996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Change break pads by non-Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2009 | 05:52 PM
|
porsche510 is infamous around these parts
Change break pads by non-Porsche

Hello do I have to take my car to change brake pads to a Porsche mechanic or can this be done anywhere? (I'll have to bring my own parts obviously) I saw an ad in California front break pads replaced $250 labor and parts included (pads only). I am not in California I am in Chicago, looking to save money. Also the rotors look pretty shiny, they don't look bad, how can I tell I need new rotors? Thanks !

Last edited by porsche510; 12-13-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2009 | 06:44 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
if you want to save money, do the job yourself. these cars are by far the easiest brake jobs i have ever come across.
look on renntech.org for walkthroughs in the DIY section.
but if you are not into that, yeah, anyone could do these cars. very simple.

dealer will usually say you should do the rotors every time. i did not last time. mainly just need to measure the thickness left on the rotors... i dont know the specs, but that is also probably on renntech.
good luck

Old 12-10-2009 | 09:13 PM
fotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by porsche510
Hello do I have to take my car to change break pads to a Porsche mechanic or can this be done anywhere? (I'll have to bring my own parts obviously) I saw an ad in California front break pads replaced $250 labor and parts included (pads only). I am not in California I am in Chicago, looking to save money. Also the rotors look pretty shiny, they don't look bad, how can I tell I need new rotors? Thanks !
If you only do pads, it's a 30min job... This is the easiest brake job one can find.
If you're not worried about getting your hands dirty and want to learn something along the way, do it yourself. It may take you an hour but you'll have the satisfaction of having done it!

You can find OEM Pads from Pagid/Textar ~$100 at pelicanparts.com
check renntech.org for complete DIY with pictures...

Old 12-10-2009 | 10:57 PM
GriffC4S is infamous around these parts
Really easy job using the DIYs. Depending on mileage and if you have your service records you may or may not need rotors. If the rotors have been replaced in the last 20K or 30K you will probably be ok, however this is a good time to investg in micrometer to see if they are in spec. You you have a c2 or c4, the rotors are not too bad in price. However if you have a C4S then the rotor are expensive and few places make them ( I used OEM for everything). IF you brakes are chriping then you will also need sensors. But not chirping, don't need sensors, but check for any wear. Please there is no need to remove the calipers from the setup just ot replace pads, but if replacing rotors, do not disconnect the brake lines, just hang the unbolted calipers in the wheel well with some strong wire to get them out of the way. I use a C Clamp to close down the calipers to get the new brake pads into the caliper. And remember to watch the master cylinder resevoir to over filling when depressing the calipers. ANd you should replace the brake fluid every 2 years or 30K or much sooner if tracking the car, which I leave to my indy (about $150 with Motul Brake Fluid)

Old 12-13-2009 | 02:46 PM
|
Wow that's a lot of great advice. Thank you all very much. I won't be able to do this myself , I would think I would need at least some tools, and I don't know what calipers are.

My brakes not chirping and the light never came on - my tech told me I need them replaced.

Old 12-13-2009 | 03:44 PM
rudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the rough
Our cars are great cars to learn on... it takes more time getting the wheels off than it does to change the pads... I just did mine about a month ago... the instructions say you need to change the hardware, shims and sensors... but when I pulled all my stuff out, the only thing I needed were the sensors and I ended up doing the mod to shut the sensors off... Really, really easy.

Rudy

Old 12-13-2009 | 06:02 PM
|
So I can do this myself in my condo garage (I have one space, next to other cars) without any additional tools?

Old 12-14-2009 | 03:46 PM
GriffC4S is infamous around these parts
Basically you will need to left the front of the car and take off the rims and put on some sort of jackstands, Don/t depend on the stock jack to hold the car. You can do one wheel at a time. You will need at least a strong wood stick or c clamp to push back the calipers so that you can fit the new pads into place. But very little tools are needed, you may need a socket set and some screw drivers. Remember to break the wheel lugs first before lifting the wheels up. You are supposed to torque wrench the wheel lugs back on but tighten then up a snug as you possibly can, then go to a tire store and ask then to torque the lugs. AS FAR AS THE SENSORS. they work by being broken down by the rotor inside the pad, a current begins to flow thru them and sends a signal to your computer and thus the light goes on. You do not need to replace them if the light is not on (sensor is broken), BUT most mechanics will replace all the parts to the brakes, and Porsche says that you must also replace the caliper bolts as well. Mechanics get real freaked out on brakes because of legal implications and usually do everything to the brakes to cover themselves legally. It is one of those things that you have to be careful in doing because your safety is at risk. If you have any problems with it, leave it to the pros.

Old 12-15-2009 | 10:03 PM
|
I'll probably watch it done for the first time and try it myself next time or on the rears. Thanks again!

Old 12-16-2009 | 02:12 AM
jonedan is infamous around these parts
Hey,
Personally, I also suggest you use OEM pads and rotors. I tried a non-OEM pad to reduce brake dust and solved that problem but experienced very poor braking, especially when the pads were wet or even damp. The car took much longer to stop. Never again for me. They were downright scary.However, I have had several rotors re-surfaced at different pad changes, but only once per rotor. I have had no problems with the re-surfacing. The cars were serviced at MB except for the non-OEM pads.

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2009 | 12:37 PM
|
I'll use OEM. I don't track. Thanks again everyone!

Old 12-17-2009 | 11:57 PM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
The OEM brake pads are great overall, I'd recommend them.

Old 12-18-2009 | 11:52 AM
rs2k2k is infamous around these parts
+1 on oem ads, and +1 on doing it yourself, if you need step by step instructions with pics pm me.

Old 12-18-2009 | 05:08 PM
L8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to all
Def do it yourself....I had a buddy time me when changing pads on his 996TT and it took me 12 minutes from wheel off to wheel on the ground again.

Personally I don't like stock pads as they dust too much, but it is hard to find pads for a C4S.

Old 01-22-2010 | 10:55 AM
DeskJob1 is infamous around these parts
rs2k2k - is it too late to accept your offer ?
thanks