996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Starting problem????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Starting problem????

So I have been having problems with my starter for the last several weeks. Somtimes it will start fine, other times the starter clicks once, then nothing. So I have replaced the battery, the electrics for the ignition switch and now a new starter (actually I bought a used starter and had the same problem, so now I put in a brand new starter). Still the same problem, just clicks once, then nothing. For a while it would repeatedly click, but this was with the used starter, with the new just one click. Checked the connections, the engine ground strap, etc., noting appears loose. Everything else in the car works. If I push start the car it runs, then sometimes the starter will work once or twice, then just a click. The battery shows 12+ amps.

Any ideas?

Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Had to reinstall the gound strap to the engine, now it starts right up.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:20 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Sounded like an electrical prob. Glad you fixed it.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Harmony Jim is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dharn55
So I have been having problems with my starter for the last several weeks. Somtimes it will start fine, other times the starter clicks once, then nothing. So I have replaced the battery, the electrics for the ignition switch and now a new starter (actually I bought a used starter and had the same problem, so now I put in a brand new starter). Still the same problem, just clicks once, then nothing. For a while it would repeatedly click, but this was with the used starter, with the new just one click. Checked the connections, the engine ground strap, etc., noting appears loose. Everything else in the car works. If I push start the car it runs, then sometimes the starter will work once or twice, then just a click. The battery shows 12+ amps.

Any ideas?
Dharn55, my name is Jim (Harmony Jim) and I have followed your progress on the rebuild related to the intermix problem throughout the past many pages of threads. I noticed you made a great set of cam holders. Would you be willing to rent them for a short period of time? I would gladly pay you a deposit to hold until they were returned (2 required correct?). I can send them back FED EX so they will get back to you quickly, and I won't request them until I am ready to pull the engine/trans apart. I would only need them for a couple of days I would guess at most. If you are unwilling to rent them out, can I get some detailed drawings so that I could make a pair of them? Thanks so much for any assistance as I am about to embark on an LN Engr. IMS bearing retrofit, and the website/Charles says I need to lock the cams in position. I am in Calif, and I have a blue/beige 2000 C2 cab 6 speed (54K mi), with a factory replacement engine installed in 2004 (20K mi). I really appreciate any help and/or advise you may have as it appears you have done an amazing job with your project. Thanks in advance, Jim