996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My 99 C2 VF supercharged dyno #'s are in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned
brandongt3 is infamous around these parts
My 99 C2 VF supercharged dyno #'s are in

I have a 99 C2 with a VF supercharger kit on it running supposively 6lbs of boost.

So.....I must say I'm a TAD disappointed with the #'s the car put down. I was really expecting 370-380rwhp on a dynojet but the car ended up making 333rwhp(SAE corrected) I also was unable to get ANY kind of boost reading on the dyno(so I'm not sure if its getting 6lbs or not) when we tapped the line into the blow off bypass valve line....which is weird to me considering the car did show vacuum. My car also has fabspeed headers and high flow cats on it.

The kit was installed in 2004, I'm not sure if maybe I need a recent ECU upgrade from VF? I've read some of these other guys on here making almost near 400rwhp...seems a little extreme for me but maybe that's what my car should be making?

I'm going to put in some new iridium plugs that are 1 step colder than factory due to the supercharger, and new spark plug boots as my boots on the coils are severely cracked(but its not causing the engine to miss as of yet)

Anything else you guys can think of?

Last edited by brandongt3; 10-01-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:47 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brandongt3
I have a 99 C2 with a VF supercharger kit on it running 6lbs of boost.

So.....I must say I'm a TAD disappointed with the #'s the car put down. I was really expecting 370-380rwhp on a dynojet but the car ended up making 333rwhp(SAE corrected) I also was unable to get ANY kind of boost reading on the dyno when we tapped the line into the blow off bypass valve line....which is weird to me. My car also has fabspeed headers and high flow cats on it.

My tuner didnt even know if the supercharger was working due to being unable to get a boost reading, but it must be if the car is making 333rwhp? I know these cars wouldnt make anything near that without the supercharger.

The kit was installed in 2004, I'm not sure if maybe I need a recent ECU upgrade from VF? I've read some of these other guys on here making almost near 400rwhp...seems a little extreme for me but maybe that's what my car should be making?

I'm going to put in some new iridium plugs that are 1 step colder than factory due to the supercharger, and new spark plug boots as my boots on the coils are severely cracked(but its not causing the engine to miss as of yet)

Anything else you guys can think of?

What is the claimed HP stock of your car?

My dyno's have been disappointing here too!
It is amazing how the dyno's vary SOOO much and the only true way is to do before and after dyno runs same dyno same conditions.And I am sure even then there will be variances!
I have tried all 3 dynos......2-Mustangs,Dynapack and a Dynojet.

With 5.9 psi and depending what dyno.....I am making anywhere from 360-390 RWHP and I too was expecting more!
I have been doing a ton of reading and making 10-15 RWHP/PSI of boost isn't so uncommon(this is not based from a Porsche site)!

So I am wondering,like you,how in the h$#ll are people posting these HUGE #'s...?
I also came home that night from the dyno's and changed my plugs,LOL!!!

My BEST measurement for years HAS been my G-tech for measuring this stuff so after the dyno's I put it in a ripped around.....and it shows 366RWHP.

So my advice is forget about the dyno's and go and get a G-tech and find yourself a flat road somewhere and BASE all of your mods form it!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 10-01-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by justatoy
What is the claimed HP stock of your car?

My dyno's have been disappointing here too!
It is amazing how the dyno's vary SOOO much and the only true way is to do before and after dyno runs same dyno same conditions.And I am sure even then there will be variances!

With 5.9 psi and depending what dyno.....I am making anywhere from 360-390 RWHP and I too was expecting more!
I have been doing a ton of reading and making 10-15 RWHP/PSI of boost isn't so uncommon(this is not based from a Porsche site)!

So I am wondering,like you,how in the h$#ll are people posting these HUGE #'s...?
I also came home that night from the dyno's and changed my plugs,LOL!!!

My BEST measurement for years HAS been my G-tech for measuring this stuff so after the dyno's I put it in a ripped around.....and it shows 366RWHP.

So my advice is forget about the dyno's and go and get a G-tech and find yourself a flat road somewhere and BASE all of your mods form it!

Stacy
Yeah who knows...I sure hope these people posting #'s of 400rwhp and above are actually getting them from a REAL DYNO instead of something like a GTECH lol.....That would explain it...

To me, if I disregarded what other people were saying they're making for power, 333rwhp seems alright due to the car probably puts down around 250rwhp from the factory, which would be a 83rwhp gain over factory. But if some of these people are making 400+rwhp, something is obviously wrong with my set up then considering im almost 80rwhp lower than that!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:02 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Yeah who knows...I sure hope these people posting #'s of 400rwhp and above are actually getting them from a REAL DYNO instead of something like a GTECH lol.....That would explain it...

To me, if I disregarded what other people were saying they're making for power, 333rwhp seems alright due to the car probably puts down around 250rwhp from the factory, which would be a 83rwhp gain over factory. But if some of these people are making 400+rwhp, something is obviously wrong with my set up then considering im almost 80rwhp lower than that!
For real the Gtech HAS worked and is right in the middle of my dyno numbers...plus it is very consistent!
I have done probably 20 pulls last week and they were all within' a few hp except for one......and boy did I like that #...but ruled it out!
I have used it for years but thought for a change I will go to a dyno for some paper work.....

Old 10-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
friends 996 C4S about 340 Wheel HP

Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
You're numbers are not that far off from what they should be for a 99 C2. The stock SC setup delivers close to 360 rwhp and 280 rwt. As Stacy mentioned, dynos vary greatly. It is common to find 10%+ difference in dyno results for various reasons, such as climate conditions, operator error and/or car condition.

I would suggest that your SC is running as designed, so enjoy it.

Most, if not all of these claims of rwhp at 450+ are nothing more than exaggerations.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:14 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
my car puts down 60-70 all wheel hp gains over stock on a maha dyno at 3.8psi

Old 10-02-2009, 08:25 AM
scubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to beholdscubaguy is a splendid one to behold
I would like to hear from the VF. Please help us, I'm on the fence as to purchasing one of these units. We all know that you guys read these forums.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
i nerver dynoed my car. i need to do so!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
It should make more than that... especially at 6psi on a dynojet. Ever replace your MAF?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
It should make more than that... especially at 6psi on a dynojet. Ever replace your MAF?
No I havn't....is there a need to if the check engine light isnt on?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
No I havn't....is there a need to if the check engine light isnt on?

Unless you have data logged your timing, air flow and a/f ratio while dynoing, you have wasted your time if you're looking to diagnose a possible problem. Any dyno shop that does not do this automatically for you, is even more of a waste than those who do.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Unless you have data logged your timing, air flow and a/f ratio while dynoing, you have wasted your time if you're looking to diagnose a possible problem. Any dyno shop that does not do this automatically for you, is even more of a waste than those who do.

My thoughts as well. Post up your dyno sheet... i am sure we could give you somewhere to look.

Casey

Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
My thoughts as well. Post up your dyno sheet... i am sure we could give you somewhere to look.

Casey
well thats the problem considering the dyno couldnt monitor boost at all.....we tapped into the vacuum line for the blow off valve and there was nothing coming up showing boost. So thats the first problem.

This shop, Beyond Redline, is very very good, they tuned my supra which put down 1140rwhp, I know my porsche is in good hands. However I sure would like to find out why we cant get a boost reading?? Air fuels were at a very rich 10's on idle but went to 11.2-11.4 WOT....

Old 10-02-2009, 09:14 AM
well thats the problem considering the dyno couldnt monitor boost at all.....we tapped into the vacuum line for the blow off valve and there was nothing coming up showing boost. So thats the first problem.

This shop, Beyond Redline, is very very good, they tuned my supra which put down 1140rwhp, I know my porsche is in good hands. However I sure would like to find out why we cant get a boost reading?? Air fuels were at a very rich 10's on idle but went to 11.2-11.4 WOT....

You would have vacuum and not boost at idle. If you have no vacuum at that location, I suspect you connected the gauge wrong or the gauge is not working. Even if you had no SC on your car, your would record boost from the intake at WOT at certain locations in the power curve.

Your rich a/f ratio at redline would decrease power. You were probably backfiring out your exhaust with that rich of a mixture.

I would go back and have them do it right, for free since they obviously did not know what they were doing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My 99 C2 VF supercharged dyno #'s are in