996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Decided to skip the orange cap and modify the airbox....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:04 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
Decided to skip the orange cap and modify the airbox....

In the process of putting the orange cap in I got curious and took the airbox apart. Wow that internal muffler is hugh!!!

So I searched around for a solution to remove the muffler and block the hose and hole off. Well it was easier than I thought.

My son has from when he was a baby a set of different size plastic cups from a company called "the first years". They are hard, crack and temperature resistant(child proof). I found one that fit the air hose perfectly and you can even clamp it in place. I put it in from inside the airbox where the muffler was blocking the hole just like the fabspeed airbox kit and secured it ontop with the orig air hose and clamp blocking that part of it off that the orange cap hack does. There is absolutly no way this thing can come loose and go anywhere except into the airfilter and that would assume I was looseing the clamp which holds it into the rubber air hose which will only happen when I change the air filter and loosen the clamp to get the airbox out. In that case I would be putting it all back together anyway(I guess I could have glued it in place, but this way I can put it back to stock at anytime).

From the outside it looks completely stock, but what a sound above 4000 rpm and also my airbox should breathe much freeier without the muffler taking up so much room.

So I esentially got the equivalent of the cold air kit for nearly nothing....

Cheers,
Corey

Old 12-06-2004, 08:12 AM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
too funny! do you have PSE as well? i think so.......how do the two sounds compliment each other?

BTW, can't wait till you leak out what you did to Porsche and suddenly there is a little cup with Porsche imprinted on the side for sale for $600 - just like the short shifter!

Old 12-06-2004, 09:33 AM
spr
spr is infamous around these parts
I did the same mod, delete the muffler with a 2" pumbers expansion stop. That is the only part needed, you just have to seal the rubber around the plastic lip right on the hose, then just tighten it down-

Old 12-06-2004, 09:56 AM
I didn't even bother sealing it, I just wedged it in tight. It is at least as tight as the factory seal(there is no rubber grommet or anything from the factory.

So the new hack is the 2" pcv plug w/ a rubber gromet. I think we should go in business and charge 100 bucks for it.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:05 AM
gfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to all
Orange Cap Mod

Any photos you could show of the mod/install would really be great!
Thanks,
Gregg

Old 12-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Just noticed the old muffler had a rubber o ring hidden into the moudling. So I removed it and put it on my "cup" to be completely safe.

I think I want to get a 2" pvc cap and see if it works and take some pictures. Then we can share the wealth of the "hack" easliy as the part should be easy to get. .

Old 12-06-2004, 12:17 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Hey Corey,
Can you claim it is faster like the fabspeed one?

Old 12-06-2004, 12:17 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by CoreyNJ

So the new hack is the 2" pcv plug w/ a rubber gromet. I think we should go in business and charge 100 bucks for it.
Corey, let's do it. I'd go one step further. Create a custom carbonfiber 2" plug and sell it for a 1000 bucks. People on this board will be jumping all over it.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Neil,

We essentially it is the same as their tiptronic cold air kit since they don't change the rubber tube from the MAF to the intake butterfly. In their marketecture for the 6speed, they claim their changing of the rubber tube with a new one with out ridges increase flow. My guess that part of it is "hog wash" as you have to pass so many other bends to get to that part that is doesn't effect it much.

Cheers,
Corey

P.S. it would be interesting to do a dyno before and after but my guess is if you gain anything it's like 1hp, but it does sound better.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:29 PM
uberjeph is infamous around these parts
You guys inspired me...i went out and bought a 1-1/4 PVC end cap (2" OD) for 99 cents and installed it, complete with the O-ring from the internal muffler. Corey's right, from 4k RPM on up you get a nice growl (i'm running a stock muffler). Took a whole 10 minutes to install, probably adds zero horsepower, but now i can put a sticker on my car "powered by home depot".

I was thinking of painting it black so that it'll absorb the heat of the intake air and get more HP...maybe making it out of aluminum and anodizing it so it'll look cool but you'll never see it...if you guys use either of these features, you owe me a percentage of sales...

Jeff

Old 12-06-2004, 09:24 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Are you guys serious? What's next duct tape and bailing wire?

Old 12-07-2004, 04:03 AM
How do you think the "Fabspeed" cold air kit got developed? This is exactly the kind of stuff "tuners" do to create their stuff and then the "productize" them with carbon fiber look and such and charge large markups so that people feel comfortable. I'm sure the fabspeed kit costs a whole $10 bucks to build and they charge $200. I learned this with saltwater fish tank stuff. You would not believe what they "conjure" up and charge for than can be created with PVC and/or a small injection molded part.

Cheers,
Corey...

Old 12-07-2004, 04:12 AM
One more, I'l going to look today to see if I can get an "end-cap" similar to the ones you use for sprinker hose(that would have a better sealing lip than a PVC pipe cap). I also think the colour is "grey" for those who care.

Also Jeff, if you cap does not have any lip, you should not use it as it could pull out. my plastic toy "cup" I am using now has a lip and cannot be pulled out without completely dissasembling the whole airbox. Hence forth the reason I'm going to go to the store today to see what generic stuff I can use. But even if your's doesn't have a lip, you did a good confirm test for me.

I'll post my results and any part numbers tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers,
Corey...

Old 12-07-2004, 11:22 AM
fasteddie99 is infamous around these parts
Photos please !!!

Old 12-07-2004, 05:24 PM
uberjeph is infamous around these parts
yup, mine has a small lip to the point where it won't pull through the lid of the airbox and it'll also hold the o-ring in place. it's kind of tall though, where it pushes into the boot past the first ridge so it's a good press fit and with the clamp holding it down, it's not going anywhere.

heh, i'm sure there are pieces on this car that cost a lot less than a dollar to make and do things that are a lot less 'cool'...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Decided to skip the orange cap and modify the airbox....