996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Zaino/ZFX problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Mother is infamous around these parts
Zaino/ZFX problem

I finished buffing my side skirts and put Zaino Z2 on, but forgot to purchase and use the ZFX. Will there be a big difference if it is not used and can I still put multiple coats on?. If it is a problem how do I fix? Meant to post in detail section sorry.

Last edited by Mother; 08-17-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mother
I finished buffing my side skirts and put Zaino Z2 on, but forgot to purchase and use the ZFX. Will there be a big difference if it is not used and can I still put multiple coats on?. If it is a problem how do I fix? Meant to post in detail section sorry.
Did you check the Zaino product info and FAQ's on their website?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Yes, but still confusing there faq's say use ZFX and polish but on there application page it says clean with clay bar and apply polish. So was looking for first hand info.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
the main purpose for ZFX is to:
1. allow for less than optimal surface preparation, and
2. allow faster application between coats.

No worries if you don't use it as long as you allow time for the polymer to cure before removed and next coat applied. Also do the Z-6 (or Z-8) between coats...I prefer Z-6 personally.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Also do the Z-6 (or Z-8) between coats...I prefer Z-6 personally.
Is Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray used every once in awhile or if I was say putting 2 coats in a row of Z2 I would put it on between doing the 2 coats to get higher gloss? I did not see a curing time data sheet for temp but the bottle said at least 15 mins and here in phoenix at 107 degrees I would think it is not long.

The pic is poor quality sorry but it did look deeper/darker then the door panel.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Mother; 08-17-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mother
Yes, but still confusing there faq's say use ZFX and polish but on there application page it says clean with clay bar and apply polish. So was looking for first hand info.
The third step is to apply your choice of Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes, Z-3 Show Car Polish for Non-clear Coated Paint, or Z-5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches using a clean 100% cotton, made in the USA, Zaino Custom Polish Applicator. Our applicators are specially designed 100% virgin cotton pad, with special reversed stitching to prevent scratching of paint surfaces. Pour a small nickel (1 inch) size dab of Zaino Show Car Polish on your applicator. To help with even coverage, spread the nickel sized Zaino Show Car Polish out on the applicator pad like butter on bread before wiping on. On top panels, apply Zaino Show Car Polish using front-to-back hand motions. On side panels, use up-and-down hand motions. This helps improve reflectivity. There’s no need to rub hard or long, just apply thin and even coats. Apply the Show Car Polish to the whole car and allow it to haze. Once hazed, you can buff of the light residue immediately or allow it to sit for a few hours or over night. No matter how long your let it sit, it will still be easy to buff off to a beautiful finish.

To buff, use a clean, dry 100% cotton, made in the USA, cloth buffing towel. The higher quality towel you use, the better your results. For most cars, you will need two towels to adequately buff off the Show Car Polish residue.

The final step is optional, but offers exceptional results. Give your car a final wipe down with Z-6 Ultra-Clean Gloss Enhancing Spray. Z-6 further enhances the Show Car Polish shine and picks up any remaining residue around emblems, seals and crevices.

To increase and improve your show car shine, apply one or more additional coats of Show Car Polish. Wait a minimum of 12 hours between coats, or use our new ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive. When you add ZFX™ to your Show Car Polish you don’t need to use Z-1 Polish-LOK™, and there’s virtually no wait time required between coats of Z-2, Z-3 or Z-5 Show Car Polish.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 PM
I was at a high end car shop today and they suggested Z5/Z8 so I traded in my Z2 for Z5 it's used for dark color cars and Z8 for bling. They also invited me down when they do a detail so I can see the difference when using Zaino step products.

Last edited by Mother; 08-19-2009 at 02:35 PM.