996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Winter tire opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 06:39 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Question Winter tire opinion

I was thinking about buying winter tires for my C2. I don't plan on driving too much in the winter but I don't want the car to sit for 3 to 4 months either. Is it worth the expense/effort. In some ways this would also cut down on wear on my regular tires.

Opinions?

Old 11-18-2004, 06:58 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
Yep it is worth it...

Mine will be going on in the next week or two, and yes it's not a waste of money as you'll just be spitting time between another set of tires.

If you want to understand why you may want them, with your summer tires, wait for a nice 30'-40' day and downshift at 60-70mph and punch it, you will have wheel spin you never though possible in your C2. Now think about that when your not expecting the spin on a 20' or lower day... Hello wall

Old 11-18-2004, 08:42 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Corey,

Do you use your car daily? I am going to try to limit my driving to 100 to 150 miles a month during the winter season. I have a suv to use, and I even avoid rain when I can. With this in mind do you still have the same view?

Old 11-18-2004, 09:04 AM
rabkay is infamous around these parts
snow tires on a c2

i was also curious about this - bought a set of porsche wheels with michelin pilot alpins for my c2 last winter and wow -goes through anything and i live in rochester,ny. just put them back on for this season. i drive the car every day - it is a real treat...

Old 11-18-2004, 09:08 AM
mal28 is infamous around these parts
I am putting Blizzard 25's on my C4S today, I'lllet you know how they ride, should be great this winter in Ohio

Old 11-18-2004, 09:27 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
Yes, I drive my daily, but even if I didn't I would still put the winter tires in if I ever planned on driving the car when it's under 40'.

He's the best example of why...

about 3 years ago, I had a boxster and didn't have winter tires on and I was still working in NYC, so I only really drove 3-5 miles a day to the bus stop. On a nice 20' day, I was coming down my driveway(which is on an incline) I went to slow down at the bottom to prevent scraping the front and kept moving down until I slipped off the driveway and cracked my front bumper. If that happend on the road, it would have been some real damage to my car and whoever I slid into.

I was only 20 feet from my front door, but $2200 later I wish I had spent $800 on winter tires( I had the whole front painted so it would match, Orient red was nice, but a pain to match).

Needless to say I bought winter tires for the rest of the winter going forward.

Cheers,
Corey...

P.S. If your in doubt, we can meet up maybe early December on a cold day and you can take a spin in my C2 with winter tires on.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:43 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
It only takes one slide (hopefully not into something or someone)on a rock-hard summer performace tire to make you wish you had bougt a set of winter tires. Please read up at:

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 11-18-2004, 10:05 AM
jol
jol is infamous around these parts
wheels for winter

I have a 03 C4S and was considering buying the Mille Miglia Cup 3 from TireRack. Do you need spacers for these wheels?

Old 11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally posted by neil.schneider
I am going to try to limit my driving to 100 to 150 miles a month during the winter season. I have a suv to use, and I even avoid rain when I can.
Why would you want to limit your driving in a 996? Put the winter tires on it and DRIVE!!!

Old 11-18-2004, 02:27 PM
bavarian is infamous around these parts
winter tires

I just bought a set of Blizzak LM25s from damon@tirerack for my'04 C4S. They are mounted on the Mille Miglias which look exactly like my factory wheels. There is a spacer (21mm) for the back as the tires are 265s. I will let you guys know how the install works out. I'm still puzzled by the fact that the spacer gets mounted to the hub with the stock bolts, and the wheel then gets attached to the spacer with lug nuts. I do trust Tirerack to give me the right combination for my car. Having gotten stuck last winter in both my 745Li and SL500 with summer tires this investment was an absolute must for me.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:33 AM
bavarian is infamous around these parts
follow up

I just finished the instal and it turned out fine. The spacers went on quite easily, although I now have black nuts on the rear wheels and aluminum ones up front. On dry pavement the Blizzaks feel smooth and quiet. I will have to wait for snow and ice before I can comment on their winter capabilities.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:50 PM
russbert is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

I bought the winter tire combo from Tirerack last year for my C4S and they are absolutely incredible in the snow! Those tires plus AWD is an awesome combination. Traction was excellent.

The only "complaint" that I have is when the temperatures get high (above 40), I notice that the PMS tends to kick in a lot more often during cornering than when I have my summer tires.

I assume this is due to the use of a spacer because I never have had the PMS engage when I driving on summer tires and I am much more aggessive in my cornering on those. Comments?

Old 11-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Red02996 is infamous around these parts
Neil,
Winter tires are a must if driving below 40' F even if it is dry out. Performance tires just get too hard and lose their grip easily. Forget it if there is snow or ice on the road. Summer tires in those conditions are downright irresponsible IMHO. I always put snows on all my cars including my wife's Audi Quattro. Other Audi owners always laugh at me and say that with their all seasons and quattro they pull out of any snow bank. The incremental improvement of snows under acceleration may actually not be gigantic but where they are irreplaceable is under braking. And this holds even more true if you are changing from performance tires. And yes, the Blizzak 25's are great tires for your Porsche.
Tirerack can say all this even better. See the article that Damon from tirerack posted.

Patrick