996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Iphone use with 220 Factory unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 AM
TdiRacing is infamous around these parts
Iphone use with 220 Factory unit?

My wife is bugging me to find out how to be able to use her new Iphone 3gs to play music thought the factory Blaupunkt 220 radio? Is there a simple aux input that can used to plug into the back to hook it up? Car is a 1999 C2. Any info or link to who may help is appreciated...

Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i used 'icable' with my ipod nano, not sure if it works with iphone, i would assume it does, do a search, its mentioned on the site somewhere

Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 AM
leighspped is infamous around these parts
my phone will say it its not a accepted application of the phone but its always winds up working. havent had it not work in any aplication where you can plus in the apples proparitary plug. hope that helps

Old 12-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
I think even if you do get to work for your music you'll have to manually disconnect it to use the phone. I would have definitely preferred keeping my stock HU, but really wanted streaming audio and BT phone so I went with an aftermarket HU.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Which HU did you use? Did you have the factory amplifier? Wondering what i can do that is simple. Dont want to spend a grip on it either.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:42 AM
My wife has an itouch as well so phone use is not really a big deal for her. There must be some aux input that can be added to the back I would think? I guess I have to pull the radio and take a look.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TdiRacing
Which HU did you use? Did you have the factory amplifier? Wondering what i can do that is simple. Dont want to spend a grip on it either.
Sorry for the delay. I have the Pioneer Premier DEH-P710BT. It is a rather expensive single DIN HU, but I really wanted something I wasn't going have to do the BT fight with all the time. It does the BT sync reliably and streams music from my iPhone via BT (or direct cable if you prefer) I prefer BT because I find the iPhone interface better than trying to navigate the iPhone music via the HU. Those are the pros.

The cons are the steering wheel mounted remote is NOT reliable. The only time it is consistent is at night when there is no light interference. I'm not one for obnoxious fast and furious radio displays of today, which is one of the reasons I chose this model and overall it has a pretty subtle look. Well the LCD inverts about every 10 seconds. I.E. it goes from black background with blue lettering (preferred) to blue background and black lettering (too bright) and this is very distracting to me. I find myself glancing at the display every time it changes. So, I turn the display off. It temporarily comes on anytime you make an adjustment and then turns back off. Not a good solution, but it is what it is.

I would not buy it again.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 AM
The car is completely stock and do not want to invest a bunch of money into the stereo. My wife knows how I am so she wants something simple really like an Aux plug to just plug in and go. I have not had time to pull the radio and look at what is available for it. Hope to do that today some time.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 AM
immuneone is infamous around these parts
FM modulator

If powering the I Pod isn't an issue, install an FM modulator. The hard wired units work well. I use this for both my I Pod and XM radio.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Dension Icelink should work... not 100% sure though, Eric would know for sure. He sells them from BumperPlugs.com, good guy and will steer you in the right direction, he's a sponsor on here.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:02 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i have a cable at home that should work for you, i ended up not using it as i got a really good deal on a new head unit, pm me if your interested

Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Don
Originally Posted by buzzm
i have a cable at home that should work for you, i ended up not using it as i got a really good deal on a new head unit, pm me if your interested
That certainly is a low ($100) cost option that keeps your stock HU, but I found them to be a PITA syncing and then having to change the radio stations to have good reception. If, by hardwiring, you mean circumventing the FM modulation that would be much better and you could probably live with the syncing challenges.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:30 AM
seems you are looking for cheap and simple, you just need a cable to plug into the back of your head unit, install is simple assuming you have the stereo removal tools, i dont think they work in conjunction with a cd changer as it uses the aux function

i have a cable that plays but wouldnt charge my ipod nano (it said that it charges devices, dont think mine is one of them, it may charge iphone etc, havent tried) its yours for $20.00 shipped if you want it pm me

Old 12-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Finally searched online for more info and bought an adapter from PIE that plugs into the back where the CD changer(will not work once unplugged but never used it once anyways) connects. Seems like the easiest way to do it. Supposed to charge the iphone as well when connected. Will see when it arrives if it works as it says or not. People were laughing when I asked about it because no one keeps the stock HU anymore...."those are so old and crappy, upgrade man..." is all heard. Thanks everyone. Will post pictures if it works just in case someone else MAY want to do this as well.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Edit my post above. Is an actual Blaupunkt adapter i ordered. PIE makes one as well for the 8 wire plug of the CR220 HU.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Iphone use with 220 Factory unit?