996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

The Ultimate "Mod" thread >>

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 06:43 AM
Chads996 is infamous around these parts
The Ultimate "Mod" thread >>

Ok doods...

I got the 996. Now is the time for tuning. My goal is the ultimate expression of a '99 996. That would be for me, a street drivable track car. Essentially, a Clubsport version. Lightweight, fast with an incredible ability to corner.

So, I ask you all. Let's list the best mods available (in your own opinion) for those newbies (like me) out there who are just starting up on their own project.

Here are the list of Mod Topics (feel free to add):

Intake / Intake Manifold - Engine breathing

Exhaust

Engine Misc.

Suspension

Safety

Wheels

Body Aerodynamics

Misc. (interior trim, doodads, etc.)

Thanks all! I look forward to the posting the final list!

-Chad

Old 12-07-2004, 06:51 AM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is infamous around these parts
Exhaust: Fabspeed
Suspension: EIBACH
Wheels: HRE
Body: TechArt
Misc: http://bumperplugs.com/

Old 12-07-2004, 09:04 AM
spr
spr is infamous around these parts
Suspension = eibach? BArf! If you are talking about lowering springs which to my knowledge all there is as I haven't seen a complete kit for then Barf? The stock shocks or any shocks will not be properly damped. My father had a set on his turbo when he got it, through an auction. After I drove the car hard for 200 miles the car would Pogo. Needless to say it was a joke. Put in one of the Porsche kits. As you want to club race the go pss9's or motons if budget is a consideration, x74, or H&R coilovers.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Re: The Ultimate "Mod" thread >>

Originally posted by Chads996
Ok doods...

Lightweight, fast with an incredible ability to corner.

-Chad
You already have this in it's stock state.

Anything else you might do is just butter.

So, here is my butter. (Actually you can see it in my signature and many of those on the board as well.)

Exhaust - Very individual, I wanted loud and mean...and weight loss. Just changing the exhaust does not give you any significant gain...keep that in mind. I have the Fabspeed Bypass pipes...no mufflers (loss of 55lbs or so)

Engine - Well, you are NA...so you can SC it. Seems to be the "in" thing to do lately.

Suspension - I have the PSS9 and H&R sways front and rear.

Safety - Roll bar and extinguisher

Wheels - Go with something lightweight. I have the Kinesis K18s, they are light.

Body Aerodynamics - My preference, naturally, is the GT3 kit.

Misc. - Remove your AC and compressor, add GT3 seats, remove your rear seats (I just did this.)...this will help with some weight loss.

Good luck and congrats on your car!

Doodette

Old 12-07-2004, 09:45 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
oh man.. how long have you got..

Old 12-07-2004, 10:12 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
I have the Porsche Sport Exhaust...I like it. Loud enough for me, and can be quiet when you are not stomping the gas

Suspension: I think the only way to go is the Bilstein PSS-9. Adjustability, and performance.

Body, go with a GT3 kit. There are 2 kinds, the 99-01 version which is basically a bolt on for your car, has the "S" shaped rear wing, lower front bumper rear bumper skirts and side skirts. Then there is the 02-04 GT3 kit which has the newer style wing, more angular side skirts, no rear bumper skirt and a completely new front end which you would have to update your bumper, headlights and fenders. I would go with a mix personally. A 99-01 GT3 front bumper, 02-04 side skirts and rear wing.

Wheels....The 02-04 GT3 wheels are sweet, light, wide and fit perfectly on the narrow body car. There are many, many options for you there.

Engine: Supercharger if you want more performance. But you may feel (like me) that the 3.4 is plenty of performance out of the box.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Captain Tal is infamous around these parts
Dood,

You need to find a reputable Tuner and let them help you design your optimum ride. This board is a good start but nothing will replace the advice and assistance you will get once you develop a "relationship" with your Tuner.

Here's a TIP with a Captial T. Don't milk these guys for free advice and then head off on your own to accomplish the work. Pay for the work and get satisfaction that you are leaning on years and years of good experience. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:31 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
short shift kit and clear markers should be first 2 mods....

Old 12-07-2004, 10:48 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
get the supercharger that ben. lj is selling.. he's selling it for a really great price to.. i think he'll even pay for the install on your car. i beleive...

pm him... ben , lj...

sc it man

Old 12-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Don't Mod...just keep is stock, like mine.

Old 12-07-2004, 02:44 PM
wyo996 is infamous around these parts
Supercharger will give you a new car. Clear side markers, short shifter, Cargraphic or Fabspeed mufflers for less weight and great sound will be the cheapest fun mods. Carbon fiber interior parts, pedels, nav-dvd sound system, GT3 seats, custom floor mats , roll cage, front and rear strut tower braces are all nice. Then maybe front and rear GT2 or Turbo bumpers, wings, skirts. Fiksi wheels are lighter and cheaper than HRE's. Booothe center caps with Porsche crests are nice. Turbo tips and suspension, and don't forget the clear mask and mud flaps (haha). Will

Old 12-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Dev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really nice
Does anyone know of Porsche performance centers located in the northern part of NJ or NYC?

Old 12-07-2004, 04:23 PM
CA 996 is infamous around these parts
Kirbling what ya smoking "crack"

Old 12-07-2004, 08:14 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Don't mix and match the factory kits, a lot of hours went in the design of the entire aero packages. Ruf also makes a good aerokit for the 996. As for most of the other aftermarket aerokits and wings, most of them have never seen a wind tunnel, I wouldn't want them on my car.
For suspension start with the RoW or X kits from the factory, they are well engineered and require no adjustments. If you want a more serious track setup look at coilovers from H&R, Moton, Penske etc.
Exhaust, PSE sounds good ( heavy and $$) but the aftermarket mufflers are just as good and might even add a little power.
Most important, go to a DE or PDE and learn to drive the car at the track.
Of course just my .02, I'm probably wrong.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Banned
RWDRIFTC2 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by DJ996
Don't mix and match the factory kits, a lot of hours went in the design of the entire aero packages. Ruf also makes a good aerokit for the 996. As for most of the other aftermarket aerokits and wings, most of them have never seen a wind tunnel, I wouldn't want them on my car.
For suspension start with the RoW or X kits from the factory, they are well engineered and require no adjustments. If you want a more serious track setup look at coilovers from H&R, Moton, Penske etc.
Exhaust, PSE sounds good ( heavy and $$) but the aftermarket mufflers are just as good and might even add a little power.
Most important, go to a DE or PDE and learn to drive the car at the track.
Of course just my .02, I'm probably wrong.
I think you can mix and match just fine. I have Techart Front Bumper, GT3 Side Skirts, and Turbo Rear Bumper with Techart pieces. I would recommend the JIC Magic Cross Suspension with the softest setting springs, Fabspeed Exhaust and Headers with EVO Performance Chip.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate "Mod" thread >>