996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need HELP! Currently Buying a 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:41 PM
lakhoon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Goldduster
Sounds like you wound up with the deal of the century. 68k miler for $30,000 with the engine completely checked out and the 60k service which is worth much more than the $1,000 paid on the lifters. Now that the air is clear, enjoy your new car.
I'd like to think that it was a "deal of the century"!

Old 12-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by 15psi
So what produced the LOW compression? (Intake valve not opening?)
The lifters were not lifting. It was stuck and did not move. I am still not 100% sure what caused it and how it really works. If anybody knows, please feel free to explain! Thx!

And the oil seeping near exhaust manifold??
The mechanic said it was just dirty and that from the looks of it, the Porsche mechanic who did the 60K service didn't bother to seal that area correctly.

I have a friend that used to be a salesman for Porsche and Toyota, and he told me this. They just check the checkboxs on the form and not do the actual inspection. I took my Lexus in for service at the Toyota dealership (he still knew people there) and he told them to take care of me by saying "go through the checklist for real." I was like, what!? You don't do that for every car? He replied, "no, it's just an easy way to make money quickly. Sometimes, people who are mechanically savvy will know that it wasn't done and point it out, and the manager will just give him money to shut up."

Talk about a thread that goes from disaster to a great outcome. Great Thread!! And we learned something about the lifters.
I hope this thread does teach people to make sure that you do a COMPLETE PPI before you purchase the vehicle.

Last edited by lakhoon; 12-30-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
15psi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lakhoon
The lifters were not lifting. It was stuck and did not move. I am still not 100% sure what caused it and how it really works. If anybody knows, please feel free to explain! Thx!

The mechanic said it was just dirty and that from the looks of it, the Porsche mechanic who did the $60K service didn't bother to seal that area correctly.

I have a friend that used to be a salesman for Porsche and Toyota, and he told me this. They just check the checkboxs on the form and not do the actually inspection. I took my Lexus in for service at the Toyota dealership (he still knew people there) and he told them to take care of me by saying "go through the checklist for real." I was like, what!? You don't do that for every car? He replied, "no, it's just an easy way to make money quickly. Sometimes, people who are mechanically savvy will know that it wasn't done and point it out, and the manager will just give him money to shut up."

I hope this thread does teach people to make sure that you do a COMPLETE PPI before you purchase the vehicle.
Hopefully these engines will get a better reputation as we find that they are repairable and that the problems are not always terminal. I spoke to a former porsche mechanic and he said most of the engine replacement he saw could of been fixed in shop. Porsche replaced engines in order to get better "Customer Satisfaction scores". Now those past decisions haunt the engines.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
I'm CFO of a dealer group in Northern Cal with both Toyota and VW dealerships. I know if a Tech just "checks the boxes" without doing the work/inspection, all H@$# breaks loose in our stores and someone is soon gone. Of course, I have seen salespeople trying to impress their friends by personally taking care of them and I'm sure you can find an unscrupulous dealership somewhere in the US, but they are not as common as everyone thinks. I do know that we wouldn't put up with that type of garbage.

Thank you for letting me vent!!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Goldduster
I'm CFO of a dealer group in Northern Cal with both Toyota and VW dealerships. I know if a Tech just "checks the boxes" without doing the work/inspection, all H@$# breaks loose in our stores and someone is soon gone. Of course, I have seen salespeople trying to impress their friends by personally taking care of them and I'm sure you can find an unscrupulous dealership somewhere in the US, but they are not as common as everyone thinks. I do know that we wouldn't put up with that type of garbage.

Thank you for letting me vent!!
No problem! I'm not saying that all dealership are the same. There are those that do that, and those who doesn't. I've been burned a couple of times of before so I have a sour taste when it comes to dealership service.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by 15psi
Hopefully these engines will get a better reputation as we find that they are repairable and that the problems are not always terminal. I spoke to a former porsche mechanic and he said most of the engine replacement he saw could of been fixed in shop. Porsche replaced engines in order to get better "Customer Satisfaction scores". Now those past decisions haunt the engines.
Porsche needs to do something soon or they should have done it already... There is a lot of 996 engines that are failing too often. I'm sure there was some time of petition to Porsche about this problem and suggesting a major recall for the IMS and RMS issues. I hope someone is listening at Porsche.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:45 PM
jsc1m3 is infamous around these parts
The engine sounds fine, There is updated variocam solenoids available. It's a pretty easy fix, the misfiring comes from when the solenoid sticks one way usually on the high lift setting causing the cam timing to be off on the bank with solenoid failure. I am a Porsche tech and if you have anymore quuestions feel free to PM me

Old 01-03-2010, 03:51 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
sounds good...hope you are satisfied...

Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
M3Armand is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lakhoon
Since you wanted to hear the results of this saga!

...I didn't want to pay $3K for a 24 hour mistake, so I ended up taking option 2.

I got lucky~ ...

Final, I ended up paying on ~$1K (~$2K was the final cost) to replace 4 "Lifters", redo the RMS, and an oil change..
Some states have a "3 day" return rule. Did you check your state?

Lastly, you DID get lucky... maybe time for you to also buy a lottery ticket! Congrats on things working out!