar? God i lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Roll Bar w/ Backseats?