996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How do I get a spare key?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:06 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
How do I get a spare key?

Can this be done only at the dealer? Can it be done anywhere? What is needed just the vin. # or is the car needed to be present?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:48 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
it has to be programed through the dealer, you can buy the laser cut key, and the mechanism on ebay here is the link for the blade:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNCUT...#ht_1329wt_941

And for the remote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...#ht_500wt_1182

good luck!!!!!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 06:36 PM
JJShaffer is infamous around these parts
My key only has one button, is there an option I am missing? Or maybe I am supposed to have two and my current key is a replacement?!? Anyone got any ideas

1999 996 NB

Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 PM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
I have only button also

Originally Posted by JJShaffer
My key only has one button, is there an option I am missing? Or maybe I am supposed to have two and my current key is a replacement?!? Anyone got any ideas

1999 996 NB
I have a 2000 cab. my remote is 1 button also.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Early models only had one button for the doors. When Porsche added eelectrics to open the hood and engine compartment they added a button to the keys for the hood. I think you can use a two button on an older car, a couple of years ago lots of owners were upgrading to the "GT" key as seen here

http://www.e-partssales.com/miva/mer...ory_Code=gtint

This is only the head. Be careful if you buy one on Ebay as you must have the code information which comes on a little tag. Without this the dealer won't be able to program the key, and some dealers will not program a key if you don't buy it from them.

When I bought my car in 2000, with 4,000 miles on it from the original selling dealer, it only came with one key. As part of the sale they agreed to provide another key. AT that time I actually had to give them a copy fo my registration, which they had to provide to Porsche to get the ifo to program a key. I don't think this is required anymore.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
PyroKerry has a spectacular aura aboutPyroKerry has a spectacular aura about
It's possible to find an independent garage that can program the key (we have one in my town) but it's not common. They are worth looking for as it's much cheaper.