996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Finally bought my 1st Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:59 PM
BallJee is infamous around these parts
Finally bought my 1st Porsche

After years of thinking and a few months of seriously looking, I finally bought my 1st Porsche. I practically stole it from this bigbox used car place. It is an 02 996, MT with 34KM, new tires, new brakes, new front rotors, new tag, upgraded wheels, bose, power seats with memory, HID, ..... original sticke was over $75K back in 02. It is in excellent condition and I get all these for $24,988 (love living in California). I bought a 5yr/60KM extended warranty from them for $2K so I am good til 2014/96KM. My album has a few pictures from the dealer listing and I have not get a chance to take some pictures of my own. I already put over a couple hundred miles on it in just 3 days and loving every moment. May be I should take my friend's advice to buy a stool so I can seat in the garage looking at this new ride all the time. I know I will be enjoying it for years to come.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:00 AM
direwolf is infamous around these parts
Congrats on your new P-car!!!! That sounds like a great deal. I can imagine how excited you must be!! I too have been considering one for about a year and just came across one which looks good. I wonder what you think about it in comparison to the deal you got...

2003 996 C2
12,000 miles
Seal Gray
Black int.
6-speed
Xenon package
Heated / Power sport seats
Bose high end sound
18" Alloy Carrera wheels
Supple leather front and rear.
Suede headliner
$28,500

Here is the thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...good-deal.html

It looks as though these cars are very similarily equiped. The car I am looking at does NOT have PSM or Full Leather, does yours? The wheels you have look very similar except the ones on "my" car have only 5 spokes.

I can get a 48mo/48k mile "Total Shield Platinum" warranty which covers almost everything for $2500. Your warranty deal sounds better. Do you know who it is through? To me, getting this warranty which will allow 4 years of worry free enjoyment is totally worth it.

Now get out there and drive!!! We are lucky to live in Calif!!!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi,

Looks like your car is exactly the same as mine except for the 18" wheels. With 12KM and a year younger, it is also an excellent deal.
My car does not have full leather or PSM (which I prefer), it isn't my 1st choice of color either (I am a blk/blk kind of guy), however for the condition of the car and considering the price, I really can't pass this up. Also I bought it from a reputable dealer (I think I can say CARMAX without getting into trouble with the blog police ). The extented warranty is obviosuly from CARMAX and the coverage is extensive with $50 deductable if getting repairs from them and $75 deductable if getting repairs anywhere else including the Porsche dealership.

I love the raw power and the engine growl. I haven't even put in any CDs in the CD changer. Oh, the kids love it too, they think they are at an amusement ride.

Don't want to bore you but initially I was considering the Boxster but I figure if I am going to spend money on an fun (extra) car, the kids might as well get to enjoy it too. You really can't go wrong with the Carrera. I test drove a local one owner private party speed yellow 02 C4s MT in excellent condition with 27KM for $31K. I almost bought it but decided against it because the yellow might attract too much attention (especially from the cops). I also test drove an 04 C2 blk/blk at a Santa Monica dealer with 32KM for $32K, it has PSM, white gauges but not full leather and there were some minor body paint chips but the deal breaker was it had the Tiptronic. If I want to drive an automatic, I can use my blk/blk Volvo S60 .

Anyway, I hope you get yours soon and start enjoying.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:26 PM
That does sound like a good deal you got on the warranty if it covers most stuff. I will check to see if they sell just warranties.

I checked out CARMAX's site and given the asking prices I see there I figure you must have talked them down quite a bit. Please dont mind me asking but I am curious what they were "asking" for your car?

I will keep you posted on my progress!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Actually there was no haggling on the price so $24,988 was what it was listed for. I was basically looking online on various sites daily. I saw it 1st appeared last Wednesday during lunch time and it didn't even have pictures posted yet. Given the mileage and price, I called them right away and scheduled a test drive after work. I was happy to have my friend help me checked it out. I believe I was the 1st one to call about the vehicle and definitely the 1st person to test drive it. They told me they have many calls after me and some even offer to ship it out of state so I guess I was lucky.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
Congrats or your purchase. I'm sure you will love it...I still miss my old 996.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by BallJee
I was lucky.
Better lucky than good....?!?

It's all about timing. That is how I am in the position with the car I am looking at... which I am ready to buy tomorrow...
And then I found this car last night...

2003 Porsche Carrera with X51 (996 mk.II) 3.6L Flat 6, 345 bhp
53K miles
Arctic Silver Metallic over Black Leather
Highly Optioned, Excellent Condition, Low Mileage, No Aftermarket, Babied, Never Tracked, Adult Owned (37 y.o.)
Local California Car since new.

6-speed manual transmission with hydraulic clutch.
Twin exhaust pipes.
Roofliner in Alcantara.
Split folding rear seats.
Automatic full climate control.
Automatically deployed rear spoiler.
Central locking with remote control and alarm.
Cruise Control & Onboard Computer

• 2003 Porsche Carrera Base Price - $68,600
• X51 Carrera Power Kit 345 HP - $13,990
Includes modified cylinder heads, camshafts, exhaust manifolds, control unit, additional, central water radiator, and aluminum intake manifold.
• Porsche Sports Chassis/Suspension (M030) - $705
• Arctic Silver Metallic Paint - $825
• 18" Light Alloy Carrera Wheels - $1,435
• Porsche Stability Management (PSM) - $1,235
• Bose High End Sound Package - $1,625
• Litronic Bi-xenon HID Headlights & Headlight Washers - $1,090
• Heated front seats - $410
• Leather Sport Seats -$760
• Full Leather Package $3,280
• Metal Door Sill Model Insignia - $425
• Alum/Lthr Shifter/Brake Handle - $885
• Rear Window Wiper- $345
• Silver instrument surrounds
• Arctic Silver Center Console Rear Center Console Alu-Look - $735
• Porsche European Smoked Front Side Markers - $30
• Bumper Plugs Front License Plate Mounting Hole Covers

Asking $32,000

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1514828983.html

Drove it today... really great condition, even not considering the miles. The X-51 package really adds a kick and the suspension is tighter but not too stiff. Descisions, descisions, descisions....

Love to hear what you think about this car!

Last edited by direwolf; 12-21-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:51 PM
rudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the rough
Congrats on a great looking car. Yes, that's a great deal and yes, Cal is great place to find good deals on these cars. Welcome to the board!

Rudy

Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 PM
cap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant future
welcome to the 6

Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 PM
rs2k2k is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by direwolf
Better lucky than good....?!?

It's all about timing. That is how I am in the position with the car I am looking at... which I am ready to buy tomorrow...
And then I found this car last night...

2003 Porsche Carrera with X51 (996 mk.II) 3.6L Flat 6, 345 bhp
53K miles
Arctic Silver Metallic over Black Leather
Highly Optioned, Excellent Condition, Low Mileage, No Aftermarket, Babied, Never Tracked, Adult Owned (37 y.o.)
Local California Car since new.

6-speed manual transmission with hydraulic clutch.
Twin exhaust pipes.
Roofliner in Alcantara.
Split folding rear seats.
Automatic full climate control.
Automatically deployed rear spoiler.
Central locking with remote control and alarm.
Cruise Control & Onboard Computer

• 2003 Porsche Carrera Base Price - $68,600
• X51 Carrera Power Kit 345 HP - $13,990
Includes modified cylinder heads, camshafts, exhaust manifolds, control unit, additional, central water radiator, and aluminum intake manifold.
• Porsche Sports Chassis/Suspension (M030) - $705
• Arctic Silver Metallic Paint - $825
• 18" Light Alloy Carrera Wheels - $1,435
• Porsche Stability Management (PSM) - $1,235
• Bose High End Sound Package - $1,625
• Litronic Bi-xenon HID Headlights & Headlight Washers - $1,090
• Heated front seats - $410
• Leather Sport Seats -$760
• Full Leather Package $3,280
• Metal Door Sill Model Insignia - $425
• Alum/Lthr Shifter/Brake Handle - $885
• Rear Window Wiper- $345
• Silver instrument surrounds
• Arctic Silver Center Console Rear Center Console Alu-Look - $735
• Porsche European Smoked Front Side Markers - $30
• Bumper Plugs Front License Plate Mounting Hole Covers

Asking $32,000

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1514828983.html

Drove it today... really great condition, even not considering the miles. The X-51 package really adds a kick and the suspension is tighter but not too stiff. Descisions, descisions, descisions....

Love to hear what you think about this car!

thats a hard loaded car! both full leather and x51! I would look into that one. I dont think the miles are that high, Hows the service history?

Old 12-22-2009, 11:35 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
Congrats on the 996! Wow, that's a great price for the low mileage!

I'm also in the market for an '02 996. But the choices don't look that great around the area (New York City).

Is there anything about the 996 you don't like so far? I'm worried about IMS/RMS failure.
This might be a stupid question, but is that covered under your extended warranty?

Last edited by MrNurse; 12-22-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:01 AM
rs2k2k is infamous around these parts
im also from nyc, I was looking for a nice 996 for about 4 months. 99 percent of the cars ive been to see had no service history, had previous damage, and were plainly not taked care of as the should have been.

I wound up picking up a certified pre owned 2003 c4s from a dealer in pennsylvania. Its was completely mint, had a full history. It was more money than from a independant dealer. But the 24 month 100k porsche warranty and the condition ,warranted the premium.

Porsche will only certify a car with full service history by porsche and no evidence of paint work besides the bumpers i believe.

I would recommend the same to anyone in the market for a 996. Dont be fooled by the low prices for earlier 996 models on the private market. Repair work can be very very expensive.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:24 AM
150shot is infamous around these parts
Balljee- congrats on the car. Great price- i hope to pick one up as well soon as I'm unloading a car next month for the porsche. I'd love to check it out sometime as well.

GOod thread and comparison info on whats out there right now.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:19 PM
NYCflip22, the CARMAX extended warranty covers the seals therefore IMS/RMS.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
The X51 package on a 996 is really special, and extensive. It's well worth a premium, particularly if the car's to see track time.

Anyway, these cars are all great deals, I can't believe some of the deals that are available right now...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally bought my 1st Porsche