996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Valentine One / Lidatek Rear-View Mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 09:18 PM
BeastPower is infamous around these parts
Valentine One / Lidatek Rear-View Mirrors

BeastPower is now a proud sponsor of 6speedonline.com. We would like to let everyone here know about the Valentine One rear-view mirrors that we make for the 996 and several other sports-cars/sports-sedans. The Lidatek laser echo system's transponder LEDs are also built into the mirror display.

BeastPower Motorsports, Inc. Website Link

Auto-Dimming Mirror (common on the 996TT):

Non-Auto-Dimming Mirror (common on other 996 models). This mirror also has a built in Valentine One power adapter, built-in speaker and built-in control/volume/mute ****:

Remote Volume/Control/Mute **** with built-in speaker. Can be used with the auto-dimming rear-view mirror:

We also have mirrors for the Boxster and Cayenne, along with many for Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus and other high-line vehicles.

Cheers.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Your product looks great! Can you explain to us the benefit of this.. the only reason I ask... and don't get me wrong I am a huge gadget freak!! If I hide the V1 somewhere other then the windshield lets say in a box in the dash.. doesn't that lose sensivity of the detector? The V1 as you know has front and rear sensors for a reason.. The only real solution was what Darren had done in his TT a while back.. Reus dismantled the V1 and installed the sensors in the front and rear bumpers. Im all for hiding the bulky box and having a cool mirror. but if doing so shaves a second off my "Oh ****" lights then I won't be happy.. Please correct me if Im wrong and then tell me what the group buy price would be..

Old 09-22-2003, 10:09 PM
meiwah98 is infamous around these parts
Kevin, I've seen this item before on another site. I don't think it eliminates the V1 main unit, only the concealed remote unit is housed inside the rear view mirror.

You still have to mount your V1 on your windshield as normal somewhere for it to read radar; you can now shut off the visuals off the V1 and read the warnings on your rear view mirror instead, unless you do what Darren did.

Old 09-22-2003, 11:23 PM
Kevin M.,
meiwah98 is exactly correct. You will still need the V1 main unit mounted somewhere. However, you will no longer need to see the V1's main display, and no longer have to use it's control ****. This opens up several new mounting locations. The box will keep the unit is a high position (roof level) and have front/rear windows to allow the laser detection to function. Radar detection will not lose its sensitivity, as radar does not need line-of-sight. The box will be made of a material that is transparent to radar.

The 996 non-auto-dimming mirror is especially trick, as it not only has the Valentine One and Lidatek displays, control **** and speaker built-in, it also has the Valentine One direct wire power adapter built into the mirror This means that the main Valentine one unit connects directly to the mirror, which keeps wiring to an absolute minimum.

Cheers.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:37 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
I completely understand that I still need the main V1 unit and still have to hide it in the corner... but as I asked before what exactly would be the benefit of this? I think Im answering my own question because when people come to my house and ask why do you have a remote control that controls every light, thermostat, blinds and on on... I say cause its fun and convenient.... So I guess this is in the same catagory... Right?

This is where my V1 goes now.. can't see the wire and if take my contacts out I can pretend that the lights are in the mirror

Old 09-23-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Kevin M.
I think Im answering my own question because when people come to my house and ask why do you have a remote control that controls every light, thermostat, blinds and on on... I say cause its fun and convenient.... So I guess this is in the same catagory... Right?
Right you are. This is a very cool looking modification and when used in conjunction with the remote control **** (either built into the mirror or in dashboard switch) you have a very "trick" setup that gives your vehicle a much more integrated look. Nobody really likes wires hanging everywhere, and this solution helps out. One other issue to consider, is that keeping the Valentine One connected with suction cups to the wind-shield will turn it into a lethal projectile in the event of an accident. Having the V1 enclosed in a "box," or securely attached somewhere is a much better and safer approach.

Cheers.

This is what the mirror looks when turned on at night:

Old 10-05-2003, 01:01 PM
Any interest in a group buy?

Old 10-05-2003, 02:07 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post some pictures of this bix you are talking about - that might make everyone interested and possibly some diff. mounting pictures with your 'box"

Old 10-05-2003, 06:32 PM
dpblessing is infamous around these parts
Kevin;
Right now I have my V1 mounted just to the left of the rear view mirror as high as possible.
I think the major advantage of the integrated mirror diplay is that I get one less place to look while driving. Right now I scan the rearview mirror, instrument cluster, rearview mirror, ahead, rear view mirror, the side mirrors, the rear mirror and the V1 (am I dizzy yet?). I probably spend more time looking at the rearview than anywhere else.
The integrated unit will eliminate one of those I think that is a good thing. Also, I think I would relocate the V1 to the passenger side so that I can use my sun visor without blocking part of the V1.

But - don't tell BeastPower that I might be interested or else I may not be able to beat them up on the price

Old 10-06-2003, 09:50 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC is infamous around these parts
Next Project????

Beast...
great product, now if only you could incorporate the rest of the V1 into the mirror. In the US, all mirrors are angled left, so the right side of the mirror has about 6-7 inches to the window. Now that the indicators are cleanly in the mirror, is there a way to mount the rest of the guts up there, even if it meant an abomination, kinda like the oversimplified attachment. The new V1's are 4.5 deep x 3.6 wide...as long as the rear facing 'eye' could go thru the mirror/glass...the front 'eye' would be in a perfect spot....and you've already got power to the mirror and all the indicators...

People pay 3k for a custom install that can't easily be removed when you get rid of the car. This way you could take the mirror out of the car if you sell it etc., especially since more mirrors mount in a similar way...

just an idea....

Attached Images