996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My 99 C2 VF supercharged dyno #'s are in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned
brandongt3 is infamous around these parts
I'm going to change my plugs, spark plug boots(that were all cracked), and put new 02 sensors in there and see what happens then on the dyno. I found out why the dyno couldn't get boost pressure, they tapped into the bypass valve line(which has a check valve) so thats not the place to do it. Well have to tap into the manifold and get the boost reading there. I'll report back next tuesday with the new #'s and graphs

VF told me to hold off on ordering a new MAF(since theres no check engine light code)

Last edited by brandongt3; 10-02-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:02 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by brandongt3
I'm going to change my plugs, spark plug boots(that were all cracked), and put new 02 sensors in there and see what happens then on the dyno. I found out why the dyno couldn't get boost pressure, they tapped into the bypass valve line(which has a check valve) so thats not the place to do it. Well have to tap into the manifold and get the boost reading there. I'll report back next tuesday with the new #'s and graphs

VF told me to hold off on ordering a new MAF(since theres no check engine light code)

Why new O2 sensors or coils if you don't know they are causing a problem? Most coil packs are cracked on the surface but cause no problems. If you just want to spend moeny, get yourself a good scan tool and see what your engine is doing. Don't act like a Porsche Technician and just start replacing parts to see what works.

You can simply put a T fitting on the vacuum line coming off the back of the throttlebody to measure vacuum/boost.

As for plugs, go 1 range cooler.

I sure wouldn't trust the guy you went to do do the dyno test again,. Any have brain dead person would know immediately when he got no vacuum on the gauge that he connected it wrong.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 10-02-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Why new O2 sensors or coils if you don't know they are causing a problem? Most coil packs are cracked on the surface but cause no problems. If you just want to spend moeny, get yourself a good scan tool and see what your engine is doing. Don't act like a Porsche Technician and just start replacing parts to see what works.

You can simply put a T fitting on the vacuum line coming off the back of the throttlebody to measure vacuum/boost.

As for plugs, go 1 range cooler.
Thanks for the advice! I got the ngk 6097 iridiums(1 step colder) and the new spark plug coil BOOTS(11.00 each-im not replacing the whole coil) because mine boots on there were completely cracked and shot. I'm sure that was robbing quite a bit of power.

As for the 02 sensors, they've never been changed and with my car having just turned 70k miles, its time to change those anyway. When I get it back on the dyno on tuesday and hook up the boost right to monitor it, then I'll be able to come back on here and report back to you on how the car is doing with a USEFUL graph I can post up

I know it SEEMS like this is a stupid tuner, but I promise you hes not. Hes just never dyno'd a porsche before and thought you could tap the boost line into the bypass valve. My supra he tuned is one of the top supra's in the country for making power, and he created that entire map on my AEM EMS to put down 1140rwhp. I trust him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for his 1 mistake on a car hes never worked on before.

Last edited by brandongt3; 10-02-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:39 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by brandongt3
Thanks for the advice! I got the ngk 6097 iridiums(1 step colder) and the new spark plug coil BOOTS(11.00 each-im not replacing the whole coil) because mine boots on there were completely cracked and shot. I'm sure that was robbing quite a bit of power.

As for the 02 sensors, they've never been changed and with my car having just turned 70k miles, its time to change those anyway. When I get it back on the dyno on tuesday and hook up the boost right to monitor it, then I'll be able to come back on here and report back to you on how the car is doing with a USEFUL graph I can post up

I know it SEEMS like this is a stupid tuner, but I promise you hes not. Hes just never dyno'd a porsche before and thought you could tap the boost line into the bypass valve. My supra he tuned is one of the top supra's in the country for making power, and he created that entire map on my AEM EMS to put down 1140rwhp. I trust him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for his 1 mistake on a car hes never worked on before.
Chances of your O2 sensors being bad are pretty small. They have absolutely no effect on power at WOT anyway. My 99 C2 has more than 70,000 miles and has been boosted for almost 50,000 miles and has the orginal MAF and O2 sensors,

Old 10-02-2009, 01:21 PM
92tsiawd is infamous around these parts
Why guess at what the problem is? Post your dyno along with fuel ratio

Old 10-02-2009, 01:51 PM
reewrd is infamous around these parts
i don't have any experience with power adders on porsche motors, but i did a lot with turbos and superchargers back in the day on v8s. from that experience i think, on the surface, your numbers doesn't sound too far off.

your car makes 296 flywheel stock, right? so it probably puts 250 to the wheels (85% cf). back in the day we'd figure about 15rw per pound of boost, so with 6psi, you're adding 90rw, and should be somewhere around 340rw with the blower.

since these are small motors, with such low amounts of boost, losing any boost at these minuscule levels makes a real difference. it's not like you're playing with 30psi, and you won't really notice if the car makes 29 or 31.

that's my 2 cents...

Old 10-02-2009, 04:34 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by reewrd
i don't have any experience with power adders on porsche motors, but i did a lot with turbos and superchargers back in the day on v8s. from that experience i think, on the surface, your numbers doesn't sound too far off.

your car makes 296 flywheel stock, right? so it probably puts 250 to the wheels (85% cf). back in the day we'd figure about 15rw per pound of boost, so with 6psi, you're adding 90rw, and should be somewhere around 340rw with the blower.

since these are small motors, with such low amounts of boost, losing any boost at these minuscule levels makes a real difference. it's not like you're playing with 30psi, and you won't really notice if the car makes 29 or 31.

that's my 2 cents...
I have to agree...I have been to a few forums and found that 10-15 RWHP/boost seems average!
Although my car is a 997 S(3.8) and drives FANTASTIC....and I do love the little bit of extra power!
BUT what chaps my a$$ is when you see HUGE numbers from other people with the same car with 90-100 MORE RWHP than you....makes you start thinking THAT there is something wrong with your car...
I dropped close to $1,000 on a dyno/mechanic trying to find out WHY I was only making 4 PSI of boost from the point where I was measuring(right behind the throttle body),thinking I had a boost leak......!

I am making 13.5 RWHP /boost(I do have the boost at 5.9 PSI now)......and for a winter project this year......water/meth injection...NOW let's see what will happen!
I want 420 RWHP measured by my Gtech....... even IF I have to blow this thing up,LOL......!!!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 10-02-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Ubermensch is infamous around these parts
1999 is giving you solid advice throughout this thread. Get the boost gauge setup properly, do a run and then post the dyno and people can try to help you. Withough knowing what the boost pressure and A/F is it's pretty tough to help.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by justatoy
I have to agree...I have been to a few forums and found that 10-15 RWHP/boost seems average!
Although my car is a 997 S(3.8) and drives FANTASTIC....and I do love the little bit of extra power!
BUT what chaps my a$$ is when you see HUGE numbers from other people with the same car with 90-100 MORE RWHP than you....makes you start thinking THAT there is something wrong with your car...
I dropped close to $1,000 on a dyno/mechanic trying to find out WHY I was only making 4 PSI of boost from the point where I was measuring(right behind the throttle body),thinking I had a boost leak......!

I am making 13.5 RWHP /boost(I do have the boost at 5.9 PSI now)......and for a winter project this year......water/meth injection...NOW let's see what will happen!
I want 420 RWHP measured by my Gtech....... even IF I have to blow this thing up,LOL......!!!

Was your problem belt slip or pulley size?

Old 10-03-2009, 03:06 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Was your problem belt slip or pulley size?
I think they possibly measure the boost in a different spot than I do(or at least I think they do)......I now am running a peak of 5.9 PSI with a smaller pulley measured right behind the throttle body(engine side)!
And that IS a very brief moment at that PSI but what I am doing by going to the smaller pulley IS adding to the mid range and fun of driving this car!
The car always has been fast BUT today WAS the first day it REALLY felt quick.....FINALLY...now I only need to get another 20-30 peak RWHP to be at my goal!

Stacy

PS I managed to run some 103 octane fuel today with all of my data logging equipment and made 382(backed out a bit early on this one),390,399 and a 403 peak RWHP(measured with my Gtech on the same stretch of road with back-to-back runs,maybe 3 or so min. between the runs).

Last edited by justatoy; 10-03-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by justatoy
I think they possibly measure the boost in a different spot than I do(or at least I think they do)......I now am running a peak of 5.9 PSI with a smaller pulley measured right behind the throttle body(engine side)!
And that IS a very brief moment at that PSI but what I am doing by going to the smaller pulley IS adding to the mid range and fun of driving this car!
The car always has been fast BUT today WAS the first day it REALLY felt quick.....FINALLY...now I only need to get another 20-30 peak RWHP to be at my goal!

Stacy

PS I managed to run some 103 octane fuel today with all of my data logging equipment and made 382(backed out a bit early on this one),390,399 and a 403 peak RWHP(measured with my Gtech on the same stretch of road with back-to-back runs,maybe 3 or so min. between the runs).
cool, be careful with it, i don't know if the stock 997s internals are meant to hold 450-500hp - i'd imagine the rods / pistons are a weak point - that would be one very painful repair bill. it's better to give up 15 or 20rw, than hurt the motor, just something to think about.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:02 PM
cool, be careful with it, i don't know if the stock 997s internals are meant to hold 450-500hp - i'd imagine the rods / pistons are a weak point - that would be one very painful repair bill. it's better to give up 15 or 20rw, than hurt the motor, just something to think about.
Agreed....which is why after I install the water/meth injection...I may be at the end of the road for this power quest.
We will see........

Stacy

Old 10-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned
re-dynoing tomorrow(wednesday) I'll post the results tomorrow!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
what make these SC p-cars fast is the weight factor.... you easily got 150-200lbs over the TT's.... dyno's doesnt paint the bigger picture of things.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Banned
*UPDATE*-dyno is postponed until I can find the right spark plug!

I cant seem to find the right spark plug for my car with this supercharger. I need 1 step colder than factory, but the problem is ANY spark plug I'm putting in besides the Bosch 4 ground electrode plug is misfiring. I tried NGK BRK7E Iridiums, NGK BRK7E Coppers, and both misfire horribly.

The car ran good on the Bosch plugs that were in there(standard heat range) but I'm unable to find a bosch plug for this car thats 1 step colder. I can't find any part numbers for them and either can any of the shop's I'm calling. These bosch's I have in there now look very old and used and I know they need to be changed. The part # of the current plugs I have now are FGR6kQC....which is a standard heat range.

Anybody have any information for me on how I can find a BOSCH plug that is 1 step colder that features the 4 ground electrode?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My 99 C2 VF supercharged dyno #'s are in