996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Iphone use with 220 Factory unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:02 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TdiRacing
Finally searched online for more info and bought an adapter from PIE that plugs into the back where the CD changer(will not work once unplugged but never used it once anyways) connects. Seems like the easiest way to do it. Supposed to charge the iphone as well when connected. Will see when it arrives if it works as it says or not. People were laughing when I asked about it because no one keeps the stock HU anymore...."those are so old and crappy, upgrade man..." is all heard. Thanks everyone. Will post pictures if it works just in case someone else MAY want to do this as well.

which is exactly what the icable does (as i mentioned above), i also have the other cable at home (as i mentioned above) and it did not charge my nano even thought they said it would, the icable did

Last edited by buzzm; 12-18-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:56 AM
TdiRacing is infamous around these parts
I saw some that looked like they had an extra power and ground wire. This may be what charges the iphone. Cable was cheap $13 shipped. If it does not work, I will get one of the other ones with the extra wires and try it. The one I ordered looks like it just plugs into the radio, so not sure there is power for charging from the radio or needs external power source. May not get the right one, but until i try it, wont know. They said I can return or exchange it if it does not work.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 AM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
iwirep.com

Old 12-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Went to the site there at iwire. Very confusing info there. Some charge only some play audio only, so who knows what to believe. Will try out what I ordered when it comes in and see if it works and what it does...

Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Update: I received my cable today and it does play music using my wife's itouch gen1. It does not charge it thought. I am not sure if there is no power wiring going to it from the radio, or if it is a voltage issue. It did not say there was a "incompatible charging" thing like I have seen before with iphones, so likely there is just no power going to the cable from the radio. I was told that some newer i pods use 5v instead of 12v and that an adapter/converter may work. Not sure if this is true or not as we have a 1st Gen itouch, so it should work. I would rather have the charging option if I am going to install it, so will continue my quest.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
That's too bad. I have an iPhone 3GS, and would love a cable that both charges and plays that plugs into the back of the head unit, and I could've sworn I came across something of this nature not too long ago, but don't see it now...

Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
try this, i had one and it charged and played my nano

http://www.iwirep.com/products/iwirep-220-ipod

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-12-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: active link to a commercial non sponsor site
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
I think you'd have a market for that cable if you ever make it (and it's under say $60), I'd most likely not only buy one for myself, but at least one other as a present, and point it out to friends that have been looking for one!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 AM
What would be the best way to just get it to play music and not charge? I am leary about plugging my new 3gs into some unknown cable and frying it. It looks like the connection on the back is just an input, so most of the avail. the cables should work to just play music, but not sure. I tried to find the pin diagram for the Cr220, but can't find it right now...

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-12-2010 at 06:02 PM.