996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

H.I.D. Bulb Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 03:29 AM
dgray996 is infamous around these parts
H.I.D. Bulb Question

I just swapped out the OEM fog light bulbs (H3's) to the PIAA Xtreame White Plus. The fog lights and the Xeonons match great now.

However, there's another small halogen running light inside the headlight assembly, and it's labeled H6. I just spoke with PIAA and they don't make an H6. Does anyone know of a solution towards the replacement of the running light, or should I just pull the bulb out?

I find that the yellowish hue detracts from the xeonon look.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:52 AM
Still searching the www and Phillips makes a Blue Vision H6 for the european market, however I'm hoping that fellow 6 speeders may have a solution on how to best obtain those...........................

Old 11-09-2004, 05:11 AM
Poursha is infamous around these parts
I got Philips Blue Vision H6W bulbs at:
http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

Not a perfect match for xenons, but pretty close.

They're in the UK--their prices include shipping--takes about a week to arrive.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Poursha, thank you! I'll be placing an order very soon.

Old 11-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Just placed my order and FYI they're having a promotion that included two free W5W Blue Vision side marker bulbs!

Old 11-09-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by dgray996
Just placed my order and FYI they're having a promotion that included two free W5W Blue Vision side marker bulbs!
I forgot about that--I also got them for free, and they look nice with the clear side marker lenses.

And this mod, courtesy of Itzkirb, makes the side markers flash with your turn singals:
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album103

Old 11-09-2004, 08:43 AM
I had thought that the W5W bulbs went into the clear side markers, which I do have courtesy of FVD... thanks once again for the help with the low cost mod.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:33 AM
9112GO is infamous around these parts
This is great stuff! Thanks much. I just ordered the PIAA Xtreme White Plus replacements for the H3's and I'll definitely replace the running lights as well. Any thoughts on replacing the high beams?

Old 11-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by 9112GO
This is great stuff! Thanks much. I just ordered the PIAA Xtreme White Plus replacements for the H3's and I'll definitely replace the running lights as well. Any thoughts on replacing the high beams?
With bi-xenon lights, both low and high beams use the same xenon bulb, and there's a reflective lens that moves the position of the light beam between low and high. When you select high beams, a secondary bulb is illuminated, which acts as a fill light below the high beam. This bulb is a conventional bulb, and has a yellowish tint, especially compared to the bluish xenon light. Philips was supposed to release a Blue Vision bulb for this application (bulb type H11), but that was over 6 months ago, and nothing yet. Hoen has a Xenonmatch H11 bulb
http://www.hoen-usa.com/orderpage.htm#h11 but it is a blue tint coated bulb, and when not illuminated, you can see the blue shadow in the headlight reflector (can you say "rice"), and when illuminated it's not a very good match for the xenons, so I put the stock bulbs back in. Hopefully Philips releases the Blue Vision bulb soon.

I also replaced the yellow front and rear turn signal bulbs (PY21W) with Philips Silver Vision bulbs:
http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/
When off, you don't see the yellow shadow in the reflectors, but they blink yellow.

Last edited by Poursha; 11-09-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:05 AM
9112GO is infamous around these parts
More great information! It is indeed the yellowish secondary bulbs that I was referring to, not the actual bi-xenon bulb. Gee, I had no idea how bulbs needed replacing but you're right about the front turn signals. The rear ones don't appear to have a yellow shadow, at least not tghat I can see in my garage right now. I'll check them out in daylight tomorrow.

Thanks much,

Chuck

Old 11-10-2004, 12:35 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
OK.........I'm assuming this is the little guy we are talking about replacing?.........but I'm confused as to what we have found as a good clear bulb (not blue) that burns w/a high color temp.....the Phillips H6W?
I have 6000K D2s as my main bulb......appears the H6Ws are 3300K.

Last edited by GreggT; 11-10-2004 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by GreggT
OK.........I'm assuming this is the little guy we are talking about replacing?.........but I'm confused as to what we have found as a good clear bulb (not blue) that burns w/a high color temp.....the Phillips H6W?
Yes, that's it... the H6W

Old 11-10-2004, 01:55 AM
Greg, after further review of your note I see that you have a 993, in which case is a totally different headlight set-up

Old 11-10-2004, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by GreggT
I thought the stock 996 xenon bulbs were around 4,500K--did you upgrade them?

The Philips Blue Vision H6W bulb (3,300K) is a closer match to the xenons than the stock bulb (~2,500K), and although it is blue coated, it doesn't show a blue shadow when not illuminated. As I said above, not a perfect match, but better than stock, and the closest to xenon I've been able to find.

Old 11-10-2004, 05:13 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by dgray996
Greg, after further review of your note I see that you have a 993, in which case is a totally different headlight set-up
No, no, no.........yes I do have Litronics on the 993 but both the Cab and Turbo have the D2S I mentioned (with the light I have pictured).........BTW this very project, of ridding the 96 light assembly of the little "yellow burner" was a project I undertook a couple years ago without success.

I was happy to see the thread and look forward to the fix.
BTW....back then I got my 6000K D2s's from Autolamps Online, the HID PIAA Extreme whites for the sidemarkers and H3 5000K Super Plasmas for the fogs from Autobarn.

Last edited by GreggT; 11-10-2004 at 09:34 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: H.I.D. Bulb Question