996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need HELP! Currently Buying a 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:23 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Did you buy the car or not? Did you sign the purchase contract and pay the dealer? If so, you're probably hosed and this will be settled in court since the engine sounds like it's shot. What were the results of the PPI? I hope you didn't do the purchase.

Last edited by deckman; 09-21-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:17 PM
lakhoon is infamous around these parts
Thanks~

Originally Posted by oseik
Don't let your infatuation with the P-Car cloud your judgment. Do the right thing... return the car and move on. You'll find another.
Yes, I seem to have some of that~ I always wanted one, and almost had it! I am trying to run away from this deal...

Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks~

Originally Posted by deckman
Did you buy the car or not? Did you sign the purchase contract and pay the dealer? If so, you're probably hosed and this will be settled in court since the engine sounds like it's shot. What were the results of the PPI? I hope you didn't do the purchase.
Yes and no~ I did pay the dealer and signed the purchase contract, but after meeting the independent dealer, I think I can cancel the contract.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks~

Originally Posted by Microbomb
Did you already buy this car? If not I would walk away. The engine replacement is going to be between 12 and 15k . If they replace the engine at no charge then getting a 2004 with a brand new engine for 29k seems like a decent deal.
I'm walking away...

Old 09-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks~

Originally Posted by JoelPirela
walk away. please see the signs... you will thank me later.
I am trying to walk away...

Old 09-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks~

Originally Posted by Procera
I would walk. $29k with almost 70k on the clock is not what I would call a good deal even if it is an '04. If you get a new engine then that's another story.
I doubt that the owner will pay for a new engine. Even if he offers it, this deal has given me a sour taste and scare. We'll have to see if he is willing to pay for it.

If he does, then it's a good deal then?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 PM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
Any used car dealer that lets you walk or pays for the engine should be submitted for saint-hood.

Someone is going to end up holding a $15K bag whether it's you, the dealer, or the previous owner. Dealers sell used cars all day/every day, so they've learned the hard way from these situations how to not be the one holding the bag.

Let's hope you get lucky.

You might want to start googling for people in your same situation even if it's not a 996. I am sure this sort of thing happens a lot with all the used cars sold.

The sad thing is that the dealer probably did nothing wrong. Porsche designed a car that can blow an engine at any moment, and then they designed a business practice that assures it costs around $15k to fix. The dealer may not even know about the reputation of this car or that it's a $15K fix. When they find out about the $15K, they might start playing hard ball big time.

Here's an example of what you might find with google:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_d..._to_the_dealer

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_re...do_not_want_it

Good luck.

Last edited by PorschePRH; 09-21-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:48 AM
BDPorsche is infamous around these parts
Bad news...

Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM
BDPorsche is infamous around these parts
Now that I think about it. I had the same problem when I first purchased my 996. I went to the Dealership and bought a 1999 996 and after the first night the engine check light came on. After they looked at the car the next day, it had a major coolant and oil mixing problem and they had to replace the engine. Upset was an understatement, but the Dealership took car of me. I went down the next day and they gave me two options. Keep the vehicle with a complete engine replacement or pick another vehicle (similiar price) of off there lot. I decided to pick another vehicle (bad karma on the first one). I ended up getting a 2002 996. The best decision I have ever made

I do have to give my props to the Dealership for taking care of me. They were very nice to work with. This was roughly two years ago, but they were called Authaus West in Irvine, CA. I believe they changed there name....

Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 PM
996SilverBullet is infamous around these parts
I can't wait to hear the result of this saga. Consensus seems to be get your money back if you can. I agree.
Note to everyone out there considering buying a used Porsche (or any car for that matter); Do your home work, and get a mechanic to look at the car before you buy. This sounds pretty basic, but in reading this forum for 6 months, I've seen half a dozen such stories.....

Old 12-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by 996SilverBullet
I can't wait to hear the result of this saga. Consensus seems to be get your money back if you can. I agree.
Note to everyone out there considering buying a used Porsche (or any car for that matter); Do your home work, and get a mechanic to look at the car before you buy. This sounds pretty basic, but in reading this forum for 6 months, I've seen half a dozen such stories.....
Since you wanted to hear the results of this saga!

After I tried to return it, the independent dealer said that I had two choices.

1. Pay $3K and he'll take it off my hands
2. Pay 50% of the repair cost.

So, I was in a huge state of panic, shock, depression, anger, and regret stage.

I didn't want to pay $3K for a 24 hour mistake, so I ended up taking option 2.

I got lucky~ it didn't require an engine replacement. There were no metal particles in the oil filter, no IMS or RMS issues... The problem was the "Lifters". I found this place called UFOMotorsports. They are expert mechanics who focuses ONLY on Porsche's engine. They realized that there was money to be made, but a lot of the P-car engines were crapping out. Porsche service centers does not repair engines. All they do is give you a quote of $20K (the price did go up) for an engine replacement.

Final, I ended up paying on ~$1K (~$2K was the final cost) to replace 4 "Lifters", redo the RMS, and an oil change.

After that, there are no problems and the car runs just fine!

I DID GET LUCKY... I wanted to run away like everyone recommended, but I was already to deep in the quicksand.

BTW, UFOMotorsports sells completely refurbished engines for $6K-$7K. They take everything apart and put completely new updated OEM parts back together. I was going to pay for that, but they told me that the car didn't require a new engine, and that it was in great condition~ minus the lifters...

Old 12-28-2009, 11:18 PM
built4speed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lakhoon
Since you wanted to hear the results of this saga!

After I tried to return it, the independent dealer said that I had two choices.

1. Pay $3K and he'll take it off my hands
2. Pay 50% of the repair cost.

So, I was in a huge state of panic, shock, depression, anger, and regret stage.

I didn't want to pay $3K for a 24 hour mistake, so I ended up taking option 2.

I got lucky~ it didn't require an engine replacement. There were no metal particles in the oil filter, no IMS or RMS issues... The problem was the "Lifters". I found this place called UFOMotorsports. They are expert mechanics who focuses ONLY on Porsche's engine. They realized that there was money to be made, but a lot of the P-car engines were crapping out. Porsche service centers does not repair engines. All they do is give you a quote of $20K (the price did go up) for an engine replacement.

Final, I ended up paying on ~$1K (~$2K was the final cost) to replace 4 "Lifters", redo the RMS, and an oil change.

After that, there are no problems and the car runs just fine!

I DID GET LUCKY... I wanted to run away like everyone recommended, but I was already to deep in the quicksand.

BTW, UFOMotorsports sells completely refurbished engines for $6K-$7K. They take everything apart and put completely new updated OEM parts back together. I was going to pay for that, but they told me that the car didn't require a new engine, and that it was in great condition~ minus the lifters...
I'm happy to hear this happy ending to the nightmare it was shaping up to be. Good luck in the future and enjoy the car!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
Sounds like you wound up with the deal of the century. 68k miler for $30,000 with the engine completely checked out and the 60k service which is worth much more than the $1,000 paid on the lifters. Now that the air is clear, enjoy your new car.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:56 AM
15psi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lakhoon
... He plugged his computer in, and the error codes came out as the engine was misfiring. We didn't go any further, but the mechanic said when he lifted the car, exhaust manifold 4, 5, and 6 had oil that was seeping through. He said that if the valve in the engine was damaged, I would need to replace the engine. .....

Next, they did a compression test. They said that the read out resulted in a "LOW" compression. This is what I know up to now. On Monday, they are going to take off the manifold to check out the engine some more....

lakhoon
So what produced the LOW compression? (Intake valve not opening?)

And the oil seeping near exhaust manifold??

Talk about a thread that goes from disaster to a great outcome. Great Thread!! And we learned something about the lifters.

Last edited by 15psi; 12-29-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:14 PM
p944s1987 is infamous around these parts
nice outcome!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Need HELP! Currently Buying a 996