996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

To Paint or not to paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:47 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RED05CS
Respray and get a 3M so it doesn't happen again.
Agree with that!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by RED05CS
Respray and get a 3M so it doesn't happen again.
Agree with this. Do a respray and I believe there is an invisible bra for our cars that can be used to protect the front end from chips.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 PM
JJShaffer is infamous around these parts
I have seen them, I have heard from some that it is not wise to apply them over a respray because if (when) they are removed, they may lift the paint. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? Otherwise, I think its a great idea.

BTW: I just picked up a "Taco" rear spoiler that I need painted now as well. Next step Ignition Switch and Wheels!!!

Paying for nice things takes a trip or two to the desert; a trip or two to the desert eliminates a lot of the time I could be playing with the nice things.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:14 PM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
Just had mine re-sprayed after 10 years of rocks, shopping carts, and random 3rd party parking lot injuries - looks so much better now. Someone stopped me the other day to ask what year it was and was shocked to hear it's halfway to becoming a classic car!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:01 PM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
Mine is a mess with chips...Im respraying the hood and bumper...they both are chiped up...i have documented with photos

Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 PM
johnnyreb2010 is infamous around these parts
true, true, true

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I faced the same decision, and I have decided to get mine resprayed. The market for the 996 has dropped considerably already, and I don't think a resprayed bumper will make much difference. This is especially true if you document the reasons for it to demonstrate to a prospective buyer.
dennis your so right, last 2 years these cars have dropped 50% from what you paid for them, i've had mine painted on a couple of places, tried gettin a couple of scratches out, it wasn't quite as easy as it showed on ebay, why do you subject your car to that kind of weather?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 PM
robf is infamous around these parts
I have same issue. My clear coat has a lot of dings. Think I'll have it touched up.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
dennis your so right, last 2 years these cars have dropped 50% from what you paid for them, i've had mine painted on a couple of places, tried gettin a couple of scratches out, it wasn't quite as easy as it showed on ebay, why do you subject your car to that kind of weather?
I bought it to drive, rain or shine. It's not a garage queen.

That being said, we have recently moved to the mountains, and I'll be buying a truck of some sort for the winter months, so the C4S will get a little relief.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:23 AM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
go for it....i did a repaint after a gt3 bumper upgrade...so i repainted the front end....LOVING IT...no more rock chips on fenders or hood or bumper.....

Old 10-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Anyone that has held the same car for a few years knows the trouble with rock chips on the front bumper and wouldn't think twice if you told a potential buyer that you "refreshed" the paint because of chips. Anyone can see if there was more damage repaired than just the bumper cover.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Ersel is infamous around these parts
Doesn't it make sense to repaint the hood at the same time? Jeez my hood is worse than my bumper.
Anyone get quotes or know the cost for both?

Old 10-10-2010, 10:03 PM
ericyingling is infamous around these parts
Not sure if I am repeating anyone yet, but I think this question would be more appropriate if we were talking about a rare and or classic Porsche. For a modern, mass produced model, I would simply get a top quality respray and call it a day.

Good luck! And you should post before and after pics for us.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
On a 99 996 C2 I would dare to say that a quality paint job with help you with the sale of that vehicle. Paint it and enjoy it.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
FYI - I just had my hood and fenders touched up for $100. They came out, and smeared a wax/paint combination on it, let it dry and wiped it off, about two hours work. It took care of all the chips other than a couple of the large ones. I am delighted and now waiting to see how it holds up, but at this price I can have it done annually.

Oh yes, don't know if it makes a difference, but mine is Atlas Grey and my friend had his black one done at the same time, both look great, don't know if light colors would make a difference.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:53 AM
ericyingling is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Goldduster
FYI - I just had my hood and fenders touched up for $100. They came out, and smeared a wax/paint combination on it, let it dry and wiped it off, about two hours work. It took care of all the chips other than a couple of the large ones. I am delighted and now waiting to see how it holds up, but at this price I can have it done annually.

Oh yes, don't know if it makes a difference, but mine is Atlas Grey and my friend had his black one done at the same time, both look great, don't know if light colors would make a difference.

Is this too good to be true? Sounds awesome. Pics? Who did this for you?
I have a black 996 like your friend. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To Paint or not to paint