996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Problem with window feature...help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Problem with window feature...help

so fo no reason today my auto windo feature (when you open the door the window goes does a quater inch or so) isnt working right...when i grab the door handle it goes down...but goes right back up again unless i hold the door handle...so when i close the door the window is not down enogh and gets cut on the conv.top... any help guys thanx...

Old 12-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
The microswitch in the door latch is inoperative, somewhat common problem.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
whats the fix?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Replacement... The microswitch itself is not available separately, but you could probably make a different one work if you're mechanically inclined. I've seen somebody adapt an Audi microswitch.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:56 PM
BTW, I'm not advocating trying to rig something together, I suggest you replace the whole latch, which is what any shop would do.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:57 PM
For clarification, it's the latch microswitch if the window goes down when you pull either the inside or the outside door handle, but goes back up when you release regardless of if the door's open or not.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:27 PM
the window goes up and down when i touch the handle, just when i open the door it thinks the door is closed....the dome light even turns off

Old 12-30-2009, 06:29 PM
win911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud of
From the symptoms you describe....your problem is the door latch. Change the door latch and you will be fine.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 AM
Indeed, sounds like the microswitch in the door latch is not functioning properly. It's generally the plunger in that microswitch that gets worn or breaks off.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:38 AM
how much?, where is the best place to buy?, and how hard is it to install?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:34 AM
First time you're doing it may take you an hour to 90 minutes or so, if you're reasonably experienced in working on cars. The latch itself can be had for around $200 if I remember correctly, I got it from my parts supplier but your dealer will have it, and you can always order from a competitively priced official parts source like Suncoast Porsche. I do not believe Pelican and the like carry it, of course you can always check.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 AM
aben8057 is infamous around these parts
I would recommend ohming out the switch and checking continuity before ordering the parts.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Diagnostics before parts replacement is sound advice indeed, however this is a very common failure, and the symptoms point to the latch microswitch...

Old 12-31-2009, 02:58 PM
the latch makes sence cuz when the symptom started when it was real cold out th other day and i closed the door ,but it didnt latch all the way andi hit the lock button on the key...then when i went to close the door it started acting up ...so im assuimging the micro switch us stuck in the closed position..if i could see it i wonder if i could pop it out ....

Old 12-31-2009, 03:29 PM
The microswitch failure mode I've seen most often is closed indeed, but not because it's "stuck" per say, but the plunger gets worn out or broken off. It's a fair amount of work to get to it, and a common failure, so I would recommend just planing on replacing the latch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem with window feature...help