996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need HELP! Currently Buying a 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 02:45 AM
lakhoon is infamous around these parts
Question Need HELP! Currently Buying a 996

A very long story, but I found a great deal for a 2004 996 for $29K. Has 68K miles and the previous owner had done all of the maintenance at a Porsche dealer including the 60K major maintenance at 64,000 miles.

Now here's the problem...

I picked up the car on Tuesday (lunch time) last week. I drove it work and then lunch. At the end of the day, stopped by a grocery store to pick something up and went home. Didn't start the car until the next morning, drove to work, and when I was in the parking lot, the CHECK ENGINE light came on. (I was so PISSED!) The engine sounded horrible, and the car was vibrating!

I called the independent dealer and he told me to bring it over. He sent to to his trusted mechanic. The drive over was scary, because I didn't feel the power of the engine, and it felt like it was going to stall. As soon as I was pulling up to the mechanic (he was expecting me) he noticed right away that the car wasn't running on 6 cylinders. He plugged his computer in, and the error codes came out as the engine was misfiring. We didn't go any further, but the mechanic said when he lifted the car, exhaust manifold 4, 5, and 6 had oil that was seeping through. He said that if the valve in the engine was damaged, I would need to replace the engine. So, here I am, having own the car for less than 24 hours, and this thing happened.

I called the dealer and he said that he'll take the car to another mechanic and pay to find out the root of the problem. The next day, I went to the mechanic to see for myself when they were doing the inpection.

First thing they did was take out the oil filter. They said that if there were metal pieces in the filter, that would be the kiss of death. There were no metal pieces. He literally tore apart the filter to check each crevice. The mechanic said that it was one the few 996 he'd seen with a clean filter. (*Note: The last oil change wsa about 4K ago).

Next, they did a compression test. They said that the read out resulted in a "LOW" compression. This is what I know up to now. On Monday, they are going to take off the manifold to check out the engine some more.

We'll see what the results are on Monday.

I guess the question is, "Should I just walk away?" I really like and want this Porsche, but if it will require a engine replacement later (say less than 10K miles), that's something that I don't want to deal with. IF on Monday, they say that it is a minor fix, and that the engine is still strong, I will be torned whether to walk away or to continue to purchase the car.

What kinds of things should I be looking out for to justify keeping the car? What additional signs should I keep in mine to properly "walk away"?

Sorry for the long winded explanation of what happened... Appreciate any comments!!

lakhoon

Old 09-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Microbomb is infamous around these parts
Did you already buy this car? If not I would walk away. The engine replacement is going to be between 12 and 15k . If they replace the engine at no charge then getting a 2004 with a brand new engine for 29k seems like a decent deal.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:16 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Maybe that is why it is selling for $29k?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:42 PM
geestyleed is infamous around these parts
I am sure that such damage was existent before you bought it. And the damage might be already known by the former owner - so the damage was perhaps fraudulent discreeted. This would explain the price.
The problem is that it is diffcult to prove that.

In Germany you can resign from the contract, if the damage is fraudulent discreeted. I dont know how it in the US and A

If you have not bought the car I would step away! There are a lot other nice 996 Facelift below/around 30.000 Dollar with about 55-65k miles.
If you put a replacement engine in the car the total cost raises to far over 40.000 Dollar and for the price you get much better cars.

In your case I would look for a 911 with a warranty - even it is just a short warranty, you can get the car checked by a porsche professional and get everything fixed by the warranty.

Last edited by geestyleed; 09-20-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:00 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
walk away. please see the signs... you will thank me later.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:14 PM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
unless it's one of those dealers that lets you take a car over night to try it out, he bought it. i would not think any dealer would do that with a 6 year old 911. and it was probably sold as-is.

let us know the truth...

Old 09-20-2009, 11:51 PM
blitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to behold
if you can get out of it, get out of this purchase. i had something similar happen to me recently in the last year. luckily, the dealer had a return guarantee and all i lost was the cost of shipping. a few weeks later, i found a similar car (color, milages, and year) for a better price.

however, it might be hard for you to get out of this purchase. hopefully they are good people and will do the honorable thing.

good luck.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:19 AM
Procera is infamous around these parts
I would walk. $29k with almost 70k on the clock is not what I would call a good deal even if it is an '04. If you get a new engine then that's another story.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:29 AM
lakhoon is infamous around these parts
Thanks~

Thanks for all the reply... I'm leaning towards walking away and hope that the owner and the dealer will do the honorable thing.

As to the purchase of the car, the independent dealer has the paperwork and has yet submitted to the DMV. So in essence, I still don't own the car... Hopefully he'll see it that way as well.

Technically, they could have blown me off and said it was my problem, but they are paying for thorough inspection as well as (hopefully) fixing the problem. If it was just a minor problem, you think that it's ok?

FINALLY! If anyone knows where I can get a 996 or 997 for $30K or under, please let me know!

Thanks,
lakhoon

Old 09-21-2009, 05:14 AM
geestyleed is infamous around these parts
Hey man I have the same problem to find a good 2002+ under 30.000 Dollar. Your area ist full of nice cars (Californien). In South Carolina it is getting more difficult, cause I cannot travel to other state ( no time).

Just have a look at:
cars.com
autotrader.com

(That is where I am looking)

Old 09-21-2009, 06:20 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
If you paid with a check - stop payment. If you took out a loan, tell the bank the problem and get it cancelled. Just because they didn't send in the paperwork doesn't mean it isn't your car. If you signed and PAID, you are on the hook.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Like everyone has said, walk and walk now if you can.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:26 PM
L8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to all
I wouldn't walk away from the car..........I would RUN!!!!

It seriously does sound like paperwork wise that you are already the owner. The only way you will get out of this car is if the owner is willing to take the car back. I highly doubt that as then he will have to shell out 12-15k. Do everything you can to stop payment as mentioned and I would call the DMV for advice as well.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM
oseik is infamous around these parts
Don't let your infatuation with the P-Car cloud your judgment. Do the right thing... return the car and move on. You'll find another.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 PM
mwh27 is infamous around these parts
Get your refund!

Smartest idea is to get your money back from the dealer, let him replace the engine, then test drive it and THEN buy it once it's fixed.

Otherwise you're taking a big risk in my personal opinion!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Need HELP! Currently Buying a 996