996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

To Paint or not to paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:07 AM
JJShaffer is infamous around these parts
To Paint or not to paint

Gents

I am facing a difficult decision on whether or not to repaint my factory front bumper cover. It currently is riddled with rock chips and could use a refresh. This is my first porsche and I am unsure of the effect a respray has on the value of the car. I am looking for some critical advice. Now to further paint the picture, the car is a 1999 C2 NB no aerokit guards red with 76,000 miles.

Will its value be affected? Or, should I just leave it alone and drive it?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
are you keeping it for now or getting ready to sell it? I would paint it if I was to keep it.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
personally i would re-paint it, i would document the reason why its being re-painted with pictures and a note/letter from the body shop confirming no damage other than stone chips

i think if you were to sell it people would be concerned if body panels had been re-painted but if you explain it was just because of stone chips and you have pictures and a letter from the body shop to prove it then you'll be fine

Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 AM
John L is infamous around these parts
If I was in the market for one of these cars now, and I was considering one that looked great, but the nose had been resprayed (not with a rattle can but a proper respray) and one that was identical but the nose was all chipped up and looking ratty, I'd go for the respray because I'd just end up doing it myself later anyway. I don't think it'll hurt resale one bit, on the contrary, it mat even add some percieved value and you'll enjoy the remainder of the cars time with you that much more.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I faced the same decision, and I have decided to get mine resprayed. The market for the 996 has dropped considerably already, and I don't think a resprayed bumper will make much difference. This is especially true if you document the reasons for it to demonstrate to a prospective buyer.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I really appreciate you guys chiming in and helping me out with this decision. I do not plan on getting rid of her anytime in the near future, but I am military and last minute moves are not that uncommon. I think I will start hunting down estimates and see where that takes me. I will photograph and document well to ensure that it does not appear that I am hiding anything.

Thanks again,

Shaf

Old 11-03-2009, 06:24 PM
996Jammy is infamous around these parts
I've been quoted anywhere $600+ from credible shops to strip down factory paint and respray. Planning to get mine done along with some minor bodywork. I'm considering selling the car so will probably hold off on work till after winter.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
It will have no effect on the value whatsoever. We do not drive $80,000 Porsche's, we drive $20-30K versions. A painted bumper just won't matter.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 PM
ClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura aboutClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura about
If I were buying, I would rather have a spotless repainted bumper than one all chipped.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by deckman
It will have no effect on the value whatsoever. We do not drive $80,000 Porsche's, we drive $20-30K versions. A painted bumper just won't matter.
Very true!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 PM
JoeyM is infamous around these parts
even in the ferrari world, resprayed front bumpers are common and are usually a good thing.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 PM
fotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JJShaffer
Very true!
2nd that. May even drive the value up a bit as it will look nice and clean...

Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 AM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
re-spray....

or if it bothers you that much...buy a new bumper and keep the old to re-install if you want to sell the car down the road as "all original"

Old 11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
porsche-t is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deckman
a '99 C2 has no value.......(just kidding!)

Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM
RED05CS is infamous around these parts
Respray and get a 3M so it doesn't happen again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To Paint or not to paint